Anyone put 3M or similar rockguard on their cars?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had it on my Vette because where I live they use a lot of sand and finely crushed rock on the roads in the winter. It is well into the year before the roads are clear of it. The thing is, the plastic is not invisible, especially on the hood and looks as bad as small paint chips to me. Kind of like the plastic on granny's couch.
Did anyone do it on their Viper, and if so, what panels? I had the stuff on the sides of my Z06 and it was relatively hard to see. I plan on driving less than 4000 miles a year so I could take a chance but I remember have fast the Vette picked up paint nicks the first spring I drove it. Anyone?

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done it on my other cars, I plan on doing it soon on my GTS. Works well. Not cheap though.

Eagle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have it since the car was new. There was a kit that covered the front bumper, about 8 inches up on the hood, and the mirrors that i started with. I then had it installed behind the front wheels(very important), behind the rear wheels, and on the rockers completely. Ive seen cars with 5000 miles that have significant chips behind the front wheels, thats why i put it on the car new. My car is silver and i dont think it is very noticable for the protection. The dealer paid for the kit and i paid for extra but i would guess the whole thing was 7-8 hundred. Eagle

BOGOTA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PHILLLLLL, what's up? I actually ordered it from www.EASTWOOD.com.
They sell them by the roll for like $38 dollars. I installed it myself. I will be doing it on the viper soon.

OP
OP
N

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sort of thought it was worse on light colors. On my yelow Vette the very edge of the 3M would get a bit dirty after a while and eventually not be cleanable, except maybe by a detailer.
I paid around $300 for a foot wide strip that ran from behind the front wheels to the very back "corners" of the car, and for two small circles on the mirrors.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great on my coupe. They did a full rap at a local shop which covered the sills, behind the wheels, the entire front, mirrors and 24" up the hood.

Added bonus: Less car to wax :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang