BEFORE YOU BUY A VIPER

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have recently read that some people are buying Vipers without having test driven them to determine if they will like the car in advance of the financial committment. I'd like to suggest some alternatives.

1. In California, Skip Barber driving schools use 2003 Viper SRT-10s. For a fairly nominal amount of money, you can get some decent driving instruction, meet some Viper owners (Contact Fred Kinder on these boards, for instance), and drive a Viper for 1/2 of a day.

2. You can also look up Exotic Rentals, and find places that rent Vipers, and rent one for one to two days.

3. There are used SRT-10s at some dealerships, and the dealer will allow you to test drive those. The dealer will not be upset with you if you test drive a used SRT-10 and then buy a new one from him.

There is no reason to buy an $80,000 vehicle before you know if you will like it.

Assuming you do buy an SRT-10, there are some other things to know:

1. The stock run-flat tires do not "hook up" (create adhesion to asphalt) when they are cold. On a turn, with too much throttle, the vehicle's tires frst spin, then grap (create traction). If this happens in an unpredictable manner, the vehicle can end up suddenly going sideways very quickly. Since there is not electronic stabilization, you need to understand CPR, meaning "correct, pause and recover". If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't push the car too hard while it is new to you.

2. The pedals are very close together, similar to racing cars. The first time you need to brake in an extreme situation, you are highly likely to hit the gas pedal at the same time you hit the brakes. In the beginning, it may be a good idea to push in the clutch pedal at the same time you hit the brakes hard, if you are comfortable doing that. Otherwise you may accelerate when you mean to brake.

3. Talk to other owners, or visit here. This car is a throw back to a time that some of us old guys used to drive cars without much electronic sophistication. But with much, much more power, and much stronger brakes. If you are younger, it is unlikely you've been raised on this type of vehicle, and while you probably have superior ooordination, and reflexes, it would be good to build up experience slowly and carefully.

I'm aware that this type of advice makes it clear that I'm an old guy who gave up racing motorcycles because they're dangerous, and who doesn't really race anything. I only go fast when and where it is safe to do so, and I recommend a Skip Barber or other driving course or two, or ten, plus some track days to anyone who wants to drive a Viper quickly. Smooth is worth a lot, and experience is worth even more.

OK Dull lecture over. :usa:

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<There is no reason to buy an $80,000 vehicle before you know if you will like it. >

-I bought mine having never driven one of any year model. What is there to determine? The performance speaks for itself. The first thing that came to my mind when I pulled out of the dealership was "this is what I wished the Z06 was when I bought that"

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice; I'm taking it to heart. I live in Vegas so I can rent one for a day to make sure from Rent-a-vette (he rents all kinds of exotics - Pemberton recommended him). I did test drive a used 03 and was hooked. I didn't buy it because I don't look and buy on the same day (cool-off required), plus I wasn't sure about getting an 03. I have a couple of motorcycles including a Gixxer 1000 and I'm 49. Wonderful machine but not for everybody just like the Viper. I do crave excitement and am looking for a brutally overpowered go-kart with some amenities; I think the Viper fits the job best.

OP
OP
L

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice; I'm taking it to heart. I live in Vegas so I can rent one for a day to make sure from Rent-a-vette (he rents all kinds of exotics - Pemberton recommended him). I did test drive a used 03 and was hooked. I didn't buy it because I don't look and buy on the same day (cool-off required), plus I wasn't sure about getting an 03. I have a couple of motorcycles including a Gixxer 1000 and I'm 49. Wonderful machine but not for everybody just like the Viper. I do crave excitement and am looking for a brutally overpowered go-kart with some amenities; I think the Viper fits the job best.

My last motorcycle was a 2003 GSXR 1000 K3. R1, 929 and so on before that. The GSXR was too fast for me. And that's after CLASS, ERC, CSS instruction and riding with a CSS instructor for a few years, and leading RATs rides. Just to fast for me to process information. The Viper drops it a few notches, but gives you that "high side" hook up after wheel spin on turns, without the broken bones. I've done both the Vettes and the Vipers, and for a motorcycle guy the Vipers are the way to go. Actually, I'd suggest a 1997 RT-10 for the closest thing to a motorcycle in a high horsepower car. The SRT-10 is almost too civilized by comparison. But I'm older than you at 54, so a little comfort doesn't bother me :- ) Or you could turbo a Lotus Elise.

Larry

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never sat in one, but when I found out the Viper had a 488 ci V10 I would have bought it even if the seats came with razor blades sticking out.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larry:

That is a very good post and overview.

What is there to determine before you buy?

Simple: Determine if the unique Viper characteristics are something you value/enjoy or, instead, they make you wee yourself.

Alice & The Viper Blog

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do a lot of rentals for guys who want to test it out "before they buy". When the dealer wont let them drive their demo, I get them my way too. I think more people do this than you think. The Viper is a great car if you are into the "musclecar" feel of a vehicle. Most people with this type of $ usually will go the extra mile to at least sit in one... unless of course it's the very first year out within the first few months...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Feel free to contact any of us in the Nevada Region of the VCA with any questions, etc. We are more than willing to help you out. Also, John Kiland from Rent-A-Vette is a member of our region. You can find our contact info at http://www.nevadavipers.com. Feel free to come out to our next club meeting if you want - June 8 at Hot Rod Grille in Henderson at 6:30PM. Let me know if you need any more info...

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool, see you there. We have a couple of members that may be willing to let you drive their SRT-10s as well if you play your cards right. In the meantime let me know if you need any info or help - I can hook you up with the guy I bought my GTS from - he can buy your car at the highline wholesale auction and just charge a fee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32