Anyone got a Gen 1 head gasket set?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To try to extend the life of my paper headgaskets, I was going to retorque my head bolts and have to order new valve cover gaskets. With the gaskets being around $90/each, I'd almost rather just buy the whole Gen 1 head gasket set, and not worry about retorqing the head bolts and just have the head gasket job done if they start to leak in the future. So, anyone have a set they bought for their Gen 1 but ended up selling their car before they did the work? If not, off to Tator's I go :D

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sadly, I can't afford real twin turbos AND an imaginary kid. Therefore, anyone want to buy my imaginary kid for real TT money? We'll start bidding for the kid at $30k. Place your bids in this thread. Free shipping if bidding goes over $50k.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the valve cover gaskets are salty ($90) they are re-usable. So feel free to take the valve cover off any time you wish

As far as your request to re-torque your head bolts you may want to reconsider. The Exhaust manifolds (stock or header type) cover 5 of your 12 head bolts (per side). So getting your manifolds off to do the task is where the real work is

As far as the need.......if yours isn't leaking then don't mess with it

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, I had 80,000+ miles on my '94 when an unfortunate roller lifter needle bearing failure wiped a cam lobe. To replace the cam requires removing the heads, and so I had to get new head gaskets. Up until then I had the OEM gaskets. Below are pictures, and as you can see, only the parts exposed to the atmosphere and the coolant show any real deterioration. Torqueing or keeping them torqued seemed to have kept any critical sections from failing. They look a little rough from being peeled off the block, but they did not leak. Below are lots of pictures of the worst parts - take a look and hopefully you'll decide that the urgency to change them isn't what you might think it is. PM me (which generates an automatic email to me) if you want the orginal pictures or if you want to talk about them. I still have those gaskets, too.

IM000001.JPG

IM000002.JPG

IM000003.JPG

IM000004.JPG

IM000005.JPG

IM000006.JPG

IM000007.JPG

IM000008.JPG

IM000009.JPG

IM0000101.JPG

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ad's over with no bids and would have gone for $1.50?

Said it comes with the upgraded heavy duty HG. They're about $1,000 new right, (MLS)?

What a deal.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CALL GREG GOOD, maybe he can help you out with a good deal on head work to help the car out a little. and he might know a good deal on gaskets too.