Any Hellcat owners?

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure some owners have both, or had both, and just curious if any found that driving the Hellcat was just more fun.

I have always owned something fast, relative for it's time, and or something that was good handling. My 2013 GTS Viper pretty much ticks every box in those areas but there are some drawbacks.

1. Replacement parts are hard to find. Window switch took me 6 months.

2. In the event of an accident finding quality repair parts are hard and expensive.

3. Dealer network is garbage. I am lucky that I have a good Viper Tech in my area but he is often swamped.

4. I can't take my family with me in the Viper.

So.....when I had the opportunity to order a 23 Hellcat with a manual, I jumped on it. I know it won't really be any faster on the street, surely won't handle as well, and is everything the Viper isn't from all other performance metrics, but I'm curious if I'll enjoy it more because of what else it offers. I'll be able to take it bowling, longer work trips, and especially able to take my daughter places with me.

In no way shape or form do I need to sell the Viper but after 3.5 years of ownership I have put barely 4k miles on it. Just trying to see if it's worth it to keep 3 performance fun cars in the garage when I have maybe a total of 6k miles on both in the last 5 years.

SSGSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is so much more fun to drive. The hellcat is such a big car and I do have the 6 speed as well. Both are fun but I would keep the Viper over the Hellcat anyway. Just me

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a manual Hellcat? Any issues with it or has it been pretty reliable? If I keep it I m planning to DD it.

littlecaars

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I too am a happy owner of a Viper and a redeye. I am on my fourth Viber so obviously I’ve been very happy with the car. I have had all generations except for GEN five. Two years ago I bought a hellcat redeye. Just two days ago I made the hard decision to sell the Viper. I am up in years and getting in and out of that car presents its own special challenges. So it’s with regret that it is going into Autotrader in the next few days.There is no question that the Viper is more fun and the Challenger is a super performer in a straight line. It’s also a car that you definitely want to be ahead of it. If you fall under the handling curve it will bite you hard.
I have been thinking of keeping the viper and just appreciate it in the garage as it certainly isn’t going to lose any value. I even bought the hellcat in the same color as the snake. How cool is that.
there will be tears shed.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not sure if I would be ok with kicking Halle Berry out of bed and rolling Lizzo in right after. Both have their merits but does one outweigh the other? I mean that figuratively. Haha

Rayz1950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure some owners have both, or had both, and just curious if any found that driving the Hellcat was just more fun.

I have always owned something fast, relative for it's time, and or something that was good handling. My 2013 GTS Viper pretty much ticks every box in those areas but there are some drawbacks.

1. Replacement parts are hard to find. Window switch took me 6 months.

2. In the event of an accident finding quality repair parts are hard and expensive.

3. Dealer network is garbage. I am lucky that I have a good Viper Tech in my area but he is often swamped.

4. I can't take my family with me in the Viper.

So.....when I had the opportunity to order a 23 Hellcat with a manual, I jumped on it. I know it won't really be any faster on the street, surely won't handle as well, and is everything the Viper isn't from all other performance metrics, but I'm curious if I'll enjoy it more because of what else it offers. I'll be able to take it bowling, longer work trips, and especially able to take my daughter places with me.

In no way shape or form do I need to sell the Viper but after 3.5 years of ownership I have put barely 4k miles on it. Just trying to see if it's worth it to keep 3 performance fun cars in the garage when I have maybe a total of 6k miles on both in the last 5 years.

Rayz1950

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have both viper best on track and wide body challenge best on street

ClovisViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sold my Charger Hellcat for a Gen IV Viper. Both awesome cars. They are very similar yet so different. Hellcat felt like it had more torque at a lower RPM, but the Viper pulls harder and longer, especially in the upper RPM’s. Viper feels much much more exclusive. Everyone thought my Hellcat was a 392 ScatPack.

Attachments

• IMG_8150.jpeg
    IMG_8150.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8737.jpeg
    IMG_8737.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 11

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
IMO, the only way to go is a Viper & Trackhawk. They compliment each other, and have very little overlap aside from both being stupid fast in their own right.

I would never, ever line a Viper up against a hawk unless its a well prepped and sorted not-stock car on a perfect road. The highway would of course be another story, but for light-to-light and 0-100, a Trackhawk is going to eat damn near any Viper and without requiring much skill to do so. The tech in the Hawk is outstanding, and the platform is well sorted.

I hate to say it, and Vipers have been my life for decades... but I cant imagine my garage being devoid of either at this point.

gregrowell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really comes down to personal decision (i.e. your work commute, family needs, etc.) Until about a year ago, I had both. I actually had an '11 Grand Caravan R/T too. (Mopar Garage for sure.) It was a '15 Bright White Charger Hellcat. (Loved the car, family man with 2 girls, 14 and 18 years old now.). Drove the Hellcat as a daily for 6 years, put about 50K miles on it.) As 1 daughter entered a private school and 1 college at the same time.....well.....like Clint said "A Man's got to know his limitations." LOL.

I am the only living person to trade in a hellcat on a Honda Accord:) Honestly after owning 3 Chargers, ('08 SRT8, '13 Daytona and a '15 Hellcat)--- they are all great, all-around family musclecars. That said, after years of driving the hellcat, it was awesome, but really was 'an amped up/steroid" Charger that was pretty thirsty and expensive to operate. My '03 Viper, I've owned for 12 years now (2nd owner) and it is the ONLY car I've owned, that just never gets old/dated (and fun) to drive. I love it as much as the day I brought it home. Just something unique about them, the older they get, the more classic they are. The end of these types of ICE cars. I have 47K miles on it and drive it every weekend. At the time, I traded in my hellcat on the Accord, Honda gave me top-dollar for it, insurance now about 1/2 as much, gas (twice the mileage), Maintenance much cheaper, etc. It was just time for me to get a more 'practical' daily driver. (If some of you are hedge-fund managers, 2 doctors in the house, well, then by all means--Keep them both:) More power to you baby!)

......I will just have to continue to suffer on weekends, driving my US Made, hand-built, low volume production 20 year old SRT10, passing the tesla's and priuses 'in style':) Man, 10 years ago, not a lot of attention, now, it's get TOO MUCH attention, when I take it out.

Attachments

• '15 Hellcat.jpg
    '15 Hellcat.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Accord Front.jpg
    Accord Front.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I go SUV with Hellcat power it will be the Durango for the added space. Love the Trackhawk though.

Thr Chargers are fine but I'm looking at it from the fun standpoint and how the Challenger has a manual. I know manuals are slower, don't care. If I absolutely needed to have a vehicle where the girl would drive it then I'd get a Charger or auto Challenger. But she wouldn't drive the car anyway so no need to go that route.

Getting one is not predicated on selling the other. I just rarely drive it now so I'm hoping I don't drive it even less.

SRT BILL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper-Trackhawk combo is a hard one to beat. I have the 2018 Hawk that was purchased new and 2013 GTS also purchased new. Several times I've had people approach me to purchase the Trackhawk and of course I declined. As Dan pointed out both are great and have their own way of using the power.

jun76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper will always have that wow factor where ever you take it.not only is it fun to drive but a real deal head turner.hellcats are nice with amazing hp but it seems like everyone and their grandma has one.plus you vill never see a viper with a 6 cyl pull up next to you.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't really care for the wow factor for others. lol I buy what I like, don't care about others. As long as a car makes me do a double take, turn around and look at it, as I walk away, it's a good buy.

Last edited:

jun76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok.so if you don't care about others why get on a forum and ask others if they think a hellcat is more fun? But hey instead of asking others what they think just enjoy what you want.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care about wow factors from anyone but I do value input from those who drive or have driven both a Viper (G5, specifically) and a manual Hellcat Challenger.

I asked about fun factor in my initial post.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have the car by the end of this week. As of now not a lot of manual Hellcats built for 2023 and less wide bodies than regular body cars.

ClovisViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No clue. I've only driven it about a half mile. Leaving for about ten days for vacation so driving it will have to wait. Also will need to put the 500 miles on it before I do too much spirited driving.
Looks sweet!! Love both cars. It may be the angle, but the Challenger looks huge compared to the Viper.

Jdirte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a charger with a petty garage 825 tune. It's fun to drive as a daily. I race my ACRX and get my 1:33 car out rarely. The charger is just as easy to get tickets in as the viper.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on the car. It's been a total turkey. More misaligned panels than if Ray Charles bolted this thing together. Paint issues on multiple panels. Not only that it's been to the dealership twice for the same code, P0304 misfire. On top of that, the last time the dealer had it 18 days, never drove it, and wouldn't have fixed it the last day had I not gone there and told them I was leaving with the car that night.

As I drove away P057B popped up. They told me I'd have to bring it back a different day. Ok, no problem. I get almost home and P0304 popped up again along with a new code P219B.

I contacted SRT yesterday about the entire experience with the car, the check engine light at 50 miles, within 14 miles of getting it back the first time, and how the same code (and more) came on ten miles after picking it up the 2nd time.

I just want them to buy it back. If anyone has any person they know who I can speak with at SRT I'd appreciate it. This car is a nightmare. I can't drive it anywhere and it's hindering me being able to sell another vehicle so I can DD this one.

ClovisViper08

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on the car. It's been a total turkey. More misaligned panels than if Ray Charles bolted this thing together. Paint issues on multiple panels. Not only that it's been to the dealership twice for the same code, P0304 misfire. On top of that, the last time the dealer had it 18 days, never drove it, and wouldn't have fixed it the last day had I not gone there and told them I was leaving with the car that night.

As I drove away P057B popped up. They told me I'd have to bring it back a different day. Ok, no problem. I get almost home and P0304 popped up again along with a new code P219B.

I contacted SRT yesterday about the entire experience with the car, the check engine light at 50 miles, within 14 miles of getting it back the first time, and how the same code (and more) came on ten miles after picking it up the 2nd time.

I just want them to buy it back. If anyone has any person they know who I can speak with at SRT I'd appreciate it. This car is a nightmare. I can't drive it anywhere and it's hindering me being able to sell another vehicle so I can DD this one.
You may want to contact a lemon Law Attorney depending on your State. Sorry to hear about your experiences. Very unfortunate.

OP
OP
2013GeeTeeS

2013GeeTeeS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the car back and put some miles on it and all good so far.

Not sure how it happened but the 2nd dealer was able to diagnose the issue. The #4 injector was plugged into the #6 injector wire and also in reverse. Not sure if it was like that when new or if the PCM was really bad. But I don't doubt the PCM was the fix and the tech at the first dealer fudged up.

I do get now why people really enjoy these cars. It's comfortable, fast, handles better than it should, and is just a hoot to drive. I haven't driven my Viper in 3 months. lol It just sits on the lift. I start it and pull it out every few months but that's about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala