Alice Adams: "Viper Club, Confederation....or Cult?"

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice Adams: \"Viper Club, Confederation....or Cult?\"

Please help me with this.

Using approximate numbers, there are 14,000 Dodge Vipers manufactured. Correct?

Of these, is there an inventory of how remain in existence today...salvage title or not?

Follow with me here:

a. For every four Vipers having ever been sold, there is one member VCA member
b. Some indiviuals own more than one Viper (or trade q3 weeks)
c. Thus, an impressive proportion of Viper owners are VCA members.

Add these data:
a. Porsche owners have no necessary affinity for each other or shared interest in their vehicles. The vehicles represent status, class, and good engineering. It is not emotional; it is a sound business decision. Proportionate to sales numbers, few Porsche owners seek out Porsche club membership. Correct?
b. Proportion to vast sales surpassing 50 years, few Corvette owners belong to a Corvette club. Is this also correct?

Then who are Viper owners? I offer up that Viper owners are:
a. Automotive extremists (lacking only an Italian accent)
b. Are obsessively involved in everything from detailing to adding dual turbos
c. Are more interested in dyno numbers than window stickers
d. Have purchased their vehicle long after longing and lusting for it.
e. Are obsessively preoccupied with factory plans and feeling that they have some, and want more, input into design and engineering considerations
f. Readily share mods and tune tips with their brethren
g. Have an almost religious response to their cars, from weeping to physiologic responses that cannot be posted here
h. Love everything Viper, and any other Viper automatically garners respect and admiration from them
i. View design defects as "special features"
j. See driving as a developed skill, not passive commuting
k. Welcome rather than exclude all new owners
l. Are rarely mean-spirited, immediately supportive, and freely offer anything and everything they have learned from Zaino to legal defenses in court

Thus, I submit that this is, indeed, the Viper CULT of America. This should be made clear to all prospective buyers.

Alice

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Alice Adams:

Alice, I would like to see your resume. Would have to include English, Engineering, Journalism, and, perhaps, Literature.
Oh, I forgot Philosophy!

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rick:

My resume appears in most post offices. I was once among the top ten most wanted by the FBI, but I dropped to 7th place.

You have to tour or the audience drops off.

Actually, I was a psychology and business major, but I am also a nurse.

I am very electrical/mechanical and appear to immediately grasp automotives, audio-video and animal husbandry. My greatest ambition, if I am crowned, would be for world peace.

Ever been to Western Hills?

Alice

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also have a psych degree; currently writing a sports (golf) learning research project for prepubescents, on a dissertation. Doing a lot of reading since child psychology/physiology/soc. dev. was not my area of concentration.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i think around 16,000+ gen I & II and approx. 4000+ SRT still very small numbers considering its in the 14th model year run so far. great posts. agreed btw we are the krishnas of cars.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Michael:

Are you certain of those numbers. Someone sent me a link to total Viper productions, broken down into colors, models, years, etc.

I felt certain it was 14k total, but perhaps I am incorrect.

That was my point. I do believe, and it is why I personally am here, that this is a unique "cult". It appears far more than a club. Or far more than a club as most car makes and models conceive of them.

Alice

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

If memory serves me correctly, at VOI.7 (Nashville, Sept., 2002) is was stated during one of the speeches that approximately 60% of the existing Vipers (with 12% no longer with us) were indeed owned by VCA members.( at that time, the Gen III were still being held at the factory...so, the numbers likely represented just Gen I 's and II's).

Again, this is MY recollection of the speech...others may support or correct these numbers.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is really difficult to get a congruous owner profile on Viper owners. Ages, income, education, intelligence seem to vary incredibly.
I would say that this is not true for Porsche, Camaro, and, say, Buick Club owners.
Why does the Viper attract such a variety of people? What is that one personality factor in our collective psyche that we share?
Exhibitionism perhaps?

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wish I could remember the URL of the page that listed the Viper manufacturing stats; perhaps someone else can contribute.

We seem to see a range of owners from those that are very well healed financially to those for whom this represented a great financial sacrifice.

I concur that this is quite different from the Porsche owners.

BTW: What is a "Camaro"? Is that like a car?

Sorry, could not resist. Indeed, I often cannot.

Also, aside from demographics of education, income and gender, there is region of the country. Some must store their Vipers in winter. For those of us in the South, for example, we still have our top down and should be likely do so until close to Thanksgiving and then again in late February. We rarely see snow. And it never rains until after sundown, and by 9am the morning mist has flown. In short, there's simply not, a more congenial spot (Lines from "Camelot")

Alice

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wish I could remember the URL of the page that listed the Viper manufacturing stats; perhaps someone else can contribute.

http://ivr.viperclub.org/build.php

Egad, now over 22,000 Vipers on the road? That is darn near as many as there are Corvettes made - every eight months... :D

Remind me to ask you guys on one of the quarterly "So what do you do for a living?" posts what you think of a psychology major. My eldest son is contemplating this among a few others.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris:

(An undergraduate degree and masters degree in psychology offers minimal employment potential. It is useful only as part of the path to a doctorate in the field. Careers at the doctoral level vary from whether the concentration is in experiemental psychology (thus academic), the clinical fields (academic or practice), forensic (practice), industrial-organizational (consulting), educational (educational consulting), neuropsychology (research, practice, consulting) and a host of others. The most productive undergraduate degree is in engineering since there is a dirth in that area, and M.S. in (for example) electrical engineering) is in very high demand.)

How did you come to the figure of 22k total Vipers on the road? I did not see that figure.

Does anyone have a photo of the VOI Nashville car with guitar theme?

Alice

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How did you come to the figure of 22k total Vipers on the road?

Add everything up to date and then throw in the 2435 made in 2004 and you exceed the 22K mark. Of course that does not include attrition due to wrecks, race car conversions, or permanent garage queens. You can still expect to see a Viper on the road about as often as a Bugatti...

Thanks for the tips on a career path for my kiddo!

Chris

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alice you have been in the medical field too long. It's well-heeled. Although, I assume your patients are well-healed.
(Couldn't help it either.)
A psychology major leads to very few jobs that relate directly to the field. My first job out of college was as an employment counsellor.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was, as a matter-of-fact, nominated as a American Presidential Nominee through the Church of the Utterly Indifferent. The five that atttended my first rally (members of my family) appeared unconcerned and disinterested and when I completed what I felt to be an inspiring speech, two yawned, two looked distracted, and one said "huh?"

So, thank you. But look for me in 2008. Alternatively, if President Houss can be impeached, you can place me in office immediately to finish out his term. I can promise you that this will create what the Viper Cult of America truly needs. Chaos.

Regarding the field of psychology, my husband has five degrees including a post-doctoral fellowship in the field. My daughter's first degree was in psychology. Work is available with a B.A./B.S. but it is not lucrative. She returned for a second bachelors in business/technology and is completing a master's (and then a doctorate) in technology (learning systems and best practices). This area is very much in demand. Psychology as an undergraduate degree is academically interesting, but has the marketplace value of "a communications major." Times have changed, and the marketplace has tightened significantly.

Now, may we return to discussing this Cult and the likely involvement of the feds in tracking our activities. (This is, by the way, falls under the Federal Taskforce "House of Un-General Motors Activities."

Alice

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does anyone have a photo of the VOI Nashville car with guitar theme?

Alice

Here are some pics from my gallery. Not real crazy about the whole guitar theme but then it is free(well probably around $40K after taxes and registration) and one of a kind. Fang on the hood is pretty cool. It does look much better in person.

2827raffle03_003s.jpg

2827raffle03_006s.jpg

2827raffle03_004s.jpg

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Alice Adams: \"Viper Club, Confederation....or Cult?\"

Thus, I submit that this is, indeed, the Viper CULT of America. This should be made clear to all prospective buyers.

Dr. Adams.

You say it like it's a bad thing. :D So how do you really feel about it? Are you psycho-analyzing Viper Nation and its members for a dissertation? It'll take a lifetime and you'll never finish. :D

Good Luck! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My husband is Dr. Adams, not I.

And...of course, cult was offered as humor.

A cult is a system of strong beliefs that border on a religious obsession. Thus, the concept of a Viper Cult was (received by most as humorous) to describe the "zeal and fervor" with which we like these cars.

"Warning potential buyers" (another attempt at humor) obviously meant "prepare the new owner to be totally obsessed with his Viper and think of little else."

The Nashville VOI car is "interesting." Initially, I liked it because it has a guitar (of which I am a collector) theme, but it wears on you rather quickly. This year's car was less in-your-face. But thanks for showing me the photos.

Alice

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Alice, I've enjoyed your posts as I've been trolling the Gen 3 forum more and more as the SRT is really growing on me - especially the <font color="white"> White </font> Mamba. <font color="blue"> Must have missed the ones that talked about your decision to go to the </font> <font color="black"> DARK SIDE </font> <font color="blue"> from the </font> <font color="red"> RIGHT SIDE. </font>

<font color="red"> VIPER </font> - It's not a car - it's an OBSESSION!

<font color="red"> ROCKET </font> :usa:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rocket:

I had owned the red car (which I truly thought was beautiful, and for which I had already purchased Corsa Track and 3.55, etc) for less than ten days.

I felt that I wanted something a bit more unique even though red is a favorite color (actually my favorite color is transparent but that's another story).

I checked on the only other two cars that attracted me, first the VCA and then the Black Mamba. I felt more of an attraction to the Mamba's red interior although the VCA car is certainly unique. The dealer was just fantastic.

With assistance from a forum member, the transaction went very fast, from idea to completed transaction in ~48 hours (or less). No quibbling, no pondering...just done.

Because of complex schedules (mine chiefly) the swap did not occur for about a week after purchase, and actually I was out of town when the exchange of vehicles was made.

The car swap was done via transporter by the dealer, and I am very, very pleased.

There was a very interesting event that occurred (unrelated to the trade) the evening of the swap, described to me upon my return, and I shall relate it in one of my forthcoming tales.

I did not see the Mamba until it had been sitting in my garage for almost a day.

When I arrived home, it was covered in a Mamba Special Edition cover. Uncovered, it was stunning (see my galary).

However, that said...I would trade this Black Mamba in a skinny minute for the right Viper, right right, and without question will trade again within less than a year.

If asked to speculate, and actually I bored you three paragraphs ago, I would wager that my next trade will occur within a very few months.

Alice

japon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My daughter's first degree was in psychology. Work is available with a B.A./B.S. but it is not lucrative. She returned for a second bachelors in business/technology and is completing a master's (and then a doctorate) in technology (learning systems and best practices). This area is very much in demand. Psychology as an undergraduate degree is academically interesting, but has the marketplace value of "a communications major." Times have changed, and the marketplace has tightened significantly.

Alice

[/QUOTE]

O/T again (could not resist): Is your daughter a hottie too?
joe :usa:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Alice Adams: \"Viper Club, Confederation....or Cult?\"

There was an article written by a ((press) person who attended VOI.4 (Orlando) that called the VOI a Cult gathering...... so it must be true.....

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay:

If it appears in the press, it is always true. If it was on CNN, it is definitely true. If Dan Rather stated it, you can take it to the bank. And if frogs had wings, they would not... (oh, never mind)

Joe:

My daughter is over-the-top. But then again, you always feel that way about your kids.

Alice

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Alice,

My husband is Dr. Adams, not I.

I knew that(signing the post with Alice gave it away)...hence the smiley face. :D

And...of course, cult was offered as humor.

Humor with a slight degree of accuracy. :D (smiley face again)

The Nashville VOI car is "interesting." Initially, I liked it because it has a guitar (of which I am a collector) theme, but it wears on you rather quickly.

Yeah like about 15 minutes.

This year's car was less in-your-face. But thanks for showing me the photos.

You're welcome. This year's car was much less "controversial" (the flames look great). Oh well, it was worth a hundred bucks for the chance of winning. :)

BTW, what happened to HEMOTOX? That was a pretty creative screen name.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dave97GTS:

HEMOTOX is my license plate on my Viper, and that vanity plate came from use of the screen name here.

However, since people know who I am, I sign my name personally, and everyone addresses me personally, it did not seem to make a great deal of sense to use it as a screen name any longer.

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeremy:

The boxes...ah, yes, the boxes...

I can account for that....I truly can....

Follow this: Bought the red Viper, very fast transaction. Bought the Corsa, K&amp;N etc.

24 hours before the red Viper went to the mechanic for the rear end (I can do the exhaust, no brainer), the Mamba deal closed, even faster transaction.

Put the K&amp;N on the Mamba. Mechanic now doing a Paxton and cannot take the Mamba until next week. In the interim, I must decide whether to keep the Mamba (6 miles) or move on another car.

I do feel that the rear end is mandatory, and the exhaust is desirable. The rest of the changes to the car will be cosmetic.

The Mamba is incredibly cool, but it must eventually be traded...that is God's will.

Alice