best lolking wheels for blue/white 1997 ? help needed

nismobrown

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have just bought a blue/white 97 gts .
please can anyone guide me in the right direction for the best looking and size wheels ?
thanks.

BW96snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'nuff said...

(18" BBS LM, would've liked 19" though)

Attachments

• IMG_8270_crop_comp.jpg
    IMG_8270_crop_comp.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 67

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are on my 96 B/W. If you like them, let me know and I'll tell you the exact size and model for both wheels and tires. Do notice if you upgrade your wheels from the stock 17s, it's pretty much a "must" to upgrade you're brakes as well.

P.S. I plan on lowering the car with Eibachs, so it should have an overall better look and stance. Will post Pics once I do.

attachment.php

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
18" wheels are the minimium. The 96-98s came with cast wheels that were 17". Prone to cracking if tracked. Michelin PS2 tires are the best choice for dry, wet, street and some track duties. I installed 14" brakes on the front of my car and you should instal Tom's larger rear caliper to upgrade your brakes to the close equivalent of Gen 3 brakes.

I have superlightweight Forgeline VR1 Billet wheels, but they are no longer available.

Ted

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have just bought a blue/white 97 gts .
please can anyone guide me in the right direction for the best looking and size wheels ?
Wheels are a highly personal opinion. Here is what I think is the best aftermarket deal out there right now: http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...-debut-black-track-wheels-2195-92-2010-a.html

I personally don't care for the dark look on most cars (except yellow) because it reminds me of brake dust; but, lots of folks love it.

I like this style because it is lightweight, is "open" but not too open and not as busy as a BBS wheel. (not as hard to clean because of number of spokes/webs or whatever you call them)

It really depends on what style you are going for.

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the 2009 Viper OEM 6 spokes fit, I'd go with them. I have them on my 06 and get a lot of compliments on them. They are super light too. 18s in front, 19s in rear. You can buy them from JonB at Partsrack for about $1700. Mine are chromed by LA Wheel and Tire (additional $700). Cheap!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18" wheels are the minimium. The 96-98s came with cast wheels that were 17". Prone to cracking if tracked.

Ted

Wrong.
In early-mid '97 the switched over to forged wheels and were forged from then on.
Both my '97 and '98 have forged wheels.

Let's try to get the facts right.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my '97 B/W I was going to put a set of Forgeling SP3Ps on it. Brushed or silver center with a polished lip.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are on my 96 B/W. If you like them, let me know and I'll tell you the exact size and model for both wheels and tires. Do notice if you upgrade your wheels from the stock 17s, it's pretty much a "must" to upgrade you're brakes as well.

P.S. I plan on lowering the car with Eibachs, so it should have an overall better look and stance. Will post Pics once I do.

attachment.php

HOLY 4X4....:omg:

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wheels are a highly personal opinion. Here is what I think is the best aftermarket deal out there right now: http://forums.viperclub.org/new-pro...-debut-black-track-wheels-2195-92-2010-a.html

I personally don't care for the dark look on most cars (except yellow) because it reminds me of brake dust; but, lots of folks love it.

I like this style because it is lightweight, is "open" but not too open and not as busy as a BBS wheel. (not as hard to clean because of number of spokes/webs or whatever you call them)

It really depends on what style you are going for.

Thanks for the link, Jim. Nice looking wheels and that price is great too. I'm very tempted....:D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wrong.
In early-mid '97 the switched over to forged wheels and were forged from then on.
Both my '97 and '98 have forged wheels.

Let's try to get the facts right.

Ok, (some 97s?), 98s were forged 17s and 99s were forged 18"

Ted

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one above has the forged wheels. I had the original cast rims, and just was not happy with the shine. Later on I got a set of 19' VR-1's. If you plan to track your car ask around because some are more "show" than "go" and are not really for track use.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i still like these - yes, they could be taller - i guess looking at the pace car model on my shelf for all these years has burned those wheels and a b/w combo into my mind

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one above has the forged wheels. I had the original cast rims, and just was not happy with the shine. Later on I got a set of 19' VR-1's. If you plan to track your car ask around because some are more "show" than "go" and are not really for track use.

Those VR1s do look great.
BTW, I've seen this car in a rather nasty photo before.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a deal to me. Well, how good is the deal depends on the depth of tread (lots) on the $1500 PS2s.

Ted