Answer to the blue devil (ZO6) A lighter, faster viper

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found some more info about this car..Blue devil look out :cool:
You must be registered for see images

Dodge ASC Viper Diamondback
Concept 2006

The American company ASC (American Specialty Cars) showed its creative expertise by unveiling a supercar made even more super by the addition of a mostly carbon-fiber body.

A "snake" with an all-new skin, the ASC Viper Diamondback is super-light and super-fast. It’s fitting that ASC, which helped the Chrysler Group bring the new Dodge Viper SRT10 coupe to life, would, with the aid of McLaren Performance Technologies, show how the Viper coupe might be taken to an all-new level of “extreme.” The 615 bhp Viper Diamondback features a carbon fiber roof, deck lid, rockers, fascia inserts, body trim and a massive OmniCarbon hood that shows off ten unique trumpeted air intakes, with individual port throttles, peeking through - a McLaren Performance Technologies feature reminiscent of McLaren Can-Am engines of the past.

The hood also shows off compression-molded carbon fiber. It’s displayed beautifully, with a broad, clearcoated racing stripe down the Artic White-painted expanse, subtly outlined by “Viper Blue” and “McLaren Red” pinstripes. In all, ASC removed about 85 lbs. of weight from the vehicle - including cutting the weight of the hood by nearly half versus the production model. Taken together with the powertrain modifications by McLaren Performance Technologies, the power-to-weight ratio was increased, resulting in an estimated increase in 0-60 mph time of 3.5 seconds.

Specifications

Engine
Type: V10
Displacement cu in (cc): 505 (8277)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 612(457) / n.a.

Brakes & Tires
Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 175.6 × 75.2 × n.a.

Performance
Acceleration 0-60 mph s: 3.5
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With those stacks I bet that thing runs as well as a retard with a broken leg at anything less than WOT.

It also appears that either the hood vents have not been cut open or that they have put mesh in them.

Finally, while I applaud the weight savings measures, all they could manage was 85 lbs.? I mean SVS makes a CF Gen II hood that weighs 15 lbs. The stocker weighs around 120 lbs. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, because the SVS is a lift-off and you need more beef for hinges, springs and latches, but come on!!! My guess is that whatever this new technique is for molding carbon fiber that ASC was trying to showcase produces a product that is not as light as a traditionally molded carbon fiber part.

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, what happens when you're out driving around and rain comes from out of nowhere? Those intakes will funnel the water right into the engine :curse:

Also, come on DC.....85 lbs??!?! THAT'S IT?!!?! What a crock :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aftermarket products such as lightweight hoods and panels are sold to nitch markets and don't need to meet the requirements for a mass customer base. Somebody that bought a lightweight aftermarket hood is going to handle it with a bit more care than the average stock Viper customer.

OP
OP
D

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"So, what happens when you're out driving around and rain comes from out of nowhere? Those intakes will funnel the water right into the engine. Also, come on DC.....85 lbs??!?! THAT'S IT?!!?! What a crock"

It probably comes with an optional intake cover, that weighs 85 lbs.. :bonker:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

"So, what happens when you're out driving around and rain comes from out of nowhere? Those intakes will funnel the water right into the engine. Also, come on DC.....85 lbs??!?! THAT'S IT?!!?! What a crock"

Funniest line of the day. :D

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally am glad to see any effort. CHUCK 98, How was your trip to the Philippines?

Best ever. He's on broad spectrum antibiotics trying to stop the drip.

Firewater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:

LMAO...so true :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally am glad to see any effort. CHUCK 98, How was your trip to the Philippines?

Best ever. He's on broad spectrum antibiotics trying to stop the drip.

Good as always, thanks for askin'.

And Kenny, antibiotics are no longer effective. They're using me as a case study now.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the Blue Devil? I thought that was all a myth.

I don't see a market for a Z06 that weighs a little less, and has 100 more hp for 30k more anyway.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that work only shaved off 85 lbs? It would still be about 200lbs heavier than a Z06.

The Composite body is already so light that this is not a good soloution to reducing weight.

They have to go to an aluminum frame as well as other measures.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
light flywheel 19 lbs
brake rotors 9 lbs
exst crossover 15 lbs
diff wheels 34 lbs
-------
77 lbs
light bodywork 85 lbs
------
162 lbs total

now somewhere find another 50-100 lbs to remove and give us that 650 hp mark and were all set the viper is on top again

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't see a market for a Z06 that weighs a little less, and has 100 more hp for 30k more anyway.

But you do see a market for the current Viper that weighs a few hundred pounds more than the Z-06, has equal output and costs $25,000 more? When and if the Viper lands on top again people will pay the difference.

The ASC car is an exercise in building and exploiting their capabilities. Why is everyone bashing this car. It's not DC, though some technology(carbon fiber panels) may end up on the current car. 85LBS is a huge amount of weight to pull out of a body, other weight reductions could come from the frame and other components as mentioned. Ounces count, it's the whole picture and again this is an ASC car showcasing their capabilities.

I think current Viper SRT owners have so much potential anger built up from the Vipers current positioning, and DC's apparent lack of response to the competition, that everyone is lashing out at any Viper concept. As a side note, I think the car isn't tastefully done, but I appreciate the tech side of it. Hopefully DC's got something, cause the lion's are hungry.

OP
OP
D

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully DC's got something, cause the lion's are hungry.
-----------------------------------------------------------

meow... ffffft... fffft

I guess if you look long enough, A Viper will start to look like a lion...

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
---------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully DC's got something, cause the lion's are hungry.
-----------------------------------------------------------

meow... ffffft... fffft

I guess if you look long enough, A Viper will start to look like a lion...
You have entirely too much time on your hands.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just for the record, the SRT convertible is as light as a comparable C6 427 convertible if GM made one. If you start with the Z06 add the weight of the steel frame, bigger brakes, and dry sump system you'll find the Corvette about same weight as the Viper.

If DC wants a coupe only Viper they could also optimize towards that goal.

I'd venture the Z06's performance edge comes more from the tires than from the weight advantage. The Viper has wider tires with more weight on the rears. The Vette forums indicate that the Z06 tires wear out in 1000 to 5000 miles, considerably faster than stock Viper rubber. Those soft compound tires are likely key to the Z06's SLIGHTLY better performance numbers.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But you do see a market for the current Viper that weighs a few hundred pounds more than the Z-06, has equal output and costs $25,000 more? When and if the Viper lands on top again people will pay the difference.

The ASC car is an exercise in building and exploiting their capabilities. Why is everyone bashing this car. It's not DC, though some technology(carbon fiber panels) may end up on the current car. 85LBS is a huge amount of weight to pull out of a body, other weight reductions could come from the frame and other components as mentioned. Ounces count, it's the whole picture and again this is an ASC car showcasing their capabilities.

I think current Viper SRT owners have so much potential anger built up from the Vipers current positioning, and DC's apparent lack of response to the competition, that everyone is lashing out at any Viper concept. As a side note, I think the car isn't tastefully done, but I appreciate the tech side of it. Hopefully DC's got something, cause the lion's are hungry.

They are clearly showcasing the carbon fiber panels in the design. But I agree that the black on white looks patchy at best.

I hope that this is a real preview of ASC carbon fiber panels on an upcoming ACR Viper.
I don't care if the lightweight panels are "only" shaving off 85 lbs. As mentioned above this could be combined with other lightweight components to save 150lbs. Everyone is so hot and bothered about the Z06 that they have forgotten that the Viper coupe is only 150lbs heavier than the carbon fiber-bodied Enzo and Porsche Carrera GT supercars!
And roughly the same weight as the Ford GT.

Shave off a little weight, and boost the Viper's power to 625-675HP and you will have a car with true supercar capability. :cool:

But it's a moot point unless DC is serious about staying competitive with the best performance cars from Europe, and moves the Viper back up towards the top of the automotive food chain again. :2tu:

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for the record, the SRT convertible is as light as a comparable C6 427 convertible if GM made one. If you start with the Z06 add the weight of the steel frame, bigger brakes, and dry sump system you'll find the Corvette about same weight as the Viper.

If DC wants a coupe only Viper they could also optimize towards that goal.

I'd venture the Z06's performance edge comes more from the tires than from the weight advantage. The Viper has wider tires with more weight on the rears. The Vette forums indicate that the Z06 tires wear out in 1000 to 5000 miles, considerably faster than stock Viper rubber. Those soft compound tires are likely key to the Z06's SLIGHTLY better performance numbers.

Whoa, that's completely wrong. The Z06 tires aren't soft AT ALL. I do not know about handling in turns, but the Viper has much better traction when taking off from a dig. My almost brand new tires had far worse traction (with TC on) than a Viper with nearly bald tires when taking off from a standstill. I do not know which performs better in a track situation, though. Also, I have close to 3500 miles on my tires, and they aren't even close to worn down. I probably have more than 75% of the tread left.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave