Another fng - 97 B/W

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there. I am the proud owner of what can best be described as a barn find. Probably the ugliest 97 b/w on the planet but I just love it. Needs a tranny but everything else seems to work as it should. The story goes it was Archer Racings guiney pig back in the day. The driver loses it at BIR and totalls it. The guy I bought it from puts it back together on a budget and lives happilly ever after for several years. Tranny goes out on it and puts it up for a quick sale. It doesnt sell quickly and the price just keeps dropping.

Heres me. The car finnally reaches what I feel is the guys bottom dollar and I pull the trigger. Mind you I know nothing of these cars and two months ago the thought of buying one never entered my mind. However, the blue and white colors struck me as something special. I take out a home equity loan with a super low rate to buy the car and enough money to put a tranny into it. The guy loads it up on a trailer and delivers it.

If things go as planned, I should be on the road with this rig under 20 grand. Have no intention of repairing the body works any further as the car is too far gone for that to make economic sense. Going to focus on the drivetrain and just make a reliable fast driver out of it. Drive it anywhere, anytime. Despite the rough bodywork, I think it looks killer just the way it is and have not been able to stop thinking about it since it landed in my garage. 335's, Borla exhaust and supposedly a few other bits that I have yet to identify.

Attachments

• IMG_3793.JPG
    IMG_3793.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 189

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would purchase the Viper for under 20 K. Detail her and get some wheels and have some fun. Remember that Blue and White are the fastest...

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that bad of a deal at all. Atleast it's a viper you can enjoy and not have to freakout about. HAVE FUN!!

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is this the same one that was listed on the Alley with all that headwork, the Roe and the nitrous on it? The one the guys over there fondly referred to as the "pawn" Viper?

Man, I don't care what anyone says; if you got a B/W with all that work done to it for under $20k, you got a steal. Salvage or no, the guy had it listed for $35k, right? You need to set up seminars on negotiation if you got it for under $20k!

Congrats! And as a man wiser than me once imparted, "don't floor it unless the wheels are pointed straight." :)

Viprrrrr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase. :2tu:

Join the VCA and you will become a member of the Minnesota Region, which is very active and adds a lot of enjoyment to the ownership experience.

OP
OP
Z

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep its the Pawn Viper. Dude was way off base asking 35 k to begin with even in running condition. I think I got a fair deal but definetly didnt "steal" it by any means. The car was filthy from one end to the other. The drivers door didnt open from the outside (fixed it thanks to the board), had the solenoid jerry rigged with a skrewdriver (also an easy fix), the radio wiring is butchered bad (going to find a whole new chunk of wiring harness and start over), back window shocks are toast.....bunch of little stuff. I think most of would walked away from this project but to me this stuff is a labor of love and I think the purchase was a safe bet. Ive been doing builders for years. Mostly Jeeps and Mustangs. My plan is to get all these things sorted out, drive it for awhile and someday trade up for a nicer one. Call it a "starter Viper" for those with greedy ex wives.

Hey Jason, after seeing your post I went over to the Alley looking for info. Cant find anything related to this car. Would love to know any history. If possible, do you think you can find a link and perhaps pm it to me? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

You got a great deal. Join the VCA on October 1st and as a new owner that will get you the rest of this year and all of the 2009 as a member.(Only works for newbies!) That will save you a few $$ here and get you in the MN club.
The website in case you didn't see it already:

Welcome to the VCA MN website!

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Get that car done before winter hits here. you have not been over yet to get the parts you need :)

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you got a B/W roe GTS for under 20k? wow. that'll be a fun car with no regrets. i'd drive that all over.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep its the Pawn Viper. Dude was way off base asking 35 k to begin with even in running condition. I think I got a fair deal but definetly didnt "steal" it by any means. The car was filthy from one end to the other. The drivers door didnt open from the outside (fixed it thanks to the board), had the solenoid jerry rigged with a skrewdriver (also an easy fix), the radio wiring is butchered bad (going to find a whole new chunk of wiring harness and start over), back window shocks are toast.....bunch of little stuff. I think most of would walked away from this project but to me this stuff is a labor of love and I think the purchase was a safe bet. Ive been doing builders for years. Mostly Jeeps and Mustangs. My plan is to get all these things sorted out, drive it for awhile and someday trade up for a nicer one. Call it a "starter Viper" for those with greedy ex wives.

Hey Jason, after seeing your post I went over to the Alley looking for info. Cant find anything related to this car. Would love to know any history. If possible, do you think you can find a link and perhaps pm it to me? Thanks in advance.

Oh, I didn't mean that I had any additional information; I'd just seen your initial post over there (97 B/w - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum) and recognized the screen name. You hadn't mentioned all the goodies that came with the car so I thought I'd mention the Roe/headwork/nitrous setup that came with your find. As you saw, the gentleman that listed that car for sale had very few posts, so there isn't a whole lot of information available on the boards.

Working doors, working trunk struts, dirt or not...I still think you got a deal! My 1993 that had been an accident with minor frame damage (it's straight now) with 53k miles cost me more, and most argue the GTS is the more desirable Viper...especially a B/W. When I saw that post on the Alley, I thought it was too good to be true at $35k. Had I known homeboy would have let it go for under $20k I'd have had a home equity loan pulled before you could say "Sneaky Pete!" Congrats and welcome again!

OP
OP
Z

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jason. I wouldnt know what a "Roe" was if the back of my pickup was full of them. No nitrous on this car or evidence of ever having it. I think we are talking about two different cars but no matter to me. Headwork is possible. The topside hardware appears to have had a wrench on it at some point in time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog