Automobile magazine Poo Poo"s the new Coupe.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Automobile magazine Poo Poo\"s the new Coupe.

The Nov. issue of Automobile magazine just out, compares the new ZO6 vs Ford GT vs Viper. (all three are on the cover) The editors mostly favor the ZO6 or the GT but have many complaints about the new Coupe. The comparison tests were done recently at Gingerman Raceway and the Viper was the slowest in 0-60, quarter mile and top end, and slowest of best lap time ! The following are direct quotes THE EDITORS made. " At Gingerman the Viper is the slowest(!)of the three but the easiest to drive fast. The GT has the best gearshift of the three, as precise and light and fast as the Viper"s is slow and clunky. After three days, almost 1200 miles, and five states, we reckon that these are Americas greatest cars-and that two of them, the GT and the Corvette, are among the worlds best cars. The Viper concept looks a little dated now, but is still a rambunctious beast. All of us really like it, but it isn"t even the favorite of our Mopar diehard, assistant editor Rusty Blackwell. The ZO6 is the most useable of our three and also the least distinctive. It is also an incrdible bargain, even faster and cheaper than the Viper." Maybe future tests will be more favorable.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Automobile magazine Poo Poo

The viper needs to be faster and better looking. Only then will it have a chance.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The viper needs to be faster and better looking . Only then will it have a chance.

i think the new coupe looks bad ass. only thing bad (compared to z06)is the performance in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. make it (at least) 550 hp, less weight, then it will be perfect. :cool:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Automobile magazine Poo Poo\"s the new Coupe.

if you go to the corvette form they have a video of the test. nice video of all
three. the viper coupe continues to be slowest of the three with many different
sources doing test, its sad but true. funny thing is it could turn out to be the
best thing that has happen to the viper for some time. if dodge were to leave it
the way it is the viper would be done, i dont see that happening. IMHO we are
going to see the wildest/fastest viper ever, i will take bets now. i am so sure
of it i plan to place a deposit on a genIV with a dealer who will honor the deal.
i want to be first on the new beast to come. i will not be selling my gen II for
it but i will get a gen IV. that my friends WILL be my next viper. :2tu:

on a side note i would never want to be viperless. the car is just so much more
then just a car. the vca makes it more fun (at times :D ) and the people who
i have met and became friends with is priceless to me. i dont know of many clubs
that do the things we do and how much passion we have for the car. when i see
the post of gen I/II fighting with gen III i see passion. i never had any idea
even when i purchased my first viper what was in store for me. my point when i
bought a viper i got a whole lot more then just a ********** car. :2tu:

tom ( no i'm not smoking a cigarette with no name on it :D ) thought i would
say something positive. :headbang:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just spent a fantastic day with 25 ViperClub members, cruising at speed along the back country roads of San Diego. This was an incredible experience. When we entered Idelwyld the town came to a stop. Especially the Harley guys gave us huge thumbs up.

This is a routine experience of many of us in the ViperNation, and will never show up in a auto evaluation. Other cars may also be fast, but the ViperNation Experience is unique.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Just spent a fantastic day with 25 ViperClub members, cruising at speed along the back country roads of San Diego. This was an incredible experience. When we entered Idelwyld the town came to a stop. Especially the Harley guys gave us huge thumbs up.

This is a routine experience of many of us in the ViperNation, and will never show up in a auto evaluation. Other cars may also be fast, but the ViperNation Experience is unique.

Sounds like sloppy seconds to me....we're not as good a performance car, however, we have a unique experience. WE NEED THE 4 "AMERICAN" HORSEMEN BACK!!! DC ***** and GERMAN MB will always be their only concern and top performance GERMAN cars. DC is not AMERICAN!!!

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like sloppy seconds to me....we're not as good a performance car, however, we have a unique experience. WE NEED THE 4 "AMERICAN" HORSEMEN BACK!!! DC ***** and GERMAN MB will always be their only concern and top performance GERMAN cars. DC is not AMERICAN!!!
Could not agree more DEVILDOG !!

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I wonder haw a supercharged viper would do against the Z06? DC could just buy a bunch of Paxtons.

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Removing weight is just as important as adding HP.

I would rather see the Viper only gain 50HP and lose 350lbs.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wonder haw a supercharged viper would do against the Z06? DC could just buy a bunch of Paxtons.
Wait until you see (if possible) the owners of the new ZO6 put a super charger on their beast. Please, no bolt ons for comparison.

wbexxon

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I was joking, I was considering a Z06 actually tried to find one. I couldnt find one of the Z06 Vettes but the salesman was trying to push a regular vette on me. Then I thought I would stick to the original plan and buy the Viper from Woodhouse. For me the viper with the Paxton is plenty fast for now.

Sleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Automobile magazine has some video of this comparo on their website. If you view it, you will see the ZO-6 and FGT pushed harder in exiting some corners, engaging the electronic yaw or traction control systems. In contrast, the driver seems more tepid with the Viper, even in the straights.

I simply wonder if the driver (for the timed laps) had sufficient seat time to get the best out of the Viper.

Right now it's just too politically incorrect to gush about the Viper. Deal with it.

And in the mean time make sure that your Viper is adequately prepared to kick some ass. Thank you.

TD

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For my first post I will throw out what I think is a simple solution, and relatively low cost. As a performance boater I can tell you that Ilmor has been using Viper motors for ~2-3 yrs now . They make a 550hp and 625 hp version. I believe the mods are very miner, possibly a new cam that is needed for marine application and computer work. Why can't this technology be available to us now? 625hp would be nice.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What did people really expect? They take the roadster (which looks great) and basically slap a hard top on. Big deal. It was a bandaid approach meant to sooth some of the more vocal who could not accept progress with the vert :mad:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For my first post I will throw out what I think is a simple solution, and relatively low cost. As a performance boater I can tell you that Ilmor has been using Viper motors for ~2-3 yrs now . They make a 550hp and 625 hp version. I believe the mods are very miner, possibly a new cam that is needed for marine application and computer work. Why can't this technology be available to us now? 625hp would be nice.
Marine engines have an advantage because they use the limitless outside water to cool the engine so they can run hotter cams etc. That being said, an aftermarket tuner has already gotten 750 hp and 800 ft/lbs torque on the Apex Lethal 750 maybe 4-5 years ago on just the motor. The technology is availible in the aftermarket if you know where to look and to pay for it.

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Marine engines have an advantage because they use the limitless outside water to cool the engine so they can run hotter cams etc. That being said, an aftermarket tuner has already gotten 750 hp and 800 ft/lbs torque on the Apex Lethal 750 maybe 4-5 years ago on just the motor. The technology is availible in the aftermarket if you know where to look and to pay for it.
I would agree with you on some marine aplications, but in this system and most production motors now, they have a closed cooling heat exchange system that is similiar to a radiator+they run higher temps. My boat motor(650hp)is a flow through system and runs very cold. If I am correct, most of that extra HP comes from computer mods. The cam change is to change the lope and duration so there isn't water reversion. My .02

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i agree 100% :2tu: