My math says an average driver should run 10's in an '08 with good traction

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am an average driver at best but have run 500 plus passes in various cars over the years. My accountant/CPA logic follows with some real life examples to bridge my '08 to 10.90's this fall at MIR in Maryland.

My 2001 LS1 camaro SS with stock F1 goodyears, aftermarket muffler, K&N and Hypertech tune ran 13.29 at 107 mph at MIR. Stock HP was 310 I believe. I assume the mods gave me 30 HP at most for 340 HP +/-. I believe my 60 ft was 2.0 +/-.

My 2002 GTS with stock Pilots, no muffler, smooth tubes and K&N's ran 12.30 at 116 mph at MIR. Car had severe wheel hop and 60 fts were 2.0 at the very best from what I recall. Stock HP was 450 and I assume the mods gave me 20 HP at most for 470 HP +/-.

My 1995 RT/10 with stock Michelins and K&N's ran 12.57 at 113 mph at MIR. Car had good traction (wife actually got this best time - hey, she is lighter than me by 70 lbs. - my excuse anyway) and 60 fts were in the low 1.90 range from what I recall (she did burnouts that made me cringe but it seemed to work for her 60 fts). Stock HP was 400 and I assume the K&N gave me 10 HP at most for 410 HP +/-.

My 2003 Mustang Cobra with drag radials and 415 RWHP (motor must have been just under 500HP) ran 11.95's at 122mph on 3 or 4 runs at VMP (NHRA track near Richmond) and Richmond Dragway. 60 fts were only low 1.80's due to severe wheel hop with those "junk" IRS rears. I actually sheared the stock halfshafts on my very first pass with the car at MIR in MD. Car went about 3 feet at launch and the IRS snapped on one side. Not good. Thank goodness we trailered the car from Richmond that day.

All of the above runs were made in cool spring or fall weather. I never waste my time running in hot weather since I am all about low ET and high MPH. I don't powershift, I often miss gears and am generally an average driver at best at the track.

Here is my logic based on the above. I believe the above cars in general have similar curb weights of at least 3,400 lbs plus me at 200 lbs (except my wife was probably 130 lbs at the time she ran the '95 RT/10). Given efficient 60 ft traction applying your power, I had always heard that 100 engine HP (not RWHP) would net you 1 full second in the 1/4 mile in a car around 3,200 lbs +/-. My '02 GTS ran 1 second quicker than my camaro with similar 60 ft times and roughly 130 HP extra. A bone stock '03 cobra was to run 12.90's according to magazines with 390 engine HP. My modified cobra had roughly 490 engine HP based on my dynojet RWHP of 415. My cobra ran roughly 1 second quicker than stock with a decent 60 ft time but not great 60 ft time and about 100 extra engine HP over a stock cobra. Seems like my '08 coupe with decent or great 60 ft times should run 1 second quicker than the 11.95's my cobra ran with 110 less HP than my viper.

Just my 2 cents. I'll give it a shot this fall when the weather is crisp and cool. If I get close, I may spring for Hoosiers or the like if I am real close but need a better 60 ft to make the difference.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you're WRONG !

an AVERAGE driver aint coming anywhere near 10's....sorry.
Plum could not have said it better.Last week Evan Smith ran my 08 at Englishtown and baselined, the car on a bad track weather day at a high 11.4 after only 2 runs..The difference between Smith(a professional) and an average driver is a laughable amount .If your talking totally stock 08s including tires the Smiths and Jamie Furmans (another excellent driver )may hit 10s now and then but average drivers they aint.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS to put it in perspective Smith or Furman can get a bone stock Gen 2 stock tires ,good track weather ect to run 11.6-11.7..Average drivers in these cars can not break into the 11s with alot running low 12s.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am an average driver at best but have run 500 plus passes in various cars over the years. My accountant/CPA logic follows with some real life examples to bridge my '08 to 10.90's this fall at MIR in Maryland.

My 2001 LS1 camaro SS with stock F1 goodyears, aftermarket muffler, K&N and Hypertech tune ran 13.29 at 107 mph at MIR. Stock HP was 310 I believe. I assume the mods gave me 30 HP at most for 340 HP +/-. I believe my 60 ft was 2.0 +/-.

My 2002 GTS with stock Pilots, no muffler, smooth tubes and K&N's ran 12.30 at 116 mph at MIR. Car had severe wheel hop and 60 fts were 2.0 at the very best from what I recall. Stock HP was 450 and I assume the mods gave me 20 HP at most for 470 HP +/-.

My 1995 RT/10 with stock Michelins and K&N's ran 12.57 at 113 mph at MIR. Car had good traction (wife actually got this best time - hey, she is lighter than me by 70 lbs. - my excuse anyway) and 60 fts were in the low 1.90 range from what I recall (she did burnouts that made me cringe but it seemed to work for her 60 fts). Stock HP was 400 and I assume the K&N gave me 10 HP at most for 410 HP +/-.

My 2003 Mustang Cobra with drag radials and 415 RWHP (motor must have been just under 500HP) ran 11.95's at 122mph on 3 or 4 runs at VMP (NHRA track near Richmond) and Richmond Dragway. 60 fts were only low 1.80's due to severe wheel hop with those "junk" IRS rears. I actually sheared the stock halfshafts on my very first pass with the car at MIR in MD. Car went about 3 feet at launch and the IRS snapped on one side. Not good. Thank goodness we trailered the car from Richmond that day.

All of the above runs were made in cool spring or fall weather. I never waste my time running in hot weather since I am all about low ET and high MPH. I don't powershift, I often miss gears and am generally an average driver at best at the track.

Here is my logic based on the above. I believe the above cars in general have similar curb weights of at least 3,400 lbs plus me at 200 lbs (except my wife was probably 130 lbs at the time she ran the '95 RT/10). Given efficient 60 ft traction applying your power, I had always heard that 100 engine HP (not RWHP) would net you 1 full second in the 1/4 mile in a car around 3,200 lbs +/-. My '02 GTS ran 1 second quicker than my camaro with similar 60 ft times and roughly 130 HP extra. A bone stock '03 cobra was to run 12.90's according to magazines with 390 engine HP. My modified cobra had roughly 490 engine HP based on my dynojet RWHP of 415. My cobra ran roughly 1 second quicker than stock with a decent 60 ft time but not great 60 ft time and about 100 extra engine HP over a stock cobra. Seems like my '08 coupe with decent or great 60 ft times should run 1 second quicker than the 11.95's my cobra ran with 110 less HP than my viper.

Just my 2 cents. I'll give it a shot this fall when the weather is crisp and cool. If I get close, I may spring for Hoosiers or the like if I am real close but need a better 60 ft to make the difference.

Well can't say I agree with your math on how you get to the tens but I do agree a good 60', say 1.8 or better 60' and a clean run should put the new Viper in the 10's.
Usually though its going to take a better than average driver to get that 60' in a Viper, but if you do it I think you will run it. I run MIR a lot in the spring and fall and the track is super fast at that time of year especially at track rentals which we do quite often that time of year. PM if you want to get together and we can take the Vipers out and see if we can do it and I believe it can be done!

Green Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have more hp (650+) and a little more weight than an 08, with normal tires the best I have been able to do is an 11.4, again I am an average driver (more of a road course guy) and don't power shift.

Before that I had a 3100 pound Cobra R with 360 hp, it did 12.9 best.

I have been told with drag race tires or a good drag racer it would be in the 10s, but so far I have a stack of 11 second timeslips at near sea level 85-90 degree weather.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My modded 96 trapped at 132 mph so it was stronger than my 08 and the best it ever ran on Pilots was 11.2.The car over a ten year period was driven by some of the best out there at Englishtown (very fast track )in all kinds of weather without one ten second run.(hundreds of runs between 11.2-11.5 but no 10s )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps-DWHITT it doesnot really have to do with the power the 08 is making (more than enough to run 10s )it is a traction issue on the stock tires (whick are not exactly optimized for drag racing ).To get that 1.8 or better 60 foot time on pilots you need a great driver on a nicely prepped (vht )track.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Plum could not have said it better.Last week Evan Smith ran my 08 at Englishtown and baselined, the car on a bad track weather day at a high 11.4 after only 2 runs..The difference between Smith(a professional) and an average driver is a laughable amount .If your talking totally stock 08s including tires the Smiths and Jamie Furmans (another excellent driver )may hit 10s now and then but average drivers they aint.

