Alignment time and costs for Gen V $$$$

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any Gen V owner or about to be owner actually asked your Dodge service department what an alignment, when needed, will COST and the factory suggested TIME allowed under warranty to do an alignment or re alignment for you track rats? Post here what you find out !!!:rolaugh:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be no different than previous year Vipers. Certified ViperTechs get training on this 4 wheel alignment, and it requires a specialized tool for aligning the rears properly. Been this way for over 20 years.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be no different than previous year Vipers. Certified ViperTechs get training on this 4 wheel alignment, and it requires a specialized tool for aligning the rears properly. Been this way for over 20 years.
You say should be and just maybe the 20 years are over for this car. Call and see before replying and maybe I am wrong with my info.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a rumor about the dumb price of the alignment. Gotta be an error in that estimate, it isn't any more complicated than other years. The only difference is the rear toe link bar is in a different location.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heard a rumor about the dumb price of the alignment. Gotta be an error in that estimate, it isn't any more complicated than other years. The only difference is the rear toe link bar is in a different location.
Hey someone is getting close and its a neighbor friend of mine. Just may not be a rumor though !!

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question, and I am surprised that no one has asked it yet is..... why do you need an alignment on a new car ? hit a huge pothole ? pulls to one side ? ran over the wife by accident ?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shhhh, its a sooper dooper secret. It can't be revealed publicly or then its no fun at all. Ain't junior high glee club fun to relive ? :rolleyes:

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the rumor on the price?

should be $79.99 for most cars but the Viper will cost more since they already know that you can afford more.... best way to avoid this is to tell them its not your car and you just borrowed it to take it for a short drive.... and your name is Cameron and you are just friends with Ferris.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
in the warranty book you'll see that the alignment & wheel balance is covered for 12k miles and or 12 months. my car was pulling to the left when i bought it and took it in for an alignment and the cost was zero and total time including test drive to check trueness was 3 hours. i recommend every gen V owner take it in for an alignment & wheel before 12k miles or 12 months. find in the warranty book on page 6, section F. after that i'll take it to a specialty shop that used to align my ZR1 and they charge $148 for 4 wheels

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the warranty book you'll see that the alignment & wheel balance is covered for 12k miles and or 12 months. my car was pulling to the left when i bought it and took it in for an alignment and the cost was zero and total time including test drive to check trueness was 3 hours. i recommend every gen V owner take it in for an alignment & wheel before 12k miles or 12 months. find in the warranty book on page 6, section F. after that i'll take it to a specialty shop that used to align my ZR1 and they charge $148 for 4 wheels

Kind of makes you wonder if this is the same mis alignment issue that caused the Viper to be beat by a old ZR1 on the Motor trend test. Like Gilles said... they found out the Viper was misaligned and that is why the car lost against the old ZR1.

Who knows??? possibly the alignment machine at the factory is mis calibrated or the fellow who is aligning the cars on the machine needs retraining ??

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kind of makes you wonder if this is the same mis alignment issue that caused the Viper to be beat by a old ZR1 on the Motor trend test. Like Gilles said... they found out the Viper was misaligned and that is why the car lost against the old ZR1.

Who knows??? possibly the alignment machine at the factory is mis calibrated or the fellow who is aligning the cars on the machine needs retraining ??

i know mine was off pretty bad, the steering wheel sat to the left and when i let go on the freeway the car veered to the left.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know mine was off pretty bad, the steering wheel sat to the left and when i let go on the freeway the car veered to the left.

I am not looking to bash SRT, but how the heck can they allow a car to leave like that from conner assembly ? Like no one ever drove it off the line to the area where they store finished cars ? and no one noticed ? very embarrassing for SRT IMO, I understand issues occur and people are only human and make mistakes but if the wheel is off center did not the dealer or guy who took it off the car carrier notice ? If the wheel is off center they should have picked it up ASAP. if the car pulled to one side then I can see how it would not be so obvious. How many miles before you took it back ?

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I just noticed this thread. I didn't want to say anything on the forum but my car was horribly out of alignment. When I left the dealership I thought I had a flat! I have a very good friend who owns a repair shop so I went over to him. He has a state of the art laser with flux capacitor blah blah blah unit. All four tires were in the red on initial inspection. We took our time and now well it's laser straight..... I don't think I could have went on the highway with the way my car was.. Bare in mind I did not have a pre inspection by the stealership. I actually took the car plastic on seats and all and just left. The service manager printed out what needed to be inspected....

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had to align either of my Vipers and I drive them A LOT! It's good to know it won't cost an arm or leg though. These cars hold together very well when taken care of properly.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car had the "extra inspection" sticker on it from the factory and had 16 miles on it when I got it, those miles were not put on by the dealership. I haven't noticed any alignment issues at all so if something was off they must have fixed it in those 16 miles. But I appreciate the heads up about the warranty on it, I'll definitely have it checked right before it runs out.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question, and I am surprised that no one has asked it yet is..... why do you need an alignment on a new car ? hit a huge pothole ? pulls to one side ? ran over the wife by accident ?
Ahhh look at some of the owners replies so far to answer this question now. And yes, some do hit *** holes or curbs plus my original post also talks about track rats that do a track alignment and then face the cost and time to re align for the road.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I toured CAAP, this is a pic I took of the alignment machine. It was state of the art, it even moved the suspension travel and checked all sorts of things. I'm surprised any car makes it past this machine out of spec.

You must be registered for see images attach

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well just pick up the phone to a respected Dodge dealer as previously mentioned and you can quit yawning. Pretty simple.
What exactly is the point of this thread? The point of the forum is to share information, not "hey call someone to find out X"

What, you sign some NDA with your dealership?

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am not looking to bash SRT, but how the heck can they allow a car to leave like that from conner assembly ? Like no one ever drove it off the line to the area where they store finished cars ? and no one noticed ? very embarrassing for SRT IMO, I understand issues occur and people are only human and make mistakes but if the wheel is off center did not the dealer or guy who took it off the car carrier notice ? If the wheel is off center they should have picked it up ASAP. if the car pulled to one side then I can see how it would not be so obvious. How many miles before you took it back ?

I picked mine up on Saturday the 18th of May and was in for the alignment Wednesday the 22nd of May. I noticed it the first night driving home home from the dealership which was 110 miles away. I called the sales person on Monday and told him what I was experiencing and he told me it was under warranty and I could go to any dealership for the fix. Now I'm definitely going to make sure I go in before the 12k mile mark and have them re align the car and rebalance the tires under warranty.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And if you find your car out of alignment - I'd contact SRT and tell them. Things don't get fixed if you don't report it up the chain.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And if you find your car out of alignment - I'd contact SRT and tell them. Things don't get fixed if you don't report it up the chain.

I agree 100%. SRT did know, in fact most owners will find out sooner or later that any warranty work done on the car will only be done after SRT approves it. They want to make sure all repairs are done correctly.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I'm definitely going to make sure I go in before the 12k mile mark a
Better sooner than later, depending how bad it is. You don't want to have to argue with them over replacing abnormally worn tires if they know that you knew about the issue but drove it anyway. Tire wear can show up faster than expected.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
So one of the cars they used during the magazine testing had it's alignment out of whack and a number of new owners state they had issues ?? C'mon SRT, get it together!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"A number of owners" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? I've got more miles on my car than anyone (4,900 today) and zero alignment issues or abnormal tire wear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala