any video genius out there in the viper world?

Cindi Lux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Know any creative people who like to mess around creating racing videos? If so, could use some help.

Here is what I am looking for:
  • After a World Challenge race, I will provide you the in-car footage within a few days of the race.
  • Then you will do your editing thing and pull a few laps from the video and post it on our website.
  • I just need somebody who has some experience in editing and has an interest in helping our race program for 08. Before anybody asks, there is no $$ for this position. but there are other ways to do trade outs! :headbang:
  • Its not a huge undertaking if you have previous experience.
  • This could be a fun opportunity for somebody who has some extra time and is a wizard in the world of video editing to give us a hand.
  • Previous sample of your work would be apprecaited to see if we are on the same page in terms of style. I like stuff that is different.
So if you know anybody who might like this opportunity, just let me know. With our involvement with Mopar this year, we just need to take a walk on the wild side of creativity. I just thought I would reach out to the Viper nation as you guys seem to hooked up on everything!!

Anybody got an ideas?:dunno:

If possible, drop me an email vs. a PM. I don't check it too often.

Cindi Lux

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's 3 old different examples of my homemade videos using similar footage, but not race track stuff. I fabricated some camera mounts, changing / making graphics, music, etc., altering / zooming the motion video.. and resized smaller as wmv format so they may appear a bit grainy (mpegs were around 70 to 100 meg).
Mike

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/2000_Dodge_Viper_RT10_10_02_2007.wmv

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Rollin_with_the_Viper_10_30_2007.wmv

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Viper_Time_Machine_11_29_2007.wmv

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's 3 old different examples of my homemade videos using similar footage, but not race track stuff. I fabricated some camera mounts, changing / making graphics, music, etc., altering / zooming the motion video.. and resized smaller as wmv format so they may appear a bit grainy (mpegs were around 70 to 100 meg).
Mike

:drive:Very cool stuff!!!!

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to do any bashing here, but the two examples on your website are pretty simple, considering the great software that is out there these days for video editing. My advice would be to buy a software package such as Pinnacle Studio Plus, find someone on your team or someone related, and let them get creative. These new software packages are simple drag and drop and include HD formats, 5.1 digital sound, menu and title editing, picture in picture, and great transitions for both sound and video. Pinnacles new version 12 even has a montage feature that allows you to show six or more screens at once. I use this software quite a bit (no, I'm not offering my services, I just don't have time) and it's really simple to use. If you have someone on or close to your team you'll be able to give more creative input for your final product.

Good luck with your racing career, and thanks for being such a great representative for all of us Viper owners.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike

Nice videos by the way.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not trying to do any bashing here, but the two examples on your website are pretty simple, considering the great software that is out there these days for video editing. My advice would be to buy a software package such as Pinnacle Studio Plus, find someone on your team or someone related, and let them get creative. These new software packages are simple drag and drop and include HD formats, 5.1 digital sound, menu and title editing, picture in picture, and great transitions for both sound and video. Pinnacles new version 12 even has a montage feature that allows you to show six or more screens at once. I use this software quite a bit (no, I'm not offering my services, I just don't have time) and it's really simple to use. If you have someone on or close to your team you'll be able to give more creative input for your final product.

Good luck with your racing career, and thanks for being such a great representative for all of us Viper owners.

Pinnacle is pretty low end. I'd stay away from it if you have a choice. I'm not really sure what you mean about the videos being simple. You can like them or not like them but simplicity is usually a good thing. People have a tendency to get these editing programs and use every cheap wipe/A-B transition/video toaster effect in the book in an effort to make the video look high end and the result is anything but that. From what I have seen, the video that Chuck posted is by far the best and it is most likely the most simple of them all.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I made a quick demo for Cindi after a few PM / email exchanges.. seeking feedback.. never heard back after this video demo below.. I even recorded my voice (yes.. a pathetic attempt to sound like a radio jock..) via a mic on my PC.. more can be done.. but this was a quick demo on my personal time and I never heard back or so.. so I may as well share it with you'all.. :dunno:

Short video demo:
http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Cindi_Lux_preliminary_07_17_2008.wmv (low quality wmv conversion..)

Here's a CAD screen grab of the virtual 3D CAD geometry / image I made.. (try to do that Makara :rolaugh: )

Cindi rocks! :headbang:

You must be registered for see images

Better resolution image.. check it out if interested..

[media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/Cindi_Lux_image1.jpg[/media]

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a CAD screen grab of the virtual 3D CAD geometry / image I made.. (try to do that Makara :rolaugh: )

Cindi rocks! :headbang:

Forgive me, I don't know if you are joking or not when making that jab. On one hand you could have been butt hurt because I gave some simple advise and said Chuck's video was the best, which it is, and thought you would make some backhanded remark while showing off half a box in CAD and lighting it without even using a basic three light setup. On the other hand maybe you were smart enough, before making that jab, to look in my profile to learn more about me before talking crap and saw my internet movie database page and would know that I make films for a living so you were making a joke. Either way :rolaugh:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgive me, I don't know if you are joking or not when making that jab. On one hand you could have been butt hurt because I gave some simple advise and said Chuck's video was the best, which it is, and thought you would make some backhanded remark while showing off half a box in CAD and lighting it without even using a basic three light setup. On the other hand maybe you were smart enough, before making that jab, to look in my profile to learn more about me before talking crap and saw my internet movie database page and would know that I make films for a living so you were making a joke. Either way :rolaugh:

You're kidding right? That looks like @$$. That RT model you have there looks like the one floating around the internet for years now... and what's with the fr!@ken go-bot? You seem to have the tools... finish the job or don't bother posting it. At least the other guy doesn't profess to be a pro.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is why I used the laughing emoticon.. I am not a video maker..

btw - I also surface "real production cars" for a living (not triangulated / mesh / wrapped data).. worked in a few design studios in my career so far i.e. Ford Motor Company, and others I can't talk about due to confidentiality.. Heck here's a post I helped out on below, took me about 15 minutes or so to make each wheel or whatever is shown is made from scratch, see all the pages.. that's just playing in CATIA on a crappy old home PC, you should see ICEM. I also taught CAD in the Viper engineering group back in 2000.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/611196-looking-some-3d-wheel-designs-4.html

I'll attempt what you can make in CAD if you want to swing that blade.. :rolaugh:

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To Makara:

So they ARE making a 3rd Narnia movie???

Cool.

I have worked on it for over a year, still in preproduction. Things have gotten a little stirred up recently so I'm not sure what is going to happen.

Last edited:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're kidding right? That looks like @$$. That RT model you have there looks like the one floating around the internet for years now... and what's with the fr!@ken go-bot? You seem to have the tools... finish the job or don't bother posting it. At least the other guy doesn't profess to be a pro.

lol, I'm not going to take more than a few minutes to make an image purely to respond to someone that talked crap after posting half a cube with a few shapes extruded. The RT is an old low rez model of a viper transformer that I used to do a test for transformers. Actually, the car is the robot as well, just transformed into it's car shape. After production liked my test, I ended up turning down that project to work with a director that I wanted to work with more. :rolaugh:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, I'm not going to take more than a few minutes to make an image purely to respond to someone that talked crap after posting half a cube with a few shapes extruded. The RT is an old low rez model of a viper transformer that I used to do a test for transformers. Actually, the car is the robot as well, just transformed into it's car shape. After production liked my test, I ended up turning down that project to work with a director that I wanted to work with more. :rolaugh:

Talk crap.. :dunno:

Heck all I did was use a laughing emoticon, self inflicted humor surely backfired.. then again.. my PC speakers aren't plugged in... is that laughing emoticon actually saying insults audibly?

Holy crap, I'm out of here! I can't take it anymore! Ricocheting everywhere.. duck! :omg:

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Talk crap.. :dunno:

Heck all I did was use a laughing emoticon, self inflicted humor surely backfired.. then again.. my PC speakers aren't plugged in... is that laughing emoticon actually saying insults audibly?

Holy crap, I'm out of here! I can't take it anymore! Ricocheting everywhere.. duck! :omg:

Perhaps I read it wrong. Before I replied, I showed your post to a friend who also thought that you were giving me crap for putting my two cents in earlier in the thread.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you read my reply, Cindi didn't even want to use my amateur attempts..

Why I try is nothing more than an effort to help. I spent hours trying to figure out what to do.. all personal time too.. I knew it sucked because I have some great friends who had a good laugh at my expense.. but if it's worth a laugh, so the effort was worth the time.. Heck you should known how much time I spent making those Viper videos, welding up camera brackets, etc.. Friends always reply with a laugh..

Your friend is getting you wound up for nothing. I even listened to your advice and didn't use any of those transitions that are commonly used. I have mentioned this at workplaces many times in the past: when the technology of animation or gaming and automotive engineering merge, so much time can be saved when it comes to virtually reviewing a future vehicle design with motion dynamically rather than static 2D or 3D images.

Hence my funny pun "swing that blade" comment above (whereas it's just static 3D data without the animated motion capability)..

Good luck, look forward to new stuff.
Mike

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, well it still looks like @$$. Why crank out crap then try to talk down someone else's work?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, well it still looks like @$$. Why crank out crap then try to talk down someone else's work?

From what I took, as well a friend that read the thread, he was trying to give me crap for my brief suggestions earlier in the thread with the use of CAD and the comment of "try to do that Makara" I never tried to dog any one's work. I work in film because I enjoy making movies and always have as a kid. If people have interests in making films as well, I support it and am happy to offer suggestions should they want it. I won't sugar coat my suggestions but I am happy to give constructive criticism. Like I said, as I read the comment, it seemed like an F-U and I just didn't feel like putting up with any crap today. If I was wrong sorry. Really I don't care at this point. If it were to have been an F U, putting up a cg car on a viper board seemed appropriate. Thinking back, I remembered the transformers test I did and the viper I used. Yeah, it's pretty low rez but what I had on my computer at the time that had something to do with cars and was not confidential or from an unreleased film. I no longer use high rez models anymore anyway for the most part. I started out doing high end feature film character animation but moved on to helping plan out the film making and story telling of movies. Could I have put something together that looks amazing? Yeah, but why go ape **** when I am so busy? I have real projects that I am working on that require attention, to spend a lot of time putting something together that is pretty much a joke just doesn't make sense for me. I didn't want to turn this into a dick swinging contest.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't want to turn this into a dick swinging contest.

Funny... that's what all this posturing seems like to me. And let's not confuse being a vfx artist as "I make films for a living." Slight exaggeration doncha think? You might enjoy the process, and what you do, but making the light bulbs that go into a Viper doesn't make you the chief designer of the Viper.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funny... that's what all this posturing seems like to me. And let's not confuse being a vfx artist as "I make films for a living." Slight exaggeration doncha think? You might enjoy the process, and what you do, but making the light bulbs that go into a Viper doesn't make you the chief designer of the Viper.

I was a VFX artist 5 years ago, not now. I'm not going to explain what I do to you. This whole thing has gotten stupid. A basically responded to a comment that seemed to be along the lines of "I bet you can't do this wise ass" which seemed to be in retaliation for trying to help out and give some advice.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're not going to explain what you do.. then what do you think it may imply to others?

I am trying to be polite here, you keep putting words in my mouth.. but I can take it.. So if you think I was swinging it with that cube and text, heck.. let's go at it then because I'll have step it up to save face since you keep repeating absurd accusations.. Looks like you thought I was an amateur in the CAD world so you became a bit too harsh with some issues don't you think? I laughed at myself with that image, hoping you would just do that also.. I think we need to expose a few things..

That viper you showed is scanned (cg = computer generated) 3D information of a real car or meshed CAD data from the OEM. I've come across many fancy demos in the scanning industry, it's either done via White Light Scanning, Photogrammetry, or some Laser triangulation method. In other words; whomever put a real Dodge Viper into a room, swung a scanner around the car, and voila you have a big blob of 3D data on the computer to play with. Then it's just a matter of splitting the regions as you can assign different materials to the headlight, windshield, wheels etc.. separate the portions for the robot, etc.. Then you can apply materials, as shown in your software image, you can assign paint effects, etc..

In other words, you are exaggerating the capability to create 3D data with that Viper image. You're scanning stuff that is already made, or you get your hands on real CAD data which you can tessellate (i.e. Geomagic, etc..). Heck I saw a demo of scanning a real life tree used in animations, it's cool technology that's for sure.

So reviewing that Viper image you posted.. what did you actually create? This is a direct question in return (since you graciously critiqued my first image). The tires are scanned, the fenders, hood, doors, fascias, etc.. and what is left over? Looks to me like a body which is a cube, the hands look cool, but I bet that is scanned data also. There's just simple extruded geometry behind the panels and rockers for the legs and some text.

The point I am trying to make is illustrating creativity of creating 3D data, you rely on scanning equipment and software for rendering. Compare my quick wheel image to your image, the quality of that data will always be better than that data because it's real CAD surface b-spline / nurb data, not triangulated / facetted data nor a random nurb wrap (random surface / quilt type patches..). Sure you can "hide" your meshy triangulated data by increasing the density beyond what is visible on the TV screen, but in my world we have to make real production panels that look smooth in real life. Your facetted data is rough, it's lighter to manipulate when it comes to animating the motions, I understand that, why use heavy data, which appears to be your past jobs in pre-visualization? In my world, facetted scan data is very poor regardless of density, the only parts we can make are castings, etc.. from scan data, absolutey never used for class A surface parts (exterior or interior panels).

There's a great effort in modeling a production engine block, including the water jackets etc.. or a cylinder head, or how about a car body panels from scratch understanding class A surfacing, G3/4 quality data, curvature in addition to tangency evaluating the reflection lines which establish curvature or styling of a vehicle..

You're elevating yourself far beyond compared to what we do in the real world in 3D.. then again, that must come much easier in your industry having only the quality or visualization boundaries of the TV or theatre screen, whereas our design boundaries include engineering (packaging, fea / cfd analysis, etc..) and manufacturing (stamping, molding, etc..), in such that our 3D data actually has to survive and function in real life as physical parts. There's surely piles of stuff I'm not aware of in making movies or animations (and I do respect that) in which this reply is specifically regarding 3D data.

Do you own a Gen3 Viper or? Heck Pete Gladysz gave me a Viper to use for the weekend way back when I was working in the Featherstone building because I saved / repaired a corrupt CAD model of the Gen3 engine block, helping out his designers save a bunch of reverse engineering time.. Sorry Warfang.. I know you made the comment that I didn't profess to be a pro.. bit this has gone too far.. I usually let others speak for my skills than tooting my own horn.

Last edited: