Any cool Garages out there?

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Photo

Looks like that "Justification For a Higher Education" poster I had on my wall in college ('cept better cars)!
LOL, I have that same poster. Is it large, with a big house on like a cliff over looking the ocean and it says "Justification for Higher Education" above the house. And the garage is like in front of the house with an old Ferrari, Porsche 928, Mercedes 420 SEL, 80'S Corvette and an old (guessing 80's) BMW 325i convertable? It's a bad asp picture with the sun setting and everything. I've had it scince I was little, 21 now. If it were newer, it'd definitley would have a Viper in it.

I also have a funny one of an older, gorgeous Porsche 911 Cabriolet with like a 7-10 year old boy looking like he's the man leaned up against it (practicing for pimping maybe?), and it says "I've worked hard all my life for this"

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wayne - You can't tell by that photo but each side of the garage is a 4 car standard size car tandum and room for another in the back Viper Pit. We can fit 10 or 11 Viper size cars inside.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.....like I said, you need more space :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great great setup. Love the house too from previos pics I saw. Let's see a couple good picks of the entire "Viper Estate"

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It says this "Ultimate Garages" book includes Bob Lutz's garage :) It also has a few of the garages featured in the "Extreme Garages" HGTV special I was talking about.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys have motivated me to post updated pictures of my garage. The photographer who takes the pictures of our annual Viper Club Christmas Party has agreed to take some shots of my garage as it is today (some new cars and goodies). I will be posting them the beginning of Dec. BTW, for anyone who is starting construction from scratch, don't forget about hot and cold water bibs at strategic places around the garage. Also, remember to place power outlets at different levels on the walls for signs that you may put up at a future date. If you're going to use a computerized lighting scheme, those outlets need to be "home-runned" to one place that is near the central power point.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way they designed the seat doesn't make sense. To see the lights and the fact that they are lit, you have to have the seat in the middle of the room. You cannot use this seat against a wall. Also, the seats themselves should either look more like the Viper bucket seat or a lot less like them. It's kind of neither fish nor fowl. My past experience with Corbin (when I bought the 51 Merc seat) was difficult at best. They tend to not pay attention and not return calls if you have an issue. Ultimately, I had to get a lawyer involved to get them to live up to the deal they had made after sending me the wrong seat.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ... you need a bigger garage with a Audio Video section set up in the center with a Viper Couch with a built in stereo in the side pocket, a big screen TV and a foot stool made out of the nose of a Viper. By the way, the couch can be purchased from a local California member for $2,995. I believe he can be trusted.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, Russ great garages. Some of the best I have seen. Just curious as to the physical layout of them. It appears there are some nooks and crannies in each. I have a 48 x 24 garage and was curious as to what kind of space you guys were working with.

John

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,
There is no doubt that my garage is an unusual shape. It started as a 2 car garage, with doors facing the north. When I decided to build a garage / bedroom addition to the house, I sealed up the garage doors and put windows there. I then broke through the side of the house, on the east side, and put the addition there. The result is three garage doors, all facing east. The northern most door is only one car deep (it is half of the original garage). The center door is 3 cars deep as it is the 2 cars deep of the new garage plus one car deep of the other side of the original garage. The left (or southern) garage door is two cars deep as it is strictly the new garage. I know this sounds a bit complicated, but it was the only way I could build to make the house look normal. The downside of this is that several cars need to be moved to take a few of the stored cars out. I can hear the Viper Community crying for me now, so I'll shut up. I have a hunch that Jerry is going to raise the bar a bunch so I'll rushing to get those new pictures of the garage posted. There's just one vehicle I'm waiting for delivery of, before I take the pictures :>)

OP
OP
S

superdavz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Viper Couch it looks sweet. But I cant set it up against the wall because you wont be able to see the back of the couch. Does anyone have one of these
couches? Are they comfortable? I think I will look into get one of them. I will let you guy no.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the Best of the Best Viper Garage Wars begin!

John - My garage is two oversize 4 car tandem garages with an oversize Viper pit in the back of one of the garages. The total area would house around 11 or 12 Vipers if there were nothing else in the garage areas. The Viper Pit in the backs was originally designed to accommodate a large boat. The boat went away and it became a Viper memorabilia display area. I have more stuff than area to display it now.

I may have to take over more house space and convert it to garage space. I'm sure my wife will go for that!

