Am I the only one who likes Cognac interior???

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 99 GTS black/silver with Cognac (1 of 26) two months ago. I specifically wanted black with cognac and the silver stripes were an awesome bonus, but I have seen so many posts on this forum about how people don't like the cognac and it hurts resale!
Everywhere I go people comment on how striking the interior is and how much better it looks than the black ones they have always seen (plus black looks like vinyl to me).
So, what gives? I know it was an option (~$500) and isn't the cognac a better leather? It sure feels better/nicer than the black and the color contrast is almost british... Am I crazy?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cognac is nice is many cars... black car it is quite nice. Black w/ stripes it clashes ever-so-slightly. which is why there weren't a lot of them made.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi
I got a 2000 steel grey/cognac rt (1 of 99). I wanted a cognac interior, its so much nicier then a plan old black leather interior.

I got nothing but compliments about how its a great contrast to the exterior steel grey.,, Much rarier and more $$$.(more then 500$ I think it was more like 1500$$)
Better leather as well..

When it comes to metalic colors, steel grey, silver,or black,, cognac interior is much better. Colors like blue and yellow however look better in black.

Cognac>Black

Klayfish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cognac interior in my all black GTS was one of the things that attracted me to it.

Steve

'99 Dodge Viper GTS - FOR SALE
All black w/Cognac interior

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here, black/cognac '99 RT10. I was originally looking for a black/black car and stumbled on the one I bought. Personally, I love it :2tu:

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Cognac in a white car - I love it. The shifter knob is
already wearing thin though and I have doubts the steering
wheel will last long either - the only downsides I see.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I dislike it, I just like black interiors more.

You shouldn't care much what anyone else thinks about your car anyway.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It all depends on the exterior color. I prefer a cognac interior for a black car, and hate the black interior in a black car.

Conversely, a red car looks bad to me with a cognac interior; a buddy had a '94 red RT/10 with cognac interior, and it was one of the ugliest combo's I'd seen. While a black interior on a red car looks good.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the cognac looks like crap. I had it in my car and i tried to let it grow on me but i HATED IT! I never got any compliments on the cognac, i just swapped to black and it looks a hell of alot better IMO, everyone who has seen the black loves it, all my friends thought cognac was ugly!
NOW with black, i get TONS of compliments!

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was worried about the shifter knob wearing out so I changed it to a mgw short shifter knob and I am a car detailing freak when it comes to the viper so I used meguirs leather cleaner and conditioner on the interior including the steering wheel so no worries about it wearing out and getting black plus don't wear any rings etc can scuff up and stratch the leather.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have all black.I would have gone for cognac if the ENTIRE interior was cognac.IMHO the half and half interior the way dodge did it is [******] and borders on fugly. Bruce

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the Cognac definitely gives the car a very nice touch of class. The black honestly in my opinion looks like a corvette interior, just there and nothing special. The cognac looks special. especially on a Black or Grey Viper. Blue, red, yellow, white all look better w/ Black though. But thats why they make in Black and Cognac because everybody feels different!

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Cognac looks great depending on the exterior color. It adds a touch of class to the car. Black with cognac is my favorite.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Everywhere I go people comment on how striking the interior is and how much better it looks than the black ones they have always seen (plus black looks like vinyl to me).
So, what gives? I know it was an option (~$500)
Same here. Mine is a '99 black with cognac. It was one of only 116 black RT/10s with cognac leather made that year. The immaculate black exterior gets their attention first and then they see the cognac leather, which apparently most non-Viper people have never seen. That just wows them.

Now, while I think it looks great in a black car, I've seen it in some lighter color Vipers and I wasn't all that impressed. I didn't even think that much of it in mine when I first saw it in the photos but after I finally saw it in person...wow!

I've been told that the cognac leather was a $750 option (even heard $1,500 from one car guy) when new. The British company who made it is no longer in business. Hang onto it and keep it in good condition and it will reward you with a high resale value someday. I have a pair of baseball/driving gloves I wear when cruising to keep things like the steering wheel and shift knob looking nice.

BTW, I've been told that the stock black IS vinyl - at least on the seats. Of course, this came from the same person who told me that the SVS short throw shifter is the same as the B&M (it isn't) so the jury is still out.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping around for a GTS, at first I had my eye on a sapphire one with cognac interior. I thought it looked pretty sharp. Ended up getting a different one with an all black interior, which I guess is better in that it doesn't show the wear patterns and dirt, as much as cognac does.

One thing about the all black interior- It kinda looks like a big sea of cheap pastic and vinyl. There isn't any highlights to catch your eye, unless you put every MGW do-dad in it, or maybe some carbon fiber trim. Other than that, its mostly devoid of any visual interest. It does look kinda badazz, though, which fits the image of the car.

99RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote "I've been told that the cognac leather was a $750 option (even heard $1,500 from one car guy)"

Actually, the listed price on my '99 RT10's window sticker for the cognac interior is $500.00.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on the exterior color. I prefer a cognac interior for a black car, and hate the black interior in a black car.

Conversely, a red car looks bad to me with a cognac interior; a buddy had a '94 red RT/10 with cognac interior, and it was one of the ugliest combo's I'd seen. While a black interior on a red car looks good.

I have to agree with this. I have black with cognac and I get all kinds of compliment. It looks more upscale.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The British company who made it is no longer in business.

That's half the story - the reason they're out of business is because the
british government came in a culled their entire herd to fight mad cow. Several
generations of work shot to hell in a day.

Dexter

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IMO the cognac looks fantastic in the Graphite Metallic. I get lots of compliments and people always
want to touch /feel it. The coloring is unique compared to other tan leathers. My wife refers to
it as "butterscotch".
There were only 15 Graphite GTS's made with the cognac. I don't know how many of those were monotone.

01RedCognacRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely love the Cognac interiors. It was one of the primary reasons why I chose my first viper, an 02 Graphite GTS(1 of 16). I think it looks especially sharp on graphite and black.

My current 01 Red/RT(1 of 100) also has cognac and I think it does compliment the car quite well. I have nothing against the black interiors but but for most viper owners it seems to be a love/hate thing.

Previous 02 Graphite/Conolly GTS
[image]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=14350EJBHH&i=103167[/image]
[image] http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=14350EJBHH&i=103166 [/image]

Current 01 Red RT/10/Conolly along with better half :D
[image] http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=14350EJBHH&i=103169 [/image]
[image] http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=14350EJBHH&i=103170 [/image]

Regards,

Dave 01 RT/10 :usa:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members