Anyone Done a Pistol Grip Shifter?

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the things I miss about my old '70 Charger R/T is the Hurst Pistol-Grip shifter. I just loved that thing. So after an install of the MGW shift mechanism last weekend (thanks Mark @Woodhouse), I've been thinking about changing the stock shift knob and shaft for a shorter, pistol grip type. This may take a bit of custom work in the machine shop, but I'm willing to do that. Anyone here gone down this route already? Any tips or sources of pistol-rip style knobs? To me, no Mopar is quite complete without one... :headbang:

RCC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont have a pistol grip shifter, but I did have in one of my machine shop friends make me an adaptor so I could use the MGW race knob on my MGW shifter. Its the best shifter set up IMHO.

The adaptor-

You must be registered for see images attach

A few pictures of the shifter installed-

You must be registered for see images

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gun slinger was making them. I have one in my 08. They look like the ones from the 70S

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant post pictures but if you want pictures give me your email address

OP
OP
S

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gun slinger was making them. I have one in my 08. They look like the ones from the 70S

Yep, found that 'Gunslinger' outfit on the Web. Looks like polished carbon fiber? $175. Not very good images on his site, really. So, how do you like it? Any issues?

Hurst makes a solid aluminum pistol grip for the Viper but I think that might get a little on the hot side if parked out in the sun (black anodized or clear anodized aluminum).

OP
OP
S

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RCC, the race knob by MGW is ergonomically a great alternative, I'm sure if I was doing some serious track time I'd look that way. But I'm just pining for that ol' pistol grip look and feel from my muscle car days. It's a reversible mod, so I won't have any guilt over it. Keeping the stock shift handle around! Seriously, shifting a 1970 Charger or A-Body through the gears with a Hurst pistol grip is is an experience to be remembered... the roar of the 440, the chirping tires, awesome... Getting a little of that in a car that actually corners with the best of them (Vpr), two+ thumbs up!!

OP
OP
S

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks really cool although it's missing Fangs logo on the top. Wonder if it would work well for racing.

It looks like that one is an adapted Billet Technology shift handle (see Fasthemis.com). That particular handle does not bolt up directly to a Viper shift mechanism, IIRC. Nice sinister shape, tho.

JLorello

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only thing I would worry about with a pistol grip would be mis-shifting a 3-4 shift because you can't rotate your hand. Cool for the street, bad for the track?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte