another Transmission noise thread.

Tori

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,.... 1997 GTS, 30k miles. I've read several posts here about transmission noise but none are exactly my issue. I've been in denial that my noise was the new Toyo's as i've heard they are noisey, but i don't see how they could be THIS noisey. The whine noise is present from about 15 mph on up and doesn't change much on or off the gas, or letting off completely. Same sound when coasting. I've attached a video link so you can hear it.
I'm preparing to pull the trans and investigate but thought i'd get more opinions first. Thanks for your time.
https://youtu.be/baUCouAYzEE

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like R888R whine to me. R888R whine generally doesn't show up until you get to around 100 MPH or so, and it is a very distinct sound...you can hear it at the end of one of my quarter mile passes here:

At normal cruising speeds like in the video you posted, it would be more of a rumble based on my experience with those tires.

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good. If the whine is present on or off the gas, I'd lean away from it being the differential.

It would be ideal if you could borrow a set of wheels/tires (that aren't R888Rs) and see if the sound persists.

Does the sound change at all on different road surfaces?

OP
OP
Tori

Tori

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change on different surfaces. Just spent 1266 miles in the car over the past week, seems to be getting louder. In my fairly mechanical brain, it seems like mainshaft bearing noise.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No change on different surfaces. Just spent 1266 miles in the car over the past week, seems to be getting louder. In my fairly mechanical brain, it seems like mainshaft bearing noise.
I'd say go with your gut.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission noise usually drops considerably in 4th gear since it's 1:1 and the gears aren't loaded.

Yours sound like it could be a wheel bearing.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put mics out back. Wheel bearing, diff could be the issue. Wheel bearing has been at fault in a number of 'driveline noise. Pulling the tr a n ny is a big job when you are guessing. And we always guess wrong.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thought is wheel bearing.
Jack the car up in the back, put your hand on the lower control arm and spin the tire to see if you can feel it.
Do that for both sides.

PS, did you happen to depress the clutch when you hear the noise and / or throw it in neutral?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tori

Tori

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, certainly wont blindly yank the trans. I'll look for evidence in the oil first. And definitely plan to run it in the air so i can stethoscope it and narrow it down. It wont be hard to tell. It's f'n loud.

Would love it to be a wheel bearing thought !

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lower brake pedal is an indicator of a bad wheel bearing also. A slightly wobbling rotor will push the pads away from the disc.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting if you hear it on stands/lift.
Stuff tends to be smooth because there is no load on the components

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21