American Club Rattler Owners - Rejoice? Shock Fix?

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I visited Chuck "Viper God" Tator @ Tator's Dodge in South Salem, NY on Saturday and drove home 90+ miles without the dreaded rear shock rattle! Chuck looked at my car for ~ 5 minutes and said: "I know where the problem is and lets try this." I said: "Okay." Chuck performed his MAGIC and the rattle was exorcised. I agreeded not to divulge the possible fix until I have some more miles and data in hand. But this seems to be the best yet. Only 1 bad thing now I can hear the front shocks rattle. Chuck and I will enlighten those interested ASAP.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This shock rattle has and continues to drive me BFN. Although I must admit, I was distracted from the noise on Saturday when some full figured ***** illegally parked her full figured SUV in front of my perfectly gorgeous ACR and damaged the paint on the front bumper and proceeded to characterize herself as a victim. Same story, male driver, whole different ending.

Now it's insurance company BS, inconvenience, etc. Oh did I leave out the part where she lapped her hand like a horse drinking from a slop bucket and rubbed the scuff with it to show me that the damage was insignificant and I was being insensitive to her 89 YO dying ex-mother-in-law. You know the temptation to slap this low life scumbag ***** upside her head was just overwhelming ......... and I'm really holding back here. Kicked me in the nuts twice! Imagine that! First day out this season;.that filthy ****!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This shock rattle has and continues to drive me BFN. Although I must admit, I was distracted from the noise on Saturday when some full figured ***** illegally parked her full figured SUV in front of my perfectly gorgeous ACR and damaged the paint on the front bumper and proceeded to characterize herself as a victim. Same story, male driver, whole different ending.

Now it's insurance company BS, inconvenience, etc. Oh did I leave out the part where she lapped her hand like a horse drinking from a slop bucket and rubbed the scuff with it to show me that the damage was insignificant and I was being insensitive to her 89 YO dying ex-mother-in-law. You know the temptation to slap this low life s**** b**** upside her head was just overwhelming ......... and I'm really holding back here. Kicked me in the **** twice! Imagine that! First day out this season;.that filthy ****!

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

Chuck is one of the best! I have a new Sapphire ACR sittin in my
garage to prove it! (my second Viper from Chuck)He is a great guy and seems to realy want to support the Viper group. I would rate him up there with a Bill Pemberton for sure! I can't recamend him enough- especialy to those in the NE. ( I'm in SoCal and I've bought two Vipers from him!)
Good going Chuck keep up the good work!
Thanks again,

Steve Wallach

Dan Vargus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to stop ACR shock rattle try this. Zip tye the coil springs to the upper shock tower. The zip tye will hold the coil tight against the tower and the rattle will disappear. The fix will cost about 30 cents. I have used this same technique with my Motons and it works.
Good Luck, Dan Vargus/PartsRack

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty believing that by simply Tatorizing the shocks the rattle disappeared. I also feel the tie wrap solution has no merit with regard to the ACR issue. I've had the shocks off and disassembled about five times. While I'm admittedly at a loss to ID what will work, I can state with a fair degree of confidence what will not.

Bob Carrol - Any response from DC?

Sean - The makeup comment; were you referring to Pretty Boy?

I've lived with the shock rattle for 1.5 years now and you know what? I as determined now as ever to eliminate the problem. Just drives me BFN (bug f***** nuts)!

Vipergtsbob

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Joe and fellow Rattlers,
Still no word. About time for the follow up letter effort. While I can accept a reasonable delay due to DC's internal cut back issues, almost 7 weeks at least deserves some response. I'll be working on it and report soon. Keep Rattlin.....
Bob Carroll

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put 100 miles on the car and the only rattles are not from the shocks. I will be away for a week and back putting miles on soon.
Over the washboards of 684, 287 and the GSP everything seemed OK.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK we are Tatorizing John's front ACR shocks today. So far ~ 200 miles with no rear shock rattle. This is an R & D project and not TOP-SECRET, but we want to make sure the Tatorizing works first before the details are made public. John and I will both keep you all informed. If this works a cure package will be available through me at Tator's Dodge. Part # Tatorizing 1 ACR.
No make up included Sean thats extra! Be nice. This fix will have a 90+ mile test later today. John will post this evening if the front shock rattle has been Tatorized.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Kevin,

Hang in there, I believe Chuck has no intentions of "getting rich" from this experiment, he's an absolutely terrific guy, and a very active Viper owner/enthusiast! The "wait time" is to confirm that the fix really works, as I'm sure it would be very embarrasing to document a fix, only to have negative feedback from those that do the necessary work.

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
Chuck is a very hands on guy. If he says he may have a fix I believe him. As soon as he confirms it I am sure he will let everyone know. If you've waited a year or so a couple more weeks won't hurt. Sit tight and let's see what happens.

Steve

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I've given in .... I'm rejoycing, but I'm not sure why. The friggen thing still rattles like a sumbitch.

I am quite surprized that Bob Carrol hasn't received a formal written response from DC. That wouldn't cut the mustard in my profession.

As far as Tatorizing is concerned ????????????

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I will be happy to make the trade. If I could just get in touch with Dave Jenkins to do the replacement job... I am your guy. If anybody can get Dave, tell him to Call me!!!!!

Larry

Vipergtsbob

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Fellow Rattlers,
No response yet. Haven't had time for the follow up letter yet but will get to it this week. I agree with above posts, not too professional on DC's part not to respond to a large group of consumers who shelled out mucho $$$$. But I haven't yet given up hope. (but I am getting real short of patience)
Bob Carroll

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was out of town for the last 2 weeks. I had the ACR out today and STILL rattle free.
Please be patient we have waited this long a little longer won't make a big difference. Chuck is a great guy and ONLY will do the right thing unlike DC.

OP
OP
J

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all ACR's,
I now have over 300 miles of "Tatorized" rattle free miles on my car.
The wait is to make sure the fix lasts with both time and miles.
Also Chuck is trying to make sure the fix is reasonably priced.
I will leave that part up to Chuck, since I know he is already doing his part.
Chuck will be posting a reply to this thread very soon.
ACR Joe you want to be the next test vehicle?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960