Anyone drive the beast in pouring rain?? experiences??

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never drive my car out into the rain (99 ACR), but I have been caught in the rain on a least a few occasions (i.e. returning from Viper events). No big deal, the car exhibits no ill manners and handles fine. Use your discretion! Obviously, with so much raw power at the ready, any indiscretion could have serious consequences. Just drive the car the same as you might if in were a family sedan being subjected to the same conditions. This car has excellent road manners. Just make certain the inputs are commensurate with the road conditions. Good luck!

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rain in Seattle? Never happens...

I've been caught in numerous downpours while on the road. The Pilot Sports are incredible in the rain, shedding HUGE walls of water out the wheel openings. Look back in your side mirrors- it is a telling tale.

I have been caught in extreme downpours above 110 where I felt a bit nervous, (OK, real nervous) so I would drop to 80. Light rain at 110 is no problem. One big bonus? the wall of water vapor behind you is so big that lidar cannot get a lock. (Yep, I've been hit at 90+ by lidar, and the motorcycle cop never put down his doughnut)

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only had by GTS for a few months. I had to bring it home from the dealer (50 miles) in the pouring rain. I'd only had 2 short test drives in one before that, but had no problems.

It's my daily driver and I'll be taking it out every day until they start to talk about snow here. Best quote I've heard on how to drive a Viper in the rain. Just drive it like you'd drive you neighbor's Accord.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree that Viper handles fine in rain with some regard for the circumstances...HOWEVER, watch going through standing water----your Snake does NOT like to ingest water...can kill motor for good. (jump in here Herman for more details and advice )

Paul Fischer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had read every article in every magazine telling me how the Viper was a beast to handle, especially in the wet. After that the day I picked up my 98 I was quite concerned I might not make it back home over two hundered miles of hilly, rainswept Texas country roads. Instead I enjoyed one on the great drives of my life. Tires were the key, the Pilots were great. The advice of driving it like an Accord is well taken, you don't want to take any chances with wide tires and no ABS. Remember all the other cars on the road are probaly staring at your car, not paying attention to other traffic, and they are on rainslicked roads as well. With that in mind add an extra measure of caution. It's a Viper, not a Watermoccasin.

And you ought to see the roostertail when you add a wing to your snake!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my case, tires are an annual purchase, and this summer I was down to almost no tread. A quick shower showed me no tread is awful scary - I couldn't drive a straight line at 60MPH. New tires, (and reading all these other posts) shows it's fine in the rain - as long as there's a little tread on the tires.

Reaction score
I have had my '93 in the rain a few times, and despite what EVERY RT/10 owners says...my doesn't leak too bad. There is one spot where the windows & top meet the window frame where it leaks but other than that its good. But there is a downfault...my window fogs up, and I have to open of the side curtains, wheich inevitably lets in a lot of water...but it doesn't really matter...I just wipe the inside of the door down when I get out. I know a lot of you guys probably think I'm nuts and hey, I don't really like to drive it in the rain but sometimes you have to or something. I mean its just a car. (Even though it may be 70k, etc...

speedshftr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when i flew in to florida to get my gts it was a mini tornado///the car needed tires also so that made matters worse.coming up i95 was a handful the tourqe is too much in the rain . i sat at the rest stop for a few hours then went on.10 and a half hours from jacksonville florida to wilmington delaware. where is big enos burnet im ready to haul coors light or clam chowder in this baby.////you must know smokey and the bandit to get that lol

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only driven in rain once and it was in town at slow speed
What I did find is that my gts leaked like a sieve.
the windshield leaked, the side windows leaked, and the area between the door and the hood leaked and ran down the door panel
If they test these as advertised before leaving he factory they should try using water next time

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez, I drove home from the dealer in a driving rain with this new car just 2 months ago, and nary a drop. It rained for at least 30 minutes. Was very pleased. GTS.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day I got my car I drove over 500 miles to my home in driving rain. It's an RT and I got home without a drip in the car, even between the plastic windows and windshield.

Unlike a soft top cabriolet 911 I had...now that thing leaked like a sieve! Just going to work a few miles in light rain would have my legs soaked from the water pouring in off the ceiling!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in the UK you get very used to driving in the rain...like every day! Have to go a little less heavy on the throttle and brakes, and not too quick into the twisty bits. My tyres always seem to be sporting a lack of tread, which isn't helpful in the wet. I find the biggest danger to watch out for is aqua-planing, if I hit water hanging around in the road, it will suddenly try to throw the Viper off the road and try and take off...hang onto that steering wheel hard! (the roads I drive are narrow; have no hard-shoulder, it's a stone wall...nasty)! I can feel the force of the water when driving in heavy rain, splashing beneath my foot against the footwell. And when parking up, have you seen the rain turn to clouds of steam as it falls on the hot sills?

Has anyone had to drive in the snow? I have! Only time I've found very slow speeds to be a lot of fun...was worried it was all going to end in tears though...(thankfully it didn't) The worst part was getting back onto my drive, took half an hour of fish-tailing, spinning in 3rd at a stand still, and generally sliding all over the place!

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by venom:
guys wondering how many of u guys have or are willing to drive your vipers in some serious rain?? any experiences?? ie are u fishtailing everylight..what rpm to u engage first in?(pretty low i imagine!!)..just wondering..thanks in advance!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some of us women have also been caught out in the rain. Never on purpose, but it happens. Just take it slow! I don't worry so much about the handling of my car, I worry about the lame driver in the mini-van who has trouble driving on a clear dry day! Had my 98Rt/10 out in an unexpected snow storm last year. That was a challenge! Have a wonderful day and be careful. Laura(2000 GTS)

Reaction score
My '93 leaked terribly from the windshield header. The faster I drove, the worse it got.
The '92-'95 Gen1s have a problem with the water off the windshield turning the corner near the sideview mirrors, slipping past the side curtains and invading the cockpit. My 96 GTS has no leaks.

The XGT-Zs were, at best, merely adequate in the rain. The MXX3s however, are very good. I have not driven the Pilot Sports, but they should be even better. If your car is set up with additional negative camber, it will be a handfull to drive.

Do NOT drive on Hoosiers in the wet. You deserve what you will get. (I did...)

I definitely agree that gearing up 1-2 notches will keep the torque curve lazy, and in turn, keep you out of trouble.

2thDr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't give you any advice on that. My 99 GTS hasn't seen a drop of rain in 12 months.

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We ran our GTS coupes in heavy rain at the Viper Days event at VIR ealier this year. The guys running MXX3's were loving it - something like 6 to 10 seconds per lap faster that the guys on Hoosiers.
My feelings are that on the right tires (MXX3's or Pilot Sports) Vipers are fine in the wet as long as you understand what you are asking the car (really the tires) to do. You definitely need to avoid standing water as combined with the Viper's tire width you can get hydroplaning sooner than narrower tire cars.
My wet track experience was very beneficial training. You should try to find a way to get some wet experience with the Viper in a safe environment just to learn the limits.
We actually have some great pictures of our cars rounding Oak Tree turn at VIR in the pouring rain!!

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got caught in one hellatious downpour for about 45 mins coming back from VIO6!!!
Could hardley see to drive anyhow all I was worried about was water ingestion through
Race Cone filters!! Didn't seem to bother car!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala