Anyone have garage door tracks raised for 4 post lift clearance??

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to get my door raised about 14" & everyone I talk to has a different opinion. I have had estimates from $ 300.00 a door to 1,000.00 per door. It looks to me the angle on the tracks could be changed with a greater angle to bring it up 14" & new springs???

Any suggestions appreciated

Andy

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I didn't have it done (yet), one of our local members had his changed out and they charged him $800 to do it. Moved the tracks and header (where the springs attach to on the structure itself) and I think installed a new upgraded garage door opener. While the latter wasn't required, it made sense as they had to "reinstall" it anyway...

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have (2) 7' X 8' single doors & you would think after calling 10 places I would get more than 4 call backs?? Buss. must be good in the door business.

Andy

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this done to accomodate a 4 post lift. You do need to talk to someone who has done this before. I talked to several companies who did not have clue. I finally got a hold of a company who has done several of these and did a great job at a real good price. They extended the tracks and added another curved piece of track to run the tracks a couple of inches off the ceiling. Since it was a single bay door, they also reinstalled the center mounted opener off to one side to it would not be in the way of the car. My door also had the extension springs instead of the torsion springs, so he also swapped out the old springs for the torsion springs (less dangerous if the springs ever break - sooner or later they all do.)

I would have to go back and check my files to get the price if you want a point of reference. I can do this when I get home tonight.

If you do this and have attic access over your garage, it helps to install an outlet off to one side for the relocated opener. I also installed another duplex box above the corner post of the lift where the electric motor is mounted and ran conduit down from the ceiling to the lift. Looks better and is safer than the extension cord I started out with.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you email me a couple of pictures & let me know what you approx. paid. I know this can be done, like you said I have to find the right company.
[email protected]

Thanks
Andy

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I brought mine all the way to the ceiling (12 feet) to leave plenty of clearance. I had an industrial door opener installed as well so that there was nothing on the cieling above the lift.

The opener mounts next to the door on the wall.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have to change doors?? My wife is threatening to send the viper outside so she has a space.

Any pictures would be appreciated. Houston garage door guys ****!

Andy

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got one quote, 1580.00 with new doors? These doors are only 4 yrs old?? 200.00 less w/o doors & only 30 guarantee??

This is a lot harder than I thought..
It looks soooo simple.

Andy

LIRacer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I built my house, I had one garage done with a 15 foot ceiling for lift clearence. You will need a commercial garage door with more panels on the door itself. The tracks go stright up like a normall door just higher to the ceiling. I can raise my car and walk underneath it with thrre feet over my head.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raised mine as you indicate. Here is a picture. Pretty straight forward. Added additional track and relocated the torsion bar and opener. Allows use of the lift to full height.
498dsc04593_800x-med.jpg

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I added a panel and raised the track a little over 2 ft. No change to the outside opening. The panel cannot be seen from the outside (good thing as it is not painted to match).

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this, $200 per door, included moving the motor, new rails, and new mounting hardware on the door itself. I talked to many companies, most idiots, ranged from 800-1300... The one guy who had done it before was the $200 guy... Overhead door company in plano was the guys, they have done many, maybe they can help your local guy if they have no experience.

9' 2" roof, 2 vipers, and a 4-post and I have 6" to spare.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overhead Door also did my door. This included retracking the door, moving the opener to the side and replacing the extension springs with a torsion spring mechanism. Total charge $425. They did not add another panel, but since the door opener chain track is higher than before, they extended the arm that attaches from the opener chain track to the top of the door.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better. I am going to try Overhead Door today.

JK
One more question, it sounds like they made the angle on the track larger to bring the door up, is that right?

Andy

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did this, $200 per door, included moving the motor, new rails, and new mounting hardware on the door itself. I talked to many companies, most idiots, ranged from 800-1300... The one guy who had done it before was the $200 guy... Overhead door company in plano was the guys, they have done many, maybe they can help your local guy if they have no experience.

9' 2" roof, 2 vipers, and a 4-post and I have 6" to spare.

Hey Nsane,
I am planning on re doing my garage soon ...just wondering...with a 9 2 ceiling, how high up is the upper Viper.....Can you walk under it to work on it or do you have to crouch....(I am 6 ft tall)
Cheers,

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage doors are going in this week, and I am running the tracks plenty high for a lift.
I am not going with the 4 post but a 2 post lift. As I want to be able to get my wheels on/off quickly and will be using it more to work on my GTS.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are right about the track angle. When they retracked the door they ran a 45 degree turn, then a short straight section, and then another 45 degree turn to run the door up against the ceiling. When the opener starts pulling the door it immediately pulls the top edge away from the wall and up the 45 degree track. This allowed the opener to pull the existing door without adding another panel.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it so the garage door would go straight up and then turn and go across. the problem is the door opener pulls on the top edge of the door, thus it needs to be on an angle or in the radius in order to work. An alternative is one of the torsion bar rotary openers where the attitude of the door does not matter.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andy,

I do and have pics,, Can you host pics? also, PM me your number,,

Maek

Mark, Feel free to post them in your gallery.... it looks like you already have nine pictues posted... Viper Garages are Viper related :)

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Overhead Door also did my door. This included retracking the door, moving the opener to the side and replacing the extension springs with a torsion spring mechanism. Total charge $425. They did not add another panel, but since the door opener chain track is higher than before, they extended the arm that attaches from the opener chain track to the top of the door.

Overhead door just put in my two new garage doors too... did a great job. The doors are fantastic, Urethane R-12 foamed in insulation (same way refrigerators are made), nylon rollers (smooth and quiet), exterior seals... nicest garage doors I've ever owned :) This is the 14 foot extension I've been adding to my shop... the winter will be spent finishing the interior:

5Dscn3257-med.jpg

The shop has a 10 foot cieling, the extension a 9 foot... 8 foot doors are as tall as I could install, you can see they ride right next to the trusses.

OP
OP
AJT

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay, I wish I could build an extension to my garage but there is no room. I finally found a guy to do the job. $ 250.00 per door. He is going to use a wider radius track to bring them to the ceiling. Hopefully he shows up Monday.

Thanks for all your pics & ideas
Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte