Body/repair shops in VA/MD

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one know of any good ones. Car needs some body work (hood, door, side sills) and the one good shop called wagon works near me will only use OEM parts from there own supplier, which I dont think my insurance company is going to cover totally. I trying to buy most of the parts used if possible (from partsrack and Chuck if I need new) and replace my hood with a diamond back.
before anyone ask....I was merged into hitting my pass. door and then spinning and hitting front and rear bumper. Nothing looks major just cosmetic. In the shop now getting full estimate of damage.

Wouldnt let me post in the VA/MD forum, so posting here.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump....anyone. I just got off the phone with the wagon works shop and their price to repair is outrageous. mainly cause they will only use OEM parts from dealer.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't post in the VA/MD section because you are not a member. Where are you located? How much work does the hood need? Post pictures of the damage if possible.

Last question is why aren't you a member?

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told to send fax for membership and never heard anything and this was some time ago. Never thought to check on it.
I am between Bowie MD and Arlington, VA. any place in the metro area is fine. I dont know how much work the hood needs as the shop just wants to replace everything and the hood looks as it can be repaired but I would like it replaced. My mine thing is I would like to use jonb or chuck instead of giving money to the shop for parts. at least if I use jonb or chuck it will be a club sponsor. The shop wants to replace both rear quarter panels which have slight cracks in them but can be repaired.
Ill post pics if i can. insurance is/should be paying for all of it but shop said they could easily total it because of the cost of OEM parts from factory.
Besides I just spent 14k on engine upgrades and would hate to see it go to waste cause I wouldnt get it back if they total it.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most shops will want to replace the quarters since most insurance companies make them offer lifetime warranty on body repairs. The shop doesn't want to risk the repair re-splitting plus there is more money in marking up parts. Most shops are funny about letting customer provide parts because there could be defects in the parts or there could be fit/finish issue which will cause them to spend more time in labor and potentially have a finished product you are unhappy with. Can't really blame them. By supplying your own parts, you are also making it a nightmare for the insurance company with regards to pay out. Perhaps you could talk to shop owners and request they buy parts from JonB or Tators.

There is a reputable shop that does Vette work in Gaithersburg/Rockville area. I know another guy in Baltimore that used to work for Heffners and I have contacts at few other shops. Have you spoken with the insurance company regarding repairs? If you have receipts for the engine mods, they should supplement the amount to the claim if you have to go down that road. Is the insurance company willing to let you supply the parts? Let me know which route you want to go and I can dig up the information on contacts.

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you membership information. You can also call and join over the phone or via internet.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to piggyback on what John said, here is some more information to help with the membership:

To Join...
By Phone: 1.800.998.1110
By Web: VIPER MAGAZINE
By Fax or Mail: http://www.viperclub.org/regions/vcamembershipapplication.pdf

If you need an application sent to your house, let John or myself know and we'll get one sent off to you ASAP. This is a region full of great people and there is an awesome year of events ahead of us. The more the merrier....we'd love to have you join us!

Kelly

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill know something on Mon but i was told off the record it was totalled by wagon works and i believe they are going to write it up as such with all new OEM parts at retail price. I m wondering if it would be better to push for a total or get fixed. With the price of vipers now, i could get a good deal with mods.
If they do im in the market for another. I hope they cover the 14k I just spent in upgrades (I have all receipts).
Ill get started on the membership.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill know something on Mon but i was told off the record it was totalled by wagon works and i believe they are going to write it up as such with all new OEM parts at retail price. I m wondering if it would be better to push for a total or get fixed. With the price of vipers now, i could get a good deal with mods.
If they do im in the market for another. I hope they cover the 14k I just spent in upgrades (I have all receipts).
Ill get started on the membership.

As a standard bit of advice given to someone in your situation....call 2 people...JonB and Bill Pemberton. They have been through this a LOT and can probably give you some very valuable advice on what to do next. Glad you're ok though. Care to share any details about what happened? Totally understand if not.

OP
OP
S

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent Jonb an email to inform him of it and if he wanted any information to where it was going if it is a total. Right now I think it may be best to push for a total. I really love that car and hate to see this happen.

I was driving on a two lane road which merges into one. Conditions were rainy and time was 3 am. Like i said i was driving down and all of a sudden I get this hit on my pass door and then both cars start spinning, then another hit, then another. In the end my pass door, pass side sill, both rear quarter panels and front and rear bumper and hood have damage. Car started right up but first thing I noticed was that my fule gauge read full when I know it was only a half tank. Any I drove the car to Ihop, eat and then to a friends house and car felt normal. Next day I go to drive home and about 7 minutes into the drive, car starts to act funny, like its losing power. So I down shift and same thing. A minute late, car shuts down and wont start, cranks but once start. I did have a new stereo and sub installed that day so not sure if that had sometihng to do with it. Pass door and side sill take most of the damage. front bumper is pretty bad. Hood is shifted, sitting higher on one side and some minor cracks in the front and both rear quarter panels have min. crack.

I doubt the frame has any damage as the car drove the same and I have looked under the car the best I could and didnt notice any thing difference about it.
If Geico does decide to fix it iam pushing for as many parts from jonb and/or chuck or have the repair shop contact them and replace the hood with a diamond back. Its they total it, hopefully I will get a good amount, especially with the 14k i just dropped into it and Ill be looking another GTS (love the body style to much, even though I could probably get a SRT for cheaper) with engine work and/or a paxton already installed which is what I had planned on doing anyway.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SquadX,

Here is a shop in PA that does great body work. Just repainted a quarter on the GTS that got scratched at a carshow in Carlisle last year. The shop owner owns a viper and the other shop owner was a viper tech for several years.

Good guys and would be worth the trip in my opinion for a job done right.

Carlevale Custom Cars Ask for Dave @ 717-943-4654.

Ed

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SquadX,

Here is a shop in PA that does great body work. Just repainted a quarter on the GTS that got scratched at a carshow in Carlisle last year. The shop owner owns a viper and the other shop owner was a viper tech for several years.

Good guys and would be worth the trip in my opinion for a job done right.

Carlevale Custom Cars Ask for Dave @ 717-943-4654.

Ed

I second that opinion, I have seen his work, you won't be disappointed

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving on a two lane road which merges into one. Conditions were rainy and time was 3 am. Like i said i was driving down and all of a sudden I get this hit on my pass door and then both cars start spinning, then another hit, then another. In the end my pass door, pass side sill, both rear quarter panels and front and rear bumper and hood have damage. Car started right up but first thing I noticed was that my fule gauge read full when I know it was only a half tank. Any I drove the car to Ihop, eat and then to a friends house and car felt normal.

Let me get this straight -- you total your Viper, then drive it to IHOP to eat Pancakes?

Seriously, glad you're Ok, and with today's prices, a total is not a bad thing, there are some great deals out there for you to take advantage of.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend who does his own work from his house. His garage is setup for paint work and he owns a Viper (in our local group down here and worked on mine). If the damage is just cosmetic he can probably set you up. If it's something more serious like suspension or mechanical work or the frame is bent you need to go to someone bigger. If you're interested in my friend PM me. We are down in Fredericksburg VA about 1 hour from you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950