Anyone install an SVS Shifter? Do you need to drop the tranny to install?

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a how-to link on how to do it from underneath. I ordered an SVS shifter earlier this week and I haven't decided yet on whether I'm going at it from the top or dropping the transmission.

SVS Shift Install

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, A problem with removing the 2 crossmember bolts on the tranny and lowering it is that it will be hard to get the alignment correct when you bolt it back up as there are adjustment slots built in to the crossmember. You might want to scribe a circle around each of the bolts that attach to the crossmember so you will be better able to locate the transmission when you reinstall the bolts.

Robbie

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is just what I needed. Can you let me know how your install goes?

Wreckless,

Did you ever receive your SVS shifter? I ordered mine on July 24 and am still waiting. Ron at SVS said today that they should have some more later this week. By the time I get mine it will have been over one month since I placed my order.

Also, I heard from a reliable tuner recently that the SVS and the B&M ripper shifter are the same thing under different names. One is blue anodized and the other isn't. First time I'd heard that one.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I wish I'd heard about the two being basically the same unit before I ordered the SVS shifter. However, SVS already has my money through a Paypal transfer or I'd go for that eBay link.

OP
OP
wreckless

wreckless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, I haven't gotten my shifter and am disappointed to hear it is a generic. Sorry for the delay but went on a Med Cruise that was great. Also got a ride in a Ferrari F430 Spyder through the streets of Barcelona...that was memorable.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is just what I needed. Can you let me know how your install goes?

Wreckless,

Did you ever receive your SVS shifter? I ordered mine on July 24 and am still waiting. Ron at SVS said today that they should have some more later this week. By the time I get mine it will have been over one month since I placed my order.

Also, I heard from a reliable tuner recently that the SVS and the B&M ripper shifter are the same thing under different names. One is blue anodized and the other isn't. First time I'd heard that one.

Jeff,

We have been supporting the Viper community for 10 years. We have also been making our OWN shifters for the Viper for over 7 years. Our shifters fit Gen1, 2 and 3. As I mentioned to you in the email that I sent we have been waiting for 1 piece to arrive so the shifters can be assembled. I apologized for the delay and will credit you both back $25. SVS is a small shop and doesn't sell the quanities of shifters like B&M.

We sell shifters and other Viper related products so we can keep our passion alive and fueled for the Viper. We are the Father and Son shop. We continue to race and uphold the Vipers respect at many levels. We try our best to satisfy and deliver higher quality products compared to the cookie cutter corporate movers.

The SVS shifter IS NOT a B&M shifter. The SVS shifter has been refined by listening to Viper customers over the years discuss what they wanted in their shifter. Ours is a high quality custom made shifter.

Your reliable tuner :hitfan: is completely wrong and I would like to tell him that to his face :bonker: OR he can do it on this thread if he has the balls to admit his incompetance :crazy:

Ron Jr.

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

So you are saying that SVS makes these shifters completely from SCRATCH?

Please clarify... thanks.

Our machine shop that is exclusive to SVS makes these shifters completely from SCRATCH. We created these for the Viper and they're not a generic B&M.

All the pieces are machined in house and other small parts are purchased from McMaster Carr or similar.

Who is the SO-CALLED reliable tuner who needs to be sent in the correct direction :buttkick:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Anyone install an SVS Shifter? Do you need to drop the tranny to install?

Who is the SO-CALLED reliable tuner who needs to be sent in the correct direction
Ron,

As I said, it was the first time I heard that the two shifters were the same except for one being anodized. I will mention your comments to him and see if he would like to take the time to come on here and state where he gets his info from.

I am glad to hear directly from you that they are not the same. I was a bit disappointed at first when I thought I'd spent more for the same thing under a different name.

I must have spent several hours researching the VCA forums and other places over the course of a week when deciding on what shifter to get between the SVS, B&M, Hurst or an MGW knob with the stock internals ands a shorter shaft. The SVS was the most expensive option but you can see from my order what I decided on.

I didn't base it on "you get what you pay for" or anything. Rather, the SVS had the most positive owner comments that I could find and everyone who has one likes it. I didn't mind paying a few dollars more. I will post my own feedback here after I've installed it.

OP
OP
wreckless

wreckless

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you showed up here to set the record straight, Ron. And I can not wait to get the shifter that was ordered. I missed one track day so far waiting. I'm counting on your product to be worth it.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

I browsed the SVS webpage, most items have $0 price on them....?? Are the available?

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Who is the SO-CALLED reliable tuner who needs to be sent in the correct direction
Ron,

As I said, it was the first time I heard that the two shifters were the same except for one being anodized. I will mention your comments to him and see if he would like to take the time to come on here and state where he gets his info from.

I am glad to hear directly from you that they are not the same. I was a bit disappointed at first when I thought I'd spent more for the same thing under a different name.

I must have spent several hours researching the VCA forums and other places over the course of a week when deciding on what shifter to get between the SVS, B&M, Hurst or an MGW knob with the stock internals ands a shorter shaft. The SVS was the most expensive option but you can see from my order what I decided on.

I didn't base it on "you get what you pay for" or anything. Rather, the SVS had the most positive owner comments that I could find and everyone who has one likes it. I didn't mind paying a few dollars more. I will post my own feedback here after I've installed it.

Thank you for the reply Jeff.

I was mainly interested in defending that the correct information about our shifters was presented to our customers on this thread. I don't care if he comments here or not because it's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I appreciate that you commented on your research of the forums and that you found positive feedback from our customers who purchased an SVS shifter. We get the same feedback.

We usually get 15-20 shifters made and they go fast because we install them onto customers Vipers in our shop. If I had the funds I would make a run of 50 - 100 and have them more readily available.

I'm riding our machine shop to get these completed and shipped ASAP.