Banned by Lube Shop

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Three weeks after oil change, Frame still dripping. As soon as I pulled in to the shop he already had attitude and said "I new you would be back and I don't want to work on your f%^(*&ng car again".
I told him if he new how to change the oil I wouldn't be back,he said tell dodge how to design a car. We exchanged a few more words,they cleaned it properly and I left.
He used to change the oil on all my cars.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's the point of this thread? The viper is probably one if not the easiest oil changes of any car I've ever had! Do it yourself and quit going to these lube shops. There more trouble than there worth.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why get dirty? If you know how and have the equipment to change your own oil at least you know it's done right. No stripped out oil plug or loose filter etc.
I hate taking my vehicles in, I took my Chevy van in for a leaky oil cooler line and they said it was an over filled zerk/ball joint leaking onto the frame. I took it back 3 months later as the "ball joint" was still leaking oil and they replaced the lines AND the water pump. They said the oil had stuff that looked like anti freeze in it. I had just filled the washer fluid with rain x green stuff the day before and spilled it above the oil lines. The lines and pump were under warranty so I said go ahead. I could go on...

OP
OP
V

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong Dan Cragen is the only one to touch my car, this lube shop has been doing my oil for 5 years. He screwed up once and had major attitude.
that is the "point of this thread" nothing else.......calm down

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd just change it myself. Cheaper and done better then any lube place.
But this was a pointless thread, maybe if you said something like X lube shop dosen't know how to change the oil in my Viper and it's been dripping for 3 weeks. So i went back to X lube shop and they copped an attitude. Stay away from X lube shop etc etc.
Something like that, then we would have all come back and said probably same as above, "why not change your oil.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why get dirty?

Because I know how to change it and I care about my Viper.
I dont let grease monkeys EVER change oil on my Viper, EVER.
With the Lexus and Expedition, I dont care, they are just transportation devices.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i'll go one further rednuff,

i don't let them touch any of my cars!...a few years back a valvoline oil change place overfilled my front and rear diff in my explorer, which means they didn't even take the time to check if the oil was dripping out of the fill hole. they just pumped it in blindly and closed it off...needless to say my front and rear diff seals blew, and guess who told me they didn't do it!!! :rolleyes:

they told me to take it to the dealer, and if the dealer fixed it, blaming valvoline, they would pay for it...seven years later i'm still waitng on the $600 check from valvoline...screw all of them, most of those guys have little education, let alone knowledge to work on a vehicle like a viper...no way are they touching mine, even if they offered for free!!!! :2tu:

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine to a lube shop. I had my Vette up on stands a few times and it was a pain so I thought I would try the lube shop. I took my own oil in and filter and paid them $15.00 to drain it. The difference was they were falling over themselves to work on the Viper. They had never seen one before and all of the oil jockeys were sooooooo careful around my car. Plus I insisted on being underneath the car and going over everything myself. I made sure there wasnt a drop of oil spilled and I couldnt have kept things cleaner if it was me doing it. The nice part was having easy access to the whole underside of the car to inspect everything myself. It was a brand new quick lube place so it had lots of bright lights shining under the car so I could see everything clear as day. The oil change took 15 mins. It took another 15 or 20 mins after the oil change as I was surrounded by all the techs outside as they went over the Viper and asked all the typical questions. One guy went and changed in to his street clothes so he could sit in it...lol. Just another great day in the Viper.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took mine to a well-known Viper tech who insisted that a stock '99 takes 11 qts. of oil. I told him that the owners manual said 8.5 qts. but he said the manual was wrong. Then he went on to fill it with 11.5 qts!

GTSjbud

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a lube shop, Once...Never again!! When I took one of my cars in for an oil change what I noticed is that the staff/employees are kids. So I paid close attention to the process. I watched the kid below in the pit looking through an oil filter catalog and moving the pages back and forth trying to find the correct page. It was apparent that he had no idea how to use the reference catalog. They finished the oil change and when I was driving out of the building, I noticed that they had the wrong vehicle indicated on the receipt. I drove out and right around to the back to enter again. When I drove in the kid said, "weren't you just here?". At that point I lost it. I explained to him that he just put the wrong filter and quantity of oil in my vehicle because he didn't even identify the correct vehicle that I was driving. The kid didn't know what to say. Plus he really didn't care.

What I have noticed in general is that very few people pay attention to THE DETAILS. And details are everything!!!

So I do my own oil changes. I am therefore guaranteed that the right oil, quantity and filter will be installed. Plus I really enjoy taking care of my baby (Viper).

GTSjbud

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it is a easy car to do the change on, NOT TRUE. First you have to jack it up, if you do not have a lift or pit

Then the oil filter. It sits right over the frame and sideways. You need to stuff rags in there if you do not want oil everywhere.

Sorry my Hemi Ram is easy, the Viper is a pain.

Oh and I agree, do the oil yourself even though it is a pain. Most of us have downtime in the winter, get bored, go out to the garage and do it. Then you know it is done right, with the right products and no one else is driving your car.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it is a easy car to do the change on, NOT TRUE.
Then the oil filter. It sits right over the frame and sideways. You need to stuff rags in there if you do not want oil everywhere.

Not that bad. Buy heavy duty aluminium foil (or steal from your wife's kitchen)... Double/triple fold the foil into a flat form. Put it on top of the framerail and form it so it funnels the oil down into one spot, your tray. NO oil on framerails, not even if the filter spills. After oilchange, just throw it away.

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rednuff,

someone on here also said to use a large ziploc bag to catch the filter in, when you loosen it off, and the oil will go in there...seems like a good idea...i think i'm going to try that next time

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rednuff,

someone on here also said to use a large ziploc bag to catch the filter in, when you loosen it off, and the oil will go in there...seems like a good idea...i think i'm going to try that next time

What about the oil that drips out of the oil filter adapter.... it always starts dripping before the oil filter is all the way off....

Riddle me that Batman! :bonker:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I bought my Viper, I had the oil in my Eclipse changed at a Tires Plus. They drained the transmission fluid instead of the oil. So I ended up with double too much oil and no tranny fluid. Ofcourse they denied it, but a letter from the Mitsubishi dealership and a call to the corporate offices finally got them to cover the repairs (~$300 if I recall correctly). If places like that can screw up a 4 cylinder import, God only knows what they can do to a Viper. I now have a low profile jack and change the oil in all my cars :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had two "quick lube" experiences.

1. i asked the tech not to sit in my car since the interior color in my magnum happens to be a cream color and he had "soil" marks all over his shirt. i told him that i would drive the car in and out, and start it if needed. i quickly received "the look", and soon found his dirty asp in my car. my seat was soiled as i anticipated. i exploded of course, and spent an hour cleaning my car when i got home.

2. this time the idiots for got to tighten the oil pan drain plug. i was driving later that day and suddenly found my oil light on. i knew what happened right away. i pulled over, and sure enough, found no oil on the dipstick. after refilling my car of oil, i went back to the shop to find a nice trail of oil all the way out the parking lot and onto the expressway.

needless to say, there will not be a third visit to any of these "quick lube" shops for me. the people that work the bays dont know what they are doing and i have gotten tired of them trying to sell me a new air filter that they tell me is somehow better than the one i just put in last week. :rolleyes:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in my automotive dealership days, I can remember at least 3 seperate instances where the techs either forgot to add new oil in or didnt tighten the oil pan plug :eek: The dealership was Macon Mitsubishi. Moral of this story: DO NOT TRUST A DEALERSHIP (unless his name is Tator, Woodhouse, etc :) )OR QUICK LUBE PLACE. DO IT YOURSELF!

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What about the oil that drips out of the oil filter adapter.... it always starts dripping before the oil filter is all the way off....

Riddle me that Batman! :bonker:

hey mccall, i would figure you would be smart enough to use a freezer bag big enough to cover the entire section to catch the oil that drips. seems pretty logical too me. :bonker:

But if you want to stick to your sandwich bags, let the oil drip on your head then :hitfan:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do my own oil and brakes if needed. At first I only did oil because it was cheaper and easy. I started doing brakes after a certain mechanic named Shane at Monroe Muffler stole my money. He rigged my brakes and charged me. :evilmad:

Within 1 week in the snow I had brake failure and ended up hopping a curb in my 1995 Mustang. I went to a different Monroe Muffler location saying my brakes needed replacing. They looked over the car and gave me a list of things they would do. I showed them the receipt Shane printed out and they asked me why I didn't show them first. I explained to them I was stolen from and in the end, they fully did my brakes and implied Shane was disciplined when I asked.

Unless my car is under warranty, I try to do as much as possible.