What did the 08 trap?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car had approx 200 miles on it and trapped around 127 mph running into a 10 mph headwind on a BAD WEATHER DAY TO MAKE POWER.

OP
OP
D

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If traction is the issue, a stock '08 w/ non-stock tires should get the job done. There is plenty of power to run 10's.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the engines broken in with the correct weather i dont think it is too far fetched to see 132 mph traps out of the 08s on fast tracks.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If traction is the issue, a stock '08 w/ non-stock tires should get the job done. There is plenty of power to run 10's.
It should, a good set of tires (depending up what your running )can be worth any where from 4-8 tenths of a second.I am sorry i thought the context of the post was totally stock -including tires .My fault.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, be sure to post here when you learn more about the track rental. I'm in and will bring my 06 Coupe, Paxton, Quaife 3.55, car.... We can stop at Johnny Boys' for a BBQ on the way back. LOL......

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, be sure to post here when you learn more about the track rental. I'm in and will bring my 06 Coupe, Paxton, Quaife 3.55, car.... We can stop at Johnny Boys' for a BBQ on the way back. LOL......

That sounds great, love Johnny boys! Keep your eyes peeled as I will post when the track rentals are going to be in case anyone else wants to go.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weather has been horrible for power up here (i figure to wait untill fall).Also to optimize all conditions its much better to go when the mag guys have a private track rental(track usually prepped to the max,all the time in the world to cool down with fans ,ice ect and no one there to bust balls over the roll bar issue in the roadster )Public test and tunes days are nightmares at Englishtown.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not buying it. I got 10s with 639 rwhp and drag radials in my gen 3 and in a stock gen 2 ACR (read stiff shocks) I pulled a 12 flat at 120. So I am certainly qualified to be called an average driver at worst.

10s with almost 100 less hp, I just dont see it by the average driver. Matter of fact, no one has posted anything near that 10.9 and plenty of 08 owners have hit the drag strip with theirs already. Are they all non-average drivers? aka Below average?

Nope, only EXTREMELY skilled drivers are going to pull that on anything other then a magical track.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm making similar power to the '08 models, but with regular, stock, Sport Pilot tires and (being an average driver) my best time so far is 11.6 @ 128MPH.:drive:
Besides some drivetrain and power delivery advances in the '08 model the key advantage that the new Viper has for standing start acceleration is the new grippier PS2 tires.

But there really is a big factor of added wheelspin when adding more horsepower with stock tires, even the PS2s. The trap speed of the new Vipers shows that they DO have the power needed to hit high 10s in the 1/4 mile. But the tricky part is getting enough traction. With cool weather, a skilled driver, good track prep, and drag radials or slicks, and I think that 10s are possible with an otherwise factory stock '08 Viper.

But I don't really consider any changes from factory specs as being stock, which includes tires.;)

But seeing that the quickest time from a magazine is already 11.5, I do see low 11s as possible with an expert driver under perfect conditions in a bone stock '08 Viper, which is VERY impressive to me, considering that it's a tiny group of (high priced) cars that can run mid-to-low 11s factory stock, and ALSO go around corners well too.

While it's an admirable goal to hit 10s, keep in mind that the Viper was designed to provide all-around, balanced performance, so enjoy the car and good luck.:2tu:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a really bad horsepower day (weather was 93 bad humidity )Evan Smith on my 08 Roadster ran a high 11.4 at 127 after two passes at Englishtown.(as the fall in NJ brings much better horsepower weather he will definately try again )Even with all the right factors in place (driver ,weather ,track )10s on stock Pilots it is going to be tough(though not impossible).To put it in perspective my old gts made 550 plus to the tire ,was driven by some of the best out there (Evan Smith,Jamie Furman,Darren Buhler )at Englishtown (very fast track )and the best it could do on Pilots was 11.2 at 132 mph.The car mades hundreds of runs between 11.2-11.4 but no 10s

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS will an average driver be able to do this on stock tires absolutely no way-not even close..(the guys i mentioned in my previous post are professional and or of professional ability)Will an average driver be able to run 10s with slicks or some type of drag radials within reach but still highly questionable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang