Blank keys via eBay

Red94Roadster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 94 RT/10 with the standard chrysler FOB and keys. I've seen several Viper blanks on eBay that are a bit more appealing. Does anyone know if they're legite? What do I need to look for to ensure compatibility? Also, what does it mean when they say "This is not a transponder key."

Thanks.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a couple off of ebay, worked great. It's a standard key format that Chysler/Dodge used in a number of vehicles. It's not a transponder key because it doesn't have a chip in it that needs to talk to a computer to authorize the engine to start. Vipers (at least until 2002) don't use a transponder system.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, dealer wanted $150, bought mine for $20 on ebay and had the Ace hardware cut it for pocket change. Ridiculous.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one and use it all the time, looks cool, wife thinks it is lame, but I like it...

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a red one for about $20 on eBay, had it cut at the hardware store and its works great!

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also bought the snake head on ebay...Only issue, it was not really made for GEN1 cars...it works but mine you have to pull out a millimeter or 2 from being all the way in, in order to turn it. But i am over all happy.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also bought the snake head on ebay...Only issue, it was not really made for GEN1 cars...it works but mine you have to pull out a millimeter or 2 from being all the way in, in order to turn it. But i am over all happy.

Thats wierd. Mine works fine and I have a Gen 1 steering column

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think with ANY ebay purchase you look at the sellers feedback and ask questions.

I have bought 2 from vendors on ebay selling Viper key blanks

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one w/ the genIII viper and Fangs facing forward and you have to make sure it is all the way in b/4 it will let you turn it. It wa sonly $12 on ebay and like $.40 to have it cut

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, most of them are real. I bought a DC snakehead key for $18 shipped and it came in a DC bag, had Home depot cut it and it works great.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Only issue, it was not really made for GEN1 cars...it works but mine you have to pull out a millimeter or 2 from being all the way in, in order to turn it."

I'm thinking that was a problem caused by the cutting.

I bought a couple on Ebay.
The local hardware screwed up one trying to cut it.
So I went to a Dodge dealer. They also screwed up a second one while cutting it.
The guy at the dealer said he would replace it. I said ok.

He ordered one and when I came to pick it up, he said
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THAT THING COST????

He said it was over $100.

He gave me the new one but he wouldn't try to cut it for me.

DrugDr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also ordered keys from eBay.The snake head keys are OEM and work perfectly. The black rubber OEM keys (Cobra head) although listed for 1998-2004 do not insert easily into ignition, too thick.I will keep for spares. I cut my own keys and they operate just fine

fayardp

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered blanks on Ebay for the Viper twice, and they always worked perfectly. Look a hell of lot better than the Chrysler key, where everyone thinks you own a Neon.

K

Kaya

I have a 2006 and bought a blue sneaky pete key from ebay and I use it instead of the original keys. It works fine and I think I paid 30 dollars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950