Almost wrecked my GTS this weekend. Quite a scare...

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since my car was delivered I've spent a few days (weekend) driving it carefully.... enjoying it and getting the feel of it .. not misbehaving at all... I am in love with this thing... Anyways.. I convince the wife to join me for a drive... very few cars were around.

Here's where the fun started...I'm a tall guy (6,2' 280lb), so my feet are having a hard time with the limited space between the 3 pedals. I'm doing about 5-10mph in first and rolling to a red light at a 4 way intersection.. I push (what I thought was) the brake pedal all the way in.. but it was the accelerator.. THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD something fierce !! I think the nose must have lifted an inch.. felt like that...

Wife screamed and grabbed at me !!
I screamed like a little girl !
Car Roared halfway through the intersection and the red light !!
Cars honked!
I stopped in the middle of the intersection.. then shakingly kept going straight.. heart pounding and hand shivering.. ****!!!! Near Coronary !!
Luckily.. no cops around and no damage or accident.. but the scare of our lives...

Took a few pics before the drive when I waxed it.. here.. I'm glad it's safe..

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are one lucky dude! Almost got bit, huh? :)Take it out in an empty parking lot and have some fun getting to know your Viper.Beautiful Viper btw, wish mine was that clean!

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Puma sneaks (like the Speed Cat) are your friend. They look a little... umm, euro, but they really are great to drive in. Rounded heel, great pedal feel, etc. The Viper brake/accelerator pedal spacing is great for the road course, but sometimes takes a little getting used to...

Enjoy the new ride, it's beautiful! And check in with the NorCal VCA subforum for upcoming local events... like the club dinner ON AUGUST 2nd!

Rich

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to hear things didn't get too ugly. I can't drive the Viper with my boots on or any type of regular width footwear or I hit the accelerator as well. I only wear my Converse or Airwalk shoes in the Viper now. There is a great thread on here about footwear options for the Viper.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/634987-Driving-Shoes-(What-you-wearing-)?highlight=shoes+converse

Some nice footwear there..
I was thinking of Flipflops next time and then keeping them under the seat and driving barefoot, but I was advised by other Viper buddies against going "Fred Flintstone" :lmao:...

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got mine I had trouble, I lowered the seat 2 inches and got used to it and I don't have any trouble any more with my size 12's hitting the wrong pedal.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you and Mrs E tar are safe and nobody was hurt.
Thanks for sharing - respect your humility, first class. :2tu:
It's stories like this that make a difference to our community - they certainly help focus my mind.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad you are ok, that could have been ugly.

The next Nor Cal VCA dinner meeting is Tuesday August 2nd.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my GTS I used to clip the brake pedal now and then when pushing in the clutch.
Made for some interesting movements and face plantings.

OP
OP
E

E_tar

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Glad you and Mrs E tar are safe and nobody was hurt.Thanks for sharing - respect your humility, first class. :2tu:It's stories like this that make a difference to our community - they certainly help focus my mind.
Thanks Madmax. This car is unlike anything I've driven before...Once the shock died down I was more embarrassed than anything else. Just drove home directly.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some nice footwear there..
I was thinking of Flipflops next time and then keeping them under the seat and driving barefoot, but I was advised by other Viper buddies against going "Fred Flintstone" :lmao:...

Nothing wrong with barefoot for street driving IMO.

People wear driving shoes with thinner soles to have less material between your foot and the pedal for a more direct connection with more feel. Barefoot is just taking it to the next level!:)

Two weekends ago i did 300 miles in the Viper barefoot cause i was going from BBQ/Pool party to the next one to the next one. I got very used to it by the end of the weekend. The next day when i went for a spin with shoes i felt like i could barely feel the pedals.
Barefoot driving offers the most direct connection from you to the vehicle and with a vehicle like the Viper that has such a direct connection to the road the combination of the two makes for a very pleasant experience that you feel in complete control of.

Another option is driving shoes with no socks. I've accumulated several driving shoes. One of them i bought two pairs; one a half size smaller than the other to wear with no socks.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad everything urned out o.k. for you and the Mrs'. One suggestion would be to get new tires A.S.A.P. Looks like you still have the OEM's on her.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my car was delivered I've spent a few days (weekend) driving it carefully.... enjoying it and getting the feel of it .. not misbehaving at all... I am in love with this thing... Anyways.. I convince the wife to join me for a drive... very few cars were around.

Here's where the fun started...I'm a tall guy (6,2' 280lb), so my feet are having a hard time with the limited space between the 3 pedals. I'm doing about 5-10mph in first and rolling to a red light at a 4 way intersection.. I push (what I thought was) the brake pedal all the way in.. but it was the accelerator.. THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD something fierce !! I think the nose must have lifted an inch.. felt like that...

Wife screamed and grabbed at me !!
I screamed like a little girl !
Car Roared halfway through the intersection and the red light !!
Cars honked!
I stopped in the middle of the intersection.. then shakingly kept going straight.. heart pounding and hand shivering.. ****!!!! Near Coronary !!
Luckily.. no cops around and no damage or accident.. but the scare of our lives...

Took a few pics before the drive when I waxed it.. here.. I'm glad it's safe..

Oh and....love the color btw. :2tu:

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took me awhile to get familier with the pedals. Nicked the brake a few times when going for the clutch and it definitely is an eye opener. Large sole shoes are definitely not the Viper gear of choice. I bought a pair of euro /soccer/wrestling looking Sketchers and they work perfect, not expensive at all.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some Pumas that are perfect for the job. They're narrow, comfortable, and you have a good feel for whatever you're putting your foot on. Glad you're ok.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually wear a driving shoe when driving my Viper. More necessary in my GTS's than the '09 but still the best for me.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving shoes are **** unless on a track. docksiders work great and so do more miles your car. I wear sneakers 99% of the time.

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first week or so driving it I kept hitting 2 pedals at once pretty much every time I drove. Now I keep my right foot more on the right side of the gas pedal and the left foot mostly to the left edge of the clutch and it feels comfortable. I also drive with boots on 50% of the time.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First off, im glad all is ok. Second about the shoes. I wear a slim fit running shoe most of the time, same as when im on my gixxer. But i also have the gas pedel taken off. The rod that is there works great and there is nothing for it to catch on. It might sound sketchy but it works for me. Im 6,1 with a size 12. No issues so far.

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You musta been the guy I saw with what looked like a big baked potatoe in the back of his pants when you got out. Glad you made out okay.