Any new info on the 2012 Gen V snake?

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am confused if there is going to be a 2012 Viper. Last I read, Dodge said they will make a 2012 Viper. I know that no specific info has been released; however, I hear some VCA members still say the 2010 is the last of the Viper:(.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is clear from the data that has been publicly released that there will be no 2012 Viper. If I had to guess, I would say that there will be a 2013 Viper. If the past is any teacher, if there is one, it will be available sometime after the summer of 2012. It will have the required nanny tech but I assume, law permitting, we will be able to turn it off when necessary to optimize performance.

So, for those who do not believe that they are immortal, I would suggest that if you are thinking of buying a Viper now, do it. Two plus years is a long time to wait for an on call dose of the Viper experience.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
We beat Ferarri on the Nurburgring, only to lose our autonomy in the boardroom. With Fiat in charge, I'm not sure I can be a fan of the Viper anymore. It represented the strength, spirit, and innovation of this once sovereign nation. The "prancing snake" is not for me. Maybe there's no national identities anymore, just "world cars", and I shouldn't be so proud to be an American anymore? Up to now, I prefer cars that are designed and built here, with the profits returning to our homeland, not to a foreign concern. A nation that does not make wealth can't stay strong forever. The trade imbalance pressures our middle class, closes down entire once-thriving manufacturing towns. We are waning as a superpower, eventually to be reduced in wealth and prominence to 2nd world status as a has-been. When you buy a foreign or foreign-owned product, even if its made here, wealth leaves this country. What will be the end result? A greatly reduced middle class, reduced in wealth, reduced in freedom. The only jobs we are creating now are lower-paying jobs, service sector jobs. The American experience, once the light of the world, is dwindling. Those in charge have been selling us out with Nafta, Gatt, and the attempted Cafta. I gotta quit for now. Take care of your family!

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fully expect a gen V to be produced and it will no doubt be a gen IV ******. The big question is WHEN.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it is continued, but realistically, the government has already stepped in, the CAFE standards are so tight, anyone's fleet needs to sell a lot of cars making 45 MPG to make up for the small amount of 16 MPG cars...no one here discusses why do Viper owners pay a gas guzzler tax !!?? Obama will continue to eliminate anything by taxing it to death !! Isn't Dodge's claim to fame lately been SRT type vehicles ?? The insurance industry will also blow in the ears of Congress that these type cars are costly to have on the roads...just my $.02

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Vic,

Not sure about your data, but the Boardroom at Dodge has a very passionate Sergio Marchione and Ralph Gilles in all the meetings. No longer a rumor, the individual who wanted the Viper to stay and not end up on the seller's block , was none other than Sergio. One would have little argument that the most vocal proponent of the Viper is Ralph Gilles, so in many of our minds the future Viper could not have any better individuals to steer it's path.

As noted by Bob the difficulties are that the new car will have to be loaded with alot of nanny devices that the government mandated years ago ( a new model was never a surprise, but something that had to be built and this has been know for years ).

Like Bob, I believe it will be 2013 before we see a new beast and according to Ralph it will retain the American Macho image and design. If that means we will have a traction control system from Ferrari , I for one definitely prefer that over the ones done by Mercedes ( who doesn't hate the system in the SRT8s ).

Keep the faith baby ----heck remember the Gen IIs used mirrors from a Mitsubishi 3000 GT.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic,

Not sure about your data, but the Boardroom at Dodge has a very passionate Sergio Marchione and Ralph Gilles in all the meetings. No longer a rumor, the individual who wanted the Viper to stay and not end up on the seller's block , was none other than Sergio. One would have little argument that the most vocal proponent of the Viper is Ralph Gilles, so in many of our minds the future Viper could not have any better individuals to steer it's path.

As noted by Bob the difficulties are that the new car will have to be loaded with alot of nanny devices that the government mandated years ago ( a new model was never a surprise, but something that had to be built and this has been know for years ).

Like Bob, I believe it will be 2013 before we see a new beast and according to Ralph it will retain the American Macho image and design. If that means we will have a traction control system from Ferrari , I for one definitely prefer that over the ones done by Mercedes ( who doesn't hate the system in the SRT8s ).

Keep the faith baby ----heck remember the Gen IIs used mirrors from a Mitsubishi 3000 GT.

Hey Bill thanks for clarifying and setting the record straight for those who are not aware of what 'car guys' both Sergio and Ralph are. Sergio, reminds me of a refined Wolfgang and Ralph not only talks the talk but walks it as well as the ACR-X and Laguna Seca videos clearly demonstrate.

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Prowler didn't come out until 1997, so doubtful their mirrors could have been used on early gen Vipers without a wayback machine. The concept Prowler wasn't even shown until 1993! May have been the other way around though (Prowler using Viper parts).

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ralph Rocks!:headbang:

I met him at the Long Beach GP snake pit breakfast... Awesome guy. Too bad I didn't get a pic snapped with him.

Kuno Wittmer drove the wheels off the Viper that day smashing the competition. What an incredible day in Long Beach.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to be more optimistic but if I was a betting man, I would say Viper is going the way of Prowler etc--extinction. Soon there will be no plant. I realize other locations could be possible but I don't see how you bring a new Gen to market in 2 years or so.

Also there are tons of 09s languishing on lots, ebay and autotrader. Can't help. I have a 2010 Final Ed ordered and you'd think they would be all spoken for by customers--nope. Even though there are only 32 for the US I know dealers that still have multiple allocations unsold (except the ACR version)
On a personal level I have had my 09 priced ridicuously low for months --not one sniff.

For viper to continue they need to sell these cars--it ain't happening--same with ZR1 Vettes--not just a Viper problem

I hope it changes and I hope I am wrong.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic

"I prefer cars that are designed and built here, with the profits returning to our homeland, not to a foreign concern."

Do you mean cars like the Camaro or the Challenger, both built in Canada? Or the Mustang, built here but with major sub-components coming out of Mexico?

I do hear what your saying and I feel ya. The Viper contains 80% U.S. sourced materials.

There is always the Vette.....Naaaaaw!

In the end what are you gonna do?:dunno:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to be more optimistic but if I was a betting man, I would say Viper is going the way of Prowler etc--extinction. Soon there will be no plant. I realize other locations could be possible but I don't see how you bring a new Gen to market in 2 years or so.

Also there are tons of 09s languishing on lots, ebay and autotrader. Can't help. I have a 2010 Final Ed ordered and you'd think they would be all spoken for by customers--nope. Even though there are only 32 for the US I know dealers that still have multiple allocations unsold (except the ACR version)
On a personal level I have had my 09 priced ridicuously low for months --not one sniff.

For viper to continue they need to sell these cars--it ain't happening--same with ZR1 Vettes--not just a Viper problem

I hope it changes and I hope I am wrong.

I will take the bet. I read the tea leaves as suggesting that a 2013 Gen V Viper will arrive. Keep in mind that by then, with the Democrats losing seats in the Fall election and the election of a Republican President who restores our pride in America, that there will probably be a significant improvement in the economy. Because of this, I believe that there will be the release of pent up demand for certain goods, including performance vehicles, on or before the late summer of 2012.

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the front is a little busy . The side shot looks good . I don't like the rims and we can't have Vette quad rear exhaust .

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will take the bet. I read the tea leaves as suggesting that a 2013 Gen V Viper will arrive. Keep in mind that by then, with the Democrats losing seats in the Fall election and the election of a Republican President who restores our pride in America, that there will probably be a significant improvement in the economy. Because of this, I believe that there will be the release of pent up demand for certain goods, including performance vehicles, on or before the late summer of 2012.

I'd take the bet as well. Initial talk had the Viper returning as a 2012, but I believe that was too optimistic. I suspect that Bob's right and it will be available in late 2012 as a 2013 model. If correct, this means that alot of engineering work on the Gen V should already have been done and they should probably be looking at tooling and what-not. This means that we may start seeing leaks from unscrupulous employees at various vendors in the next 6 months or so.

As for styling, I would guess that the Gen V will trend away from the hard edges of the Gen III/IV and towards the more human forms of the Gen I/II.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hope you are right--more about the country than even our beloved snake. The Viper is just a car--the country is our kids' future and right now it is looking grim

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car looks great. It is better than what I have seen out of Dodge for the GEN V. (Cue the crickets!)

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car looks amazing... and I bet would look even more amazing in person. I would most certainly buy that and hope to see more of it! :2tu:

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking at the video a bunch more times...

My initial "busy" reaction had mostly to do with the wheels... They do look fang like, can't imagine cleaning the brake dust off them. LOL :crazy2:

Concept cars are supposed to make you stop in your tracks, this one does that easily. I'd love to see this car made in carbon fiber with painted stripes... :dropdev:
Not the 2010 stripes though... LOL

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is bigger and wider, just like I would want it to be. It also seems to be going back to sexier curves vs hard lines.

My only thought/fear is that Dodge may follow the same trend as Chevy with the Corvette. I loved the long body and big butt on the C5. I think the C6 looks nice and aggresive; however, I did NOT like how the C6 shrunk. I hope the 2012 Viper will not try and shrink their body in attempts for effeciency or weight savings.

Oh, one last note. I wonder if the new Viper would incorporate some LED day running lights like the new Audis (+ R8), and newer luxury cars?

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys. Whatever the Gen V is, it is. By now the design, subject to some tweaking, would have to have been substantially completed if it is to be produced as a 2013 model. Perhaps they will do what they did with the Gen III coupe and we will see a working model of the proposed car first some time before 2012. The design and the drivetrain need to produce that "Dirty Harry" feeling: Street smart, intimidating, supremely confident bordering on cocky, persistent, tenacious, durable and reliable with simple but effective and overwhelming power to use against one's adversaries when challenged.

Last edited:

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I like it. I'm trying to picture in a vert. Volado - is that some italian design company? I see they are going to put the exhaust in the back which is a good idea from a driver comfort/sales point of view. The side exhaust is iconic but hard to live with.