Audio System update Gen 2 GTS

Stephen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guy's and best wishes to all of you, I am tinking about updating the audio system in my 2000 GTS, I want to keep the original Alpine radio, changing the front speakers and rear hoofers for better ones and maybe a new amplifier. I wish to keep the set up as original looking as possible. I would appreciate any comments or help on this matter

P.S.I am a french Canadian and have been visiting this forum for many months, I have been praticing my writing in english , today is my first official post hope my writing is not to bad..

Thanks
Stephen

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Stephen, hell you write better than 80% of the guys on here. :) I don't know anything about the sound system in my car. I never have it on!!!!! The sounds the car makes when I am driving it is better than any music I know of.

:2tu:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi guy's and best wishes to all of you, I am tinking about updating the audio system in my 2000 GTS, I want to keep the original Alpine radio, changing the front speakers and rear hoofers for better ones and maybe a new amplifier. I wish to keep the set up as original looking as possible. I would appreciate any comments or help on this matter
In my opinion, the head unit (the Alpine radio/CD player/etc) is the weakest part of the system - replacing the head unit while keeping all of the other components stock increased the sound quality quite a bit. (I put a Pioneer AVIC-N1 in mine as its a navigation/CD/MP3/DVD/radio system - the AVIC-N1 is no longer sold, but I hear there is an AVIC-N2 or N3 now available).

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it all depends on what you want to spend.

the head unit i dont think is all that bad. i noticed a big difference by simply disconnecting the rear speakers, and replacing the stock paper front speakers with some much higher-quality pieces.

the sky is the limit after that depending on the size of your wallet.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
it all depends on what you want to spend.

the head unit i dont think is all that bad. i noticed a big difference by simply disconnecting the rear speakers, and replacing the stock paper front speakers with some much higher-quality pieces.

the sky is the limit after that depending on the size of your wallet.

True on all counts - I'm not saying the head unit is crap, but I did feel the sound was significantly improved with the new head unit. However, I also noted an improvement when replacing the rear speaker/woofer (RT/10) with a JLAudio woofer, when my original speaker blew out earlier this year. And, the improvement was commensurate with the money spent - the new head unit was around $1700, while the new woofer was less than $110.

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what's in a 2000 GTS, but I'm in the process of upgrading the entire system in my 94 RT/10. Here's what I've chosen:
Alpine CDA-9856
JL Audio 6W0's in the rear
JL Audio XR 650-Csi components up front
and a JL Audio 300/4 amplifier powering the whole thing.

I used to tinker in car audio when I was a teen and found that almost all stock components are horrible for good audio. The OEM's use the cheapest paper speakers and low quality amplifiers. Unfortunately, the Viper is not much different. Don't be fooled but the brand name Apline components, because they are speacial cheapened products made specifically for the OEM. Fortunately, the Viper has a 1 DIN radio , so replacements don't upset the stock look very much. The stock amps in my vehicle are probably 30 watts peak, which will be replaced with 75 clean RMS watts in my new set-up. This will greatly increase the amount of power that is fed to the speakers which will increase the sound quality exponentially.

FYI, my upgrade will cost approx. $1200.00, installed myself.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head unit makes a big difference in how it sounds. The stock head unit is calibrated with the factory EQ and of course it sounds like crap. If you get an aftermarket head unit it will sound much better since the EQ is adjustable and it is not constrained by the stock setting. If you do a search this has been discussed many times before. The rear speakers in a GTS are basically useless. It fires into the trunk so none of the high frequencies get into the cabin. The only thing that would make any difference is if you changed them to the JLA 6" subwoofer. I believe it's a 6W0.

The only benefit to keep the stock head unit would be the speed sensitive feature. Other than that it's junk.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wrote a couple threads on speaker upgrades (Hertz speakers). I have a GTS so there may be a higher quality because of the cabin, speaker placement, etc. I found that changing my Head unit made NO difference at all. I put a "door system" in with an active crossover and it made a huge difference, expecially when I added the upgrade Hertz woofers in the rear. All speakers were slightly larger, but I fir them in without too much problem. Do some searching and you'll find my thread.

Ted