Battery Help on an 00 RT10 - Help needed

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Andrew (Andrew2KRT10). He's having some battery problems with his 2000 RT10. In the last year he has replaced the battery twice. Right now the car won't turn over, the door locks are dead - the whole car is dead. Has anyone had similar problems with the battery in the viper????? Could it be an alternator problem or could it be electrical (a shorting wire or something)? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I had a reeeeeeaally stupid question. With regards to the battery indicator on the dash, does this meter tell you what the charge of the battery is or does it show you that the alternator is charging the battery or both or something else. I always thought it showed the charge of the battery and would not indicate if the alternator was not working right. Would I be able to tell if the alternator is going by the meter itself????????? We really were not sure.

Can anyone help out????????????

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have had recent battery problems with a 2000 GTS. Turns out it was worn wires in the drivers door harnes shorting out and draining the battery. Fixed under extended warranty and has been fine since. I have heard of several others with the worn wire harnes also causing the speaker to stop working as well at the door locks and power mirror. Seems to be a common problem. The gauge on the dash is a measure of the voltage output from the alt. It is not a measure of the battery charge.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Chuck Tator fixed the harness also going through the firwall and there was a part on the door that needed to be changed. I charged up the battery and all is fine. Drove the car and all is fine. I'm keeping it on the carge overnight and will keep an eye on things.

Thanks,
Andrew