Ballpark idea of my car's ET

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a little friendly smack talking from my chevy buddies. He has an ls1 camaro with heads and cam,headers,throttle body,drag radials,bla bla bla. I need an idea of what my car will run. It is an '06 Coupe with Mopar 3 inch catless race exhaust,Mopar pcm and Mopar high flow air filters. It has Michelin 20 inch ps2's on the rear. Anybody have an idea? It will be at Gulfport Dragway which is very close to sea level on the second weekend of October during Cruisin the Coast. I will have my '67 Coronet there for backup if needed:D:drive:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum is much nicer than I am.

Considering you probably have never drag raced on a track before and the mods on your car will hardly add any hp above factory and you have 20 inch wheels on the car which does nothing but make you slower. My guess is 13.1 your first trip to the track, and mid 12's once you get better.

And to settle your smack with your buddy, yes he will beat you like a red headed step child.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 20 inch rear setup is not necessarily a detriment to performance. My HRE Pirelli setup is 7lbs lighter on each corner than the stock setup in the rear. As for power there is definitely some horse power and torque improvement with that setup especially the PCM. You will likely 15hp to the wheels with the tune and roughly 15-20 lbs of torque improvement. But the most important improvement of the PCM is in the mid range where is smooths out the dip in torque and HP. You will gain roughy 30hp and 30lbs of torque in the mid range. It is definitely a seat of the pants improvement since I have done it done myself.

Now as for ETs i would say high 11's are possible for the setup but that is contingent on getting the power to the ground and keeping it there.

Considering you probably have never drag raced on a track before and the mods on your car will hardly add any hp above factory and you have 20 inch wheels on the car which does nothing but make you slower. My guess is 13.1 your first trip to the track, and mid 12's once you get better.

And to settle your smack with your buddy, yes he will beat you like a red headed step child.

oufan2929

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can get your 60ft. in the mid 1.X's, you'll easily run around 11.5... I've gone 11.8 on a bone stock "03 car using PS2's. However most guys seem to have a hard time getting in to the 1.X's period their first time out. Practice/driver mod is the key

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whish you the best but doubt you will break into the 11's IF you never dragged before. By the way, hope for a coolish day 60-68 degrees.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must not know Mopower. He's no stranger to the track. I believe he runs low 10s in his Coronet.

I don't believe the 20s will hold him back if the track is well prepped. I predict a low to mid 11 sec pass.:headbang:

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must not know Mopower. He's no stranger to the track. I believe he runs low 10s in his Coronet.

I don't believe the 20s will hold him back if the track is well prepped. I predict a low to mid 11 sec pass.:headbang:
I think if you get into the 11's at all you should be pleased, 11's aren't as easy as people think.

Alexarz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Gen 3,4 Vipers are lacking in low end power and have very inappropriate gearing for drag racing. Lots of other cars with far less power can whoop a Viper in the 1/4 mile. What makes Jamie "*** Wee" Furman so admirable is that he also races road courses. I fully expect that I could drop any Viper since Gen 2 deep into the 11's without a sweat. Then again, I raced pro motocross a few years back and flipping a few gears and keeping a 10 cylinder in the meat of the powerband is child's play for a pseudo hero like myself. Did I get a chance to tell you how much of a ladies man I am??

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Considering you do not know me I will fill you in. My first drag strip passes were in 1979 when I took my brand new 1979 Dodge Lil'Red Express to the track and ran 15.20's @ 91 mph. I had over 600 passes on a 69 Road Runner that ran 10.30's back in 1995. My SRT 10 ram ran 13.41 @ 106 mph at this same event 2 years ago. It was 1500 pounds heavier with basically the same bolt on's. I presently have a pump gas 501 cubic inch '67 Coronet that run's 10.20's @ 129 mph on drag radials and mufflers.It has been in Hot Rod Magazines' Pump Gas Drags '08 and two Pinks All Out races. Over the years I have raced at Memphis,Dallas,Baton Rouge,Belle Rose,Columbus,Oh.,Indy,Gulfport,Green Valley in Ft Worth(closed now),and a track around Chelsea,Mi.at the 85 Mopar Nationals. My estimate after a couple of passes is 11.90 - 12.10ish. Heck my 18 year olds small block Duster runs 12.40's @ 109 mph.

Picture of Coronet in May at Memphis.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low 11s with minor bolts in a Gen 3 on stock tires is never going to happen (the record for a Gen 3 with minor bolt ons is mid 11s) To put it in perspective only a handful of Gen 4s(making 550 to the tire )have run low 11s.Vipers are not good drag racing cars as their ET NEVER approach what MPH their trap speeds indicated they should run.If you break into the 11s considering your minor mods ect be happy.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering you do not know me I will fill you in. My first drag strip passes were in 1979 when I took my brand new 1979 Dodge Lil'Red Express to the track and ran 15.20's @ 91 mph. I had over 600 passes on a 69 Road Runner that ran 10.30's back in 1995. My SRT 10 ram ran 13.41 @ 106 mph at this same event 2 years ago. It was 1500 pounds heavier with basically the same bolt on's. I presently have a pump gas 501 cubic inch '67 Coronet that run's 10.20's @ 129 mph on drag radials and mufflers.It has been in Hot Rod Magazines' Pump Gas Drags '08 and two Pinks All Out races. Over the years I have raced at Memphis,Dallas,Baton Rouge,Belle Rose,Columbus,Oh.,Indy,Gulfport,Green Valley in Ft Worth(closed now),and a track around Chelsea,Mi.at the 85 Mopar Nationals. My estimate after a couple of passes is 11.90 - 12.10ish. Heck my 18 year olds small block Duster runs 12.40's @ 109 mph.

You need a motorcycle license to drive on 2 wheels?:cool:

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best I got with a K&N intake, cat backs, high flow cats, and throttle body was 11.9 with stock run flats. My car dynoed at 490rwhp with that combo and I do have track experience.

Traction at the line is going to be tough with 20's you might have more rwhp than your buddy but.... If you get into the mid 11's your doing good with your setup. He should be there depending on how his car is tuned, the LS1 has a lot of potential. With his parts he might be close to your HP level but shy on torque. Traction and gearing will be the key (does he have an auto).

Good luck :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.5 best, more likely 11.7-11.8 with practice and a good run. Let us know how it goes. I had a grudge match with a chevy guy. He had a 1999 camaro with cam/exhaust/intake, yada, yada, yada. I had my first 1996 RT. I did a 12.1 to his 11.98. I ended up beating at the start line even though he had a faster time than me :2tu:

make sure to heat up those 20's real good ;)

Last edited:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Considering you have some track experience.

With your mods and the 20" wheels 12.6, after some practice runs, put on some good tires and high 11's. Put on slicks like your old timer there and low 11's after practice.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With your mods and experience 11.8-12.0 is very possible. Lots of practice = mid 11's.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good luck spanking the GM. doesn't sound like the Camaro has enough to catch yah. Owning a 10 sec 440 duster My best wishes go with yah. Experience should cut you mid 11s. Let us know how it turns out. Get some drag radials before Sept.

Course if the Camaro is running stock tires (like you are) he'd better have nitrous if he hopes to get lower than high 12s with 215s? Your 345s should show the advantage of running 13" wide tires compared to Camaro 6 or 7" tires.

Ted

Blackhawk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although there is not enough info on the LS1, you will probably have a good race on your hands if they are also a seasoned driver. Is the f-body a stick or an auto? Converter? Now, there are also plenty of f-bodies rolling around with those mods that would run 15s :( due to the driver.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
335/30/20 ps2 (if this is what you are running) is even taller than the stock viper tires so you have a larger foot print and a similar sidewall profile.

Your combo is good for mid/high 11's on a nice day with a pretty good driver.

If your buddies heads/cam LS1 was done right it will be a close race

OP
OP
M

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Although there is not enough info on the LS1, you will probably have a good race on your hands if they are also a seasoned driver. Is the f-body a stick or an auto? Converter? Now, there are also plenty of f-bodies rolling around with those mods that would run 15s :( due to the driver.

It is an automatic and he does have a convertor. It is probably a high to mid 11 car. I will have to be on my game in the 60 foot. Best I ever got in the RAM was a 2.01 when it ran the 13.41. But it weighed 5350 with me in it.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My best time so far this year is 11.88 with a 1.48 60' This was my first time below 12.0
MT Drag radials @ 12lbs, K&N, DC mail in ECM tune, Corsa stock cats, x-Metal TB and wires and IR plugs. It's not easy to get into the 11' second range. No matter, it's really about learning how to get the most out of driving it.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.48 sixty foot is awesome, though I would have thought you would've had a lower elapsed time.....hot day? What was the mph?

I know of a a few heads/cam LS1 cars with converters that pull low 11's on dr's....If the car is set up well it's almost easy to get a nice time out of a set up like that.

Went to the track a few years ago before the paxton and other crazyness....

I managed an 11.9 @ 124 with a 2.0 sixtyfoot same mods as MOPOWER minus the tune. Went through the lights in 3rd.....I'm not too good at the launch :eek:

Mike R made a few 11 second passes with his best being an 11.6 @ 122 with a 1.8x sixty foot. Same mods as MOPWER minus the ps2's and tune...he had stock sidewinder wheels with runflats. Weather was nice, temp was about 70 degrees and I don't think they prep the track at sacramento raceway.

post up the results of your race:2tu:

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My speed was 121mph. I think it's all about the 3.73 gears. and the MT tires. It was cool that day at Infineion in early June Mopar day north of the bay races and show. It was like hitting a baseball with the sweet spot of the bat. It just went off well from the line. I was running 15 lbs and it just didn't get what I was hoping for I talked to the MT rep there that day and he told me take the tires to 12Lbs. I did and much better launch. I am currently changing my diff to the OS Giken with 3.55 gears. I hope this is a good choice. I think I might be able to do a bit better since I an at the top of 4th at the end of the run. Maybe a bit past the sweet spot of the engine. Should be here soon.

1.48 sixty foot is awesome, though I would have thought you would've had a lower elapsed time.....hot day? What was the mph?

I know of a a few heads/cam LS1 cars with converters that pull low 11's on dr's....If the car is set up well it's almost easy to get a nice time out of a set up like that.

Went to the track a few years ago before the paxton and other crazyness....

I managed an 11.9 @ 124 with a 2.0 sixtyfoot same mods as MOPOWER minus the tune. Went through the lights in 3rd.....I'm not too good at the launch :eek:

Mike R made a few 11 second passes with his best being an 11.6 @ 122 with a 1.8x sixty foot. Same mods as MOPWER minus the ps2's and tune...he had stock sidewinder wheels with runflats. Weather was nice, temp was about 70 degrees and I don't think they prep the track at sacramento raceway.

post up the results of your race:2tu:

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
11.87 @120

05 with K&N, Corsa, RT Cats, Mopar ECM
weather was 78 degrees 74% humid and ok Track prep, DA around 1700, pulled a 1.89 60ft on stock PS2 tires