Any news on the Coupe?

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been away for a while studying, yesterday I received news that I passed the Chartered Accountant (CA) uniform final examination. I want to reward myself. Thanks for the update in advance.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on passing! :laugh:
I'm not sure that we will get any more news until the Jan 15th NAIAS auto show, where hopefully they will be publically unveiling the SRT-Coupe.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waiting anxously myself. hope they change the design but keep the color combo. i Really would like it to look like the comp coupe and not like the older coupe with an srt look :confused:
Max

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New issue of Motor Trend says that Cheby will debut the new ZO6 in Jan (at NAIAS, I'm assuming) with 500hp. I'm bettin' that Dodge will trump it with the coupe! I'm curious how much oomph the car will show up with. 550? 600?

Another interesting note was that MT claims that the new Mustang Cobra (due in a year, or so) will get Ford's 500hp 5.4 liter supercharged V8 (same one that is in the Ford GT, I think).

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New issue of Motor Trend says that Cheby will debut the new ZO6 in Jan (at NAIAS, I'm assuming) with 500hp. I'm bettin' that Dodge will trump it with the coupe! I'm curious how much oomph the car will show up with. 550? 600?

Another interesting note was that MT claims that the new Mustang Cobra (due in a year, or so) will get Ford's 500hp 5.4 liter supercharged V8 (same one that is in the Ford GT, I think).

It'd be great to see both a 600hp Viper GTS3 (with a sleeker rear than the prototype) and a production ready ME-4/12 at the show.. people would be saying "GM who?"

as for a Mustang with the GT motor - wow - that'd be a Vette sale stealer because the new retro Mustang seems to be a great car for the money and a popular look.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest I heard was that DC was going to show the coupe at the LA show and not the Detroit show -- seems that they don't want to distract from the launch of their new (four door) Charger! Maybe they just want to scoop the Z06 rollout in Detroit. Hopefully they will reconsider and show at both shows (unless it is just the GTS/SRT hermaphrodite). Personally, I think they would be making a big mistake if they don't exhibit the coupe at the NAIAS.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see how they could have something ready by the NAIAS unless they plan to keep the coupe substantially the same as the car they showed at VOI.

Therefore, let's not rush them!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that it's vital that the SRT-Coupe is revealed either just before, or at the same time as the C6 Z06 Corvette. There has been a press hyperbole building around the upcoming Z06, and VOI8 was the only glimpse/hint about what the SRT-Coupe will be like.

Unlike some here, I think that the SRT-Coupe show at VOI8 looked great (better than anticipated) and all it needs is 550HP-600HP+ to really make a big splash. :eek: :laugh:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest I heard was that DC was going to show the coupe at the LA show and not the Detroit show -- seems that they don't want to distract from the launch of their new (four door) Charger! Maybe they just want to scoop the Z06 rollout in Detroit. Hopefully they will reconsider and show at both shows (unless it is just the GTS/SRT hermaphrodite). Personally, I think they would be making a big mistake if they don't exhibit the coupe at the NAIAS.

I was told the coupe will debut at the LA Auto Show and will also be shown at the NAIAS show. don't expect a big HP jump for at least a year.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't expect a big HP jump for at least a year.

While I know nothing about the plans (once again DC is keeping a pretty good secret), I would be surprised if it didn't get announced with at least a 50 HP bump. Why? Two reasons: First, the original coupe (GTS) appeared with 450 HP to the RT/10's original 400. Second, DC has already demonstrated and patented a 600 HP version at SEMA with the SRT Carbon. In my very humble opinion, if the Viper is to have a fighting chance at staying alive for the long run, they MUST trounce the Corvette before it can even get it's feet. While I am personally not interested in a "cookie cutter" sports car for the masses (C6 Z06), if it offers almost identical performance with more goodies for less money, the Viper's days are numbered. Bottom line: Not only a coupe, but a Corvette-crushing coupe is what needs to show up in Detroit. Soon.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't expect a big HP jump for at least a year.

While I know nothing about the plans (once again DC is keeping a pretty good secret), I would be surprised if it didn't get announced with at least a 50 HP bump. Why? Two reasons: First, the original coupe (GTS) appeared with 450 HP to the RT/10's original 400. Second, DC has already demonstrated and patented a 600 HP version at SEMA with the SRT Carbon. In my very humble opinion, if the Viper is to have a fighting chance at staying alive for the long run, they MUST trounce the Corvette before it can even get it's feet. While I am personally not interested in a "cookie cutter" sports car for the masses (C6 Z06), if it offers almost identical performance with more goodies for less money, the Viper's days are numbered. Bottom line: Not only a coupe, but a Corvette-crushing coupe is what needs to show up in Detroit. Soon.

I'm only relaying what I was told by an SRT employee at SEMA last month. How truthful that information was may be open to debate but I have no reason to believe I was being misled. I hope the info is wrong because another big jump in HP is needed to kepp the Viper ahead of the competition that is now nipping at its heels.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The LA show was always the long term goal, so it should be there with bells and whistles. I believe the Detroit show was shelved months ago. We all know the VOI-8 car was a concept, so for all the devoted, DC says this will be a production model. I have faith it will knock folks socks off even more!

OP
OP
T

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally don't think the Viper's days can be numbered by a more powerful C6. The Corvette never can and never will approach the RAW sex and gawk appeal of the Viper. This is part of what makes the Viper exotic and unique that no Corvette can ever compare to it. Besides the Corvette keeps on getting uglier with every design update. Sit in one and drive it, it's just a supped up GM car. You feel this and it satisfies little.

Viper is Viper on its own and nothing can come close to its raw persona and fierce neck-snapping V10 performance. It's just appealing in everything it does because it satisfies everything one can desire. It is KING!! Look for an encore show of mind-numbing performance increases over the next few years where I predict DC will do what they did in early '99 by introducing the '00 GTS/R concept in a few years as the Gen III GTS-R in order to prolong the product life cycle of Gen III until 2010 at least. :2tu:

Look at all of the copycats trying to join the V10 500 HP club: M5, Supra prototype, C6, who else...I know I am forgetting some. Point is Viper will always stay in the lead regardless of horsepower numbers, because it's so unique. Viper's whole purpose is not to be intended for the general public. So it won't have general features. It will always break the norm and exceed standards by setting new ones for the followers to copy. :headbang:

Viper. Always imitated, never duplicated.
:cool: :D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A "spy-in-Detroit" relayed a message that it looked MORE like Comp Coupe that the car shown at VOI.8 ( !!!!!!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960