ARROW REBUILD EFFECT RESALE VALUE?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Considering your case I would think that it would probably assist your resale. This is based on the fact that Vipers are mileage sensitive for resale, though most of us feel this is unwarranted. The rebuild will offset some of that to prospective buyers, as ARROW is very well respected, but do not get into an issue about mileage. The car has 42k, and will always have 42k, so refrain from discussing mileage, just mention that the engine had an Arrow rebuild at said time. Best of luck.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a collector of some rare muscle I would just present the car as having a 42k mile viper.I wouldn't want to buy a 42k mile car with a rebuild if I could buy the same condition same mileage car without one. Theres no way you are going to convince me that because some company rebuilds engines and does a good job that its better than factory thats bull. They are not working with some special magic metal,they got that job from chrysler because they had the best price and I am sure probabaly a good rep to go with it. That being said the next thing I think is why did the motor have to be rebuilt with only 42k miles on it? Must not of took very good care of it, I wonder what will break next, lets go check out that other car we called on.

Bill and Dave gave their opinion and they might be right! But I wanted to show you the flipside of the coin because in my mind theres no way I am paying as much for a rebuild as untouched. I have a couple of fellow viper owners sitting here beside me,one agrees and the other says it doesn't matter to him but he would not pay extra for it.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie...you are 100% right! Wait till Jon B. reads your post...that should "put a bustle in his hedgerow!" Like that Led Zeppelin reference? LOL Most of the motors didn't need complete rebuild from the get-go.

Anyway...I'd venture to say that 70% of motors rebuilt by Arrow just needed headgaskets...what a waste of man hours...

Jamie...are you and Heffner going to the Nats this year??

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen II oil consumption problems are very common. I think we've done 2 genII's this year, and I came in at 5 this morning to finish a genI that was using oil.(20k) All have had rebuilds. The engine in my car was done at around 19k. This guys car is not a rare muscle car. It's better knowing the engine is "right" now. Believe me, I feel better knowing my head gaskets aren't leaking. If it was a collectors car, then you could be right as far as value. Who would want to buy a car with an engine problem?
GT2, blue rt/10, COPO or GT500KR, sure it might change the value,............ old roadster with a rebuild, BETTER than new.dj

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it three years. The conversation between GEN1 owners may sound like this, "Nice car! How may miles? Who replaced your sleeves and gaskets -OR- Who did your rebuild?"
This is what we may be coming to. If the problem becomes prevalent then Arrow will be the higher resale value. If I where shopping for a GEN1 to drive then I would look for the Dodge's Arrow engine.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better yet...I will offer a potential buyer to put a set of new head gaskets MYSELF on as long as he paid for the gasket set. If it isn't leaking it shouldn't be a problem. Plus, I will wager money that all Arrow rebuilds prior to the new beefier gasket will be leaking once again within the next 5-10 years.

On another note I would not feel comfortable with Dodge mechanics wrenching on my Viper let alone pulling the motor, etc. I'd venture to say that most dealer mechanics are disgruntled with their jobs and or the dealership, which shows in their work. Speaking from experience on this one...

Plus, I'd be leary of buying a Viper with a "rebuild." Who knows why it was rebuilt? Maybe it was because it threw a rod or seized up? I would prefer a ****** mill myself with low miles...

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, I'm sorry to hear that you are/were a disgruntled dealer tech who showed his disgruntleness in his work. Today's great techs are professional and take pride in working on Vipers. Some of us are furtunate enough to work only on Vipers.(Dan Cragin, Chris Jensens,Eddie Martin,Tom @ Woodies,etc.) Must not be that way in Jersey. It's a shame there are no good ones there to serve you.Have a nice weekend.dj

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,

Fortunately I will not need anyone to do any wrenching for me. Even if something was under warranty, I'd rather do the work myself. Just like when I had new side sills under warranty, I took the old ones off, signed a waiver and put the new ones on. Nobody touches the car period. Well...after experiencing Doug Levin and his shop, I'd definitely let him touch my car other than myself because he is a class act.

Up here in NJ I people are different. I'd venture to say that most dealer mechanics hate their jobs. Maybe some techs in high end shops like Cragin who deals with alot of Vipers, etc are different. Doing warranty work on Neons and Voyagers and 15 year old K-cars all day gets boring after a while. Humdrum...

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have to defend NJ techs! As is the case in all states, there are "Viper friendly" dealers, and others....that's where your VCA Officers come in. Just give any officer a call, and they'll always be able to give you a recommended list of "friendly" dealers that truly respect, and enjoy their work.

...and by the way...doesn't Frank live in PA?

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I have to say that I'm not taking anything away from the craftspersons that build the Viper engines at mound road. I've been there and watched and can tell you that they do the best with what they have to work with. I will also tell you that they have 48 minutes to build an engine. If someone ahead of them drops the ball and doesn't inspect one of the parts properly that they are installing it could create a real problem. They aren't given the time to inspect throughly they just assemble and have to assume that the parts they have are perfect. I have never been to arrow's facility but I do know I have yet to hear a complaint about one of their rebuilds. Personally I would rather have a craftsman that has a little extra time assembling an engine for my car, given the choice.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon I don't disagree with you on forged if they came that way,all I was saying is there not putting race parts in the motor.
And I also know you didn't say it would be faster but alot of posts in the past said stuff like don't worry your car will be better and faster and I just dont agree at all.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
luvdaviper I wasn't saying I wouldn't buy a rebuilt motor car at all, I definately would, but someone posted that it was better and worth more which I do disagree with. But if I like a car I am going to buy it period I just said I prefer one that has had no work done to it. Guys like me that modify them expect to have to occasionally fix them, but as you pointed out even stock ones break.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will be at englishtown frank jun 1, and jon that may work for you and you may beleive it I don't, and I hardly call replaceing head gaskets a rebuild thats a joke,and if you think they start putting in forged pistons and carillo rods etc just because they change head gaskets I think your mistaken. Also I am wondering where does all this extra horse come from just by replacing stock parts I know guys who have trouble getting horse from hipo parts. Jon I am not busting your balls just expressing my difference of opinion. I consider head gaskets out of the ordinary maintenence,and a rebuild metal parts pistons, rings etc.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about a thing at this point. When you seek coolant drops on the floor or smell it when driving or seeing whit smoke from the exhaust your head gaskets will need to be changed out. If it ain't broken, don't fix it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery