Brake line removal

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my BBK for my Gen 2 and now I'm removing the stock brake lines. Can someone tell me the correct size that I need to remove them? I've got the front passenger side line unbolted from the frame and I can't get the line to break free to remove it so I can replace it with SS lines.

I'm using 3/8" but I have slightly rounded it off just a little. It's hard enough as it is because the wrench keeps slipping. Any suggestions, it's close to coming off but no luck so far. Thanks!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're not using a tubing wrench? Always use a special tubing wrench for brake lines. Standard wrenches will round nearly every brake line nut.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you need to replace the nut - remmber that brakeline are required by law to be a double flare - not a single flare. (special tools)

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. I advise buying the thickest one possible as I have 3 different ones and the Snapon is my favourite. It's never failed me. However I have a couple sets of the cheaper ones and they will let you down. Buy the best. You'll seldom need more than the 3/8" as normal wrenches will work on the larger nuts.

Ted

Ted

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ted! If I do end up needing to replace the nut, what is the best way to go? It will be the main line that runs under the engine...

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Ted! If I do end up needing to replace the nut, what is the best way to go? It will be the main line that runs under the engine...

If it was me, I'd remove the rubber line and grind off the flare. If that isn't possible, I'd use a cutoff wheel and cut through the nut just above the metal end of the rubber hose. Throw away the old rubber line and chopped line end. Buy a new nut and use a double flaring tool (get help or test on another brake line until you can do a perfect flare), then slide the nut over the stock brakeline, assemble the tool over the end of the brakeline and make the flare. If eveything goes well you should only lose about 1/2" of line to get the flare in the line replaced.

Or ... measure the complete line to the next junction and buy another one pre-made, then use a tubing