Automatics vs. Traction Control

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess the fact of the matter for now is that traction control IS NOT illegal in ANY V10 Nationals class as of now. So for those that don't have it, I suggest that you get it. According to Kevin at UGR, by the tinme the Supra race in Texas is here both of Roof's cars as well as Brian's car will be AEM equipped. Therefore all of these cars will be equipped with traction control. Whether they decide to use it, or can figure out how remains to be seen. Roof's tuner was present in Florida, was there any reason in particular why they did not use their traction control, or were they using it? By the way, are any of the concerned parties planning on actually driving a car in an upcoming event?

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realize that the only thing traction control does is reduce power, right? So what part of reducing power would make Boggs' car pick up the 18 mph necessary to run like Chad's? Boggs' car also has an AEM EMS as does Brian Anderson's car now, as does JKRACER's car, as do several other cars in that class. That being said, maybe others should get to figuring it out.

I don't have AEM on yet!

I suppose that you don't have nitrous yet either?

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You do realize that the only thing traction control does is reduce power, right? So what part of reducing power would make Boggs' car pick up the 18 mph necessary to run like Chad's? Boggs' car also has an AEM EMS as does Brian Anderson's car now, as does JKRACER's car, as do several other cars in that class. That being said, maybe others should get to figuring it out.

I don't have AEM on yet!

I suppose that you don't have nitrous yet either?

Not yet! But I'm gonna see what Kevin can put together.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I know that guy. :laugh:

I tell you what, Brian. And this is not a dig. You prove that you can handle a big power car and run some good, consistent numbers and we can switch cars for a couple passes. You can pick if the traction control is on or off. I've got no problem with that.

Agreed! :D

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny, because when I was on the phone with Kevin late last week, he told me that the car has already had the nitrous installed as well as an AEM. He then went on to tell me that the car was ******* the dyno and that he wanted to get the updated software because you wanted to see what the actual numbers were. I smell B.S. here, I'm just not sure where it's coming from.

Shelby3, I did some checking around and while I did find that most sanctioning bodies don't allow traction control, they won't allow multiple power adders either. So is it fair that we should have to run a single power adder car like Chad's against a blower, nitrous, water, methanol car? Take it easy Brian, I'm not referring to you.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny, because when I was on the phone with Kevin late last week, he told me that the car has already had the nitrous installed as well as an AEM. He then went on to tell me that the car was ******* the dyno and that he wanted to get the updated software because you wanted to see what the actual numbers were. I smell B.S. here, I'm just not sure where it's coming from.

Shelby3, I did some checking around and while I did find that most sanctioning bodies don't allow traction control, they won't allow multiple power adders either. So is it fair that we should have to run a single power adder car like Chad's against a blower, nitrous, water, methanol car? Take it easy Brian, I'm not referring to you.

You never know.
Always gotta keep you guessing Jason. You and THE CHAD should have nothing to worry about though it's just a blower car :D

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jason, Go back and read my original question. I am trying to understand the logic that has long regarded an automatic transmission as a unfair advantage if competing against a six speed and traction control in your view is not. To me they seem to be in the same category as driver aids in controlling the car whether mechanical or electronic. :usa:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jason, Go back and read my original question. I am trying to understand the logic that has long regarded an automatic transmission as a unfair advantage if competing against a six speed and traction control in your view is not. To me they seem to be in the same category as driver aids in controlling the car whether mechanical or electronic. :usa:

Exactly! Jason quit sniffing Chad's turbo exhaust and read the original post. No one is knocking your product/work. You did a fine job with Chad's unlimited budget. My hats off to the both of you. I always knew them Yellow cars were faster. ;)

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(1) There must be someone out there who can explain the prevailing attitude regarding traction control cars and the V-10 Nationals.

(2) If you think they should be in the same class with other six speeds without it, I'm interested in your logic.

(3) I'm trying to configure a car to compete and would like to know where this issue is going. Anyone? :usa:

(1) Contact Dr. Roof, Dave Boggs. It's his gig and ultimately he makes the calls.

(2) I don't think they fall into the same class either, but what else can you add besides traction control that also shouldn’t be used?
It always seems to end up that someone has something that's better engineered over the second place finisher, or at least that's what many people focus on when they lose. Nobody in this series will run the same combination in the same class and you can't police it because you don't have the officials/organization strength to do so. Traction control isn’t the ultimate difference in the combination anyway. There’s a more complex puzzle than just traction control that can determine why someone has the advantage: Lots of $$$, boost control, more power to deliver, better driveline, gearing and tire selection, reactions, more competitive spirit, quicker shifting and on and on.

(3) Racing is synonymous with $$$$ and if you’re looking to compete in the V10 Nats at a level that’s close to unlimited then you need to plan on a high budget in order to finish 1,2,3. Can you incorporate traction and boost control into what you’re configuring for the V10 Nats? AEM? VEC2? Or the one that nobody has utilized yet in Viper Drag racing: MOTEC. (except for the SVS shop TT) ;)

More than likely the T/C issue is going nowhere.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shut it Jr. Traction control is the silver bullet and you know it! What else could explain the ass whippins? I know it WAS the tranny but after half a dozen frantic purchases, that has been disproved, so obviously it is the traction control.

As for the V-10 Nats, I suggest we stop all the bickering. Let's start a brand new class and allow absolutely everything as long as it has a clutch shifted 6-speed and IRS. I'm talking absolutely anything goes. And we could call it.....drum roll please.....

UNLIMITED.

OP
OP
S

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shut it Jr. Traction control is the silver bullet and you know it! What else could explain the ass whippins? I know it WAS the tranny but after half a dozen frantic purchases, that has been disproved, so obviously it is the traction control.

As for the V-10 Nats, I suggest we stop all the bickering. Let's start a brand new class and allow absolutely everything as long as it has a clutch shifted 6-speed and IRS. I'm talking absolutely anything goes. And we could call it.....drum roll please.....

UNLIMITED.

Right back to the original question. Why no automatic transmissions but TC is ok? Also this is not bickering. Look at it this way, it gives you a perfect venue to talk about your car. :D

Point of clarification - I'm not naive enough to think my car is a candidate for the unlimited class. :smirk: :usa:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it fair that we should have to run a single power adder car like Chad's against a blower, nitrous, water, methanol car? Take it easy Brian, I'm not referring to you.

Hey beeotch.....why pick on the stock 45,000 mile motor with $8000 in mods ???

p.s. answer my e-mail....at least tell me to get fkd :eek:

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is it fair that we should have to run a single power adder car like Chad's against a blower, nitrous, water, methanol car? Take it easy Brian, I'm not referring to you.

Hey beeotch.....why pick on the stock 45,000 mile motor with $8000 in mods ???

p.s. answer my e-mail....at least tell me to get fkd :eek:

LoL! Tony has us all beat in bang for the buck or fastest car for the money. :D :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21