Any tips for closing the hood by yourself? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like if I close the hood by myself I have to spend 10 minutes adjusting it after it latches to get the gaps where I like them (by doors, by headlights, and by front tires).

When someone helps me it seems to go a lot smoother.

Was wondering if you guys had any tips on where to push or what order to do certain things.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lower the hood and first make sure it's where I want it on both sides up by the windshield/doors. ( I believe the manual says to lower the hood from the center of the windshield, but I am only 5'4", so not possible for me!)

I then put my hands left and right, slightly above the Naca duct, and push. If you look under the hood you will see where the hinges are, so by pushing there you are closing it at the strongest support area

Last edited:

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will come along and make this easier to understand than I can, but...

From open position and standing on the side of the car
1) Grasp CENTER/TOP of hood with overhand grasp with the hand furthest away from you (as close to inbetween stripes as you can)
2) Grasp corner of hood closest to you like you're holding a beer
3) Close hood gently
4) Get in front of hood, bend knees and lean forward
5) Place your hands equal width apart, fingers spread, slightly above and out away from duct.(make sense?)
6) Use an even force and close the hood. Don't gotta slam her, just even pressure for a nice even close.

If you still have gaps you may just had to adjust the hood with the stoppers to get it how you like it.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like if I close the hood by myself I have to spend 10 minutes adjusting it after it latches to get the gaps where I like them (by doors, by headlights, and by front tires).

When someone helps me it seems to go a lot smoother.

Was wondering if you guys had any tips on where to push or what order to do certain things.

WOW, Code I never knew it could be so complicated! I just lower the hood a lil' like Leslie mentioned & spread my hands about a foot apart & about a foot above the bottom duct (actually about the bottom of the 2 side ducts) & close it pretty firm! At least thats how Dolph showed me!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 for the leslie and md technique, but i also use only finger tips, spread wide, not full hands/palms

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously? :rolleyes:

^^^ This. It is a simple process that I've been doing by myself, since day one, when I bought the car 6 years ago. If you have to do anything but lower it to the guides by the doors, push it down to the latches using the correct hand placement, followed by a final push to latch it, your car needs panel alignment or the latches / guides realigned or replaced..

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that flipping the hand latch manually after you lower the hood into position makes the last pushing-down part require significantly less effort (and therefore less stress on the hood). Not required and probably a function of the exact set-up/adjustment, but wouldn't be bad to try the technique and see if it makes your life any easier.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone ... I actually DID learn something.

I was pushing BELOW the air intake duct ... about a foot width on either side. Now I know to push above it.

Also, I think I hurry and dont go to BOTH sides up by the window to check for clearance.

I will try the hand latch trick too ... I appreciate it guys ( and expected a little flaming ) :)

Sometimes the hood hits my tires ... so I wanted to make sure that happened as little as possible (im running 20's)

It would kill me to mess something up on this expensive hood, so I figured I should ask since I didnt know anyone else who owned a viper to ask in person ---

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some funny comments in this thread, lol

Closing and latching the hood scares the s out of me.

Closing the hood correctly does take years of experience.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my turn...

The following are all acceptable techniques to closing the Viper clamshell hood:

You must be registered for see images attach

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just push the little button on the dash that reads "close hood". :dunno:

... altough I do like Dom's technique.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The upkeep on Dom's hood closers'd break me though. I think I'll just keep using my palm..... (double entendre intended)

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also,

after closing the hood, go to each side and lift up on the hood just above the wheel to be sure it has latched on each side.

Thats a good tip too , the a-hole mechanic at the dealership pulled up on my air intake scoop and the moldings almost broke off. He was checking to see if it latched. I like your method a LOT better!!!

Atleast we dont have to worry about the hood flying up while we are driving and taking out the windshield HAHAH!!! ---

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently the OP was using this technique...hands too low on the hood...although her more significant attributes are in the correct closing position...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4