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry,
The area in which I can exploit your weakness is that I don't have a wife to tell me that I can't turn the living room into an additional Viper garage area.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ - That's hitting way below the belt. You must play fair if you want to play. Maybe we can apply a handicap for those in your position. ;)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. To me your layout makes them even more spectacular. Can't wait to see the updated pics.

ps - I guess I am in between both of you. I am engaged so I still have a little freedom left, so I better hurry up and make some changes while I can. :D

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JDawg... if you're engaged... you're freedom may already be a thing of the past. ;)

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I am curious what it is costing you on average per square foot to build a detached garage. Nothing fancy, just 4 walls, a floor, ceiling, some basic lighting, a garage door or two, some tile roofing and all the other basics. Here in San Diego, it is absolutely ridiculous what they want for garages. For a basic garage, I got one contracter (the first and only one so far) to bid on a 6 car garage for me (was roughly 36X40) and the cost was just over $130,000! This was just your basic garage with two doors and a couple windows, 4 walls, a ceiling and a floor. I have a couple more contractors coming out to bid over the next week or so.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
superbar, you hit the nail on the head. It all depends on where you reside and the building market. Looks like the guy is wanting roughly $90/foot. I can get the same space heated/cooled for less than half in my area, but that is using subs. Using a contractor obviously he has to charge a fee to coordinate everything., but then again you have that Kalifornia weather and I don't. :D

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much did you expect to pay? Do you have the property and just want to build the garage? Is it to be attached to a house?

I build homes in central California and we are a non union city. I'm not sure about San Diego. I have two kids going to school there though and visit now and then. I think their number is a bit high even for San Diego. I can look into finding another local builder if you wish. For $130,000 I may come down and build it myself!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built a 36 X 44 garage with 11' ceilings 3 overhead doors, drywalled, epxoy painted floors, painted walls & ceiling, heated and air conditioned, small second room with another overhead door(for lawn equipment), 4 windows two people doors, 8-8' flourscent ceiling fixtures and two ceiling fans, exterior finishing for about $60K(price includes modifying the septic field). This is the back yard in far northeastern Illinois. Since have installed 1 soon to be 2 Cytech lifts. That will enable parking 6 cars inside. When I was planning this I only had three cars, all my friends said why do you need such a big garage? " IF I BUILD IT THEY WILL COME", THEIR HERE!!! 69 Buick Skylark GS convertible, 73 Mustang 351 Cleveland, 74 Trans Am SD455 (4speed) was in the orginal Cannonball race back in 1975, 2003 Silver SRT10. I saved the best for last. This car is unbeleivable.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple pics of a friends garage that houses approx 20+ cars including the 14 or so Prowlers he owns and a couple Vipers

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any of you guys ACID STAIN your concrete garage floors? I am thinking of doing that vs coating it with anything or using any tiles. Price works out to be similar even after sealing it.

If you have photos of this, let me know? Ones I have seen make the garage floor look like it's made out of marble.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to move east..... In Arkansas, it costs about $70/sq. ft for a new HOUSE, for $130,000 you could build an 1800 square footer (or for less, you could buy a used 2400 sq. ft. house with a three car attached garage)! A wood framed garage is only about $25/sq. ft. tops (fiberglass roofing though)! That includes the slab, framing, garage doors, etc.

If you wanted to do the work yourself, the materials would be only about $15/sq. ft. A fellow I work with put up a two car 20' x 30' garage for about $10,000 doing just that. Only help he needed was to put up the trusses, he had a Saturday "Truss Raising" party to get that done..... cost him a keg of beer and some hot dogs and hamburgers :) He subbed out the concrete slab and the roofing. In town, you can act as your own general contractor. Outside of town, you don't even need building permits if you use your own dollars to build.

If a person went with a Steel Shop, the prices are even lower because labor is lower, one can be put up complete, in only a few days. A contractor I know offered me materials for a 24 x 72 steel building (without insulation or doors) that a customer backed out of for less than $3000. Living in the middle of no-where does have a few advantages.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to acid stain some of the concrete in my back yard, They have some great techniques now.

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that acid staining is insane. I have been quoted frm about $2.50 to $3.50 per sq. foot to acid stain and seal the concrete. What prices are you seeing in Central Cali?

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's around $4 sq. ft. We must be in a high rent district.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4