Best 5 Point Harness on the market?

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know of any manufactures that make GOOD 5 point harnesses? I know of Snake Oyl (anyone purchase their product? Are you happy with the quality?)

Are there other manufactures on the market? If so, and you have purchased their product, I would like to hear your opinions on both the quality of the product and the install process.

Thanks in advance,

-W

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Snake Oyl stuff is all first class. There are plenty of brands on the market. It all depends on how much you want to spend? I don't think anyone has a nicer looking set than Cory, plus his customer service is great! Good luck.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will, I have the Snake Oyl kit and I should have shown it to you last Saturday at Thunderhill. Let me know if you want to see it. The straps are as good as anybody else's out there and the buckle is the best. It has the snake head logo.

By the way, how is the leak with brake system? If you want to go to another SCCA school, let me know and maybe I can help you get a discount since you missed half of the day.

Michael Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking at installing the harnesses in my Viper... so far, best set up I've seen is those made by Team Tech. They have better padding and support across the chest. However, they are a bit more expensive than the some of the others (around $375/set). Others you may look at are Simpson and RJS which I've seen for under $200/set. May check with Sean Roe on the RJS camlocks he uses in his packages. He doesn't advertise them but I received a note that he has them available... think that they are in the $150 range.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Team Tech harness is the best on the market, IMO. They offer full 3" wide webbing, an excellent cam lock system, more extensive padding than anyone else I have seen, the cam lock is attached to the anti-sub strap so when you unbuckle the belts the cam lock doesn't fall out of the car and scratch or chip the paint. Also, the sternum strap is the best chest protection on the market. No cool Viper logo, but that's not the reason to buy belts.

You must be registered for see images

Hope this helps.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wider would probably be better except for the fact that the belts go through the slots in the seats which tend to cinch your neck. This would not be a problem with an aftermarket seat with belt holes that spread the shoulder straps apart. I put shoulder pads just so the strap edges don't chafe on my neck.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: http://www.lopeznet.com/viperboypublic/harnesses.htm

It is VERY dangerous to have the shoulder harness mounts BELOW your shoulders. This can cause compression injuries under high "G" loading in a severe crash especially with a factory seat. There was a reason that Dodge predrilled the holes so they can be mounted up on the top of the bulkhead.

Bobby Archer is a God. I'm surprised this came from his shop. If you value convenience over safety then the fact that they are easily removed is cool. I just let them hang behind the seat and they don't bother me

Simpson 6 point harness with the camberlock is a good belt and is SFI approved.
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/restraintset.htm

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: http://www.lopeznet.com/viperboypublic/harnesses.htm

It is VERY dangerous to have the shoulder harness mounts BELOW your shoulders. This can cause compression injuries under high "G" loading in a severe crash especially with a factory seat. There was a reason that Dodge predrilled the holes so they can be mounted up on the top of the bulkhead.

Bobby Archer is a God. I'm surprised this came from his shop. If you value convenience over safety then the fact that they are easily removed is cool. I just let them hang behind the seat and they don't bother me

Simpson makes great belts that are SFI approved. http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/restraintset.htm

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I have belts already (the ACR uses MOMO belts), I do have a couple points to add. You notice everyone here has mentioned a cam-lock setup. There are two types that I know of, cam-lock and latch-over, definitely get a cam-lock (I'm not even sure if vendors are making new latch-over systems but just to give you more info). Also, padding is important, but it doesn't necessarily have to be integrated into the belt system. This weekend at Thunderhill you may have noticed I had Snake Oyl's harness pads over my belts - they are fantastic! On a related note, there was a guy in a durango who got in an accident and the webbing on his shoulder belt (not a 5 point, regular belt) cut his neck and he bled to death. So, if the setup you get is mainly webbing and not much padding (like the ACR's) I highly suggest you get a set of harness pads to go with them, just to be on the safe side. And regardless, they just feel downright comfy!

- Mark ('99 ACR)

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put the Schroff, schrauf???? Anyway these belts are first class. I had Simpson in the old car and not at all like these new ones. THey are a few dollars more but well worth the money. THey are even supposed to be safer. In the stiching they have a way of a small release if there is an impact. This allows them to give a little reducing injuries. Also the buckle is really nice and won't damage the interior. The Snake Oyl belts you are all talking about has a steel buckle and can cause damage to the interior when not being used.

Best Price is at Joe Anderson's site. www.supersonicracing.com
He will give special prices to Viper nuts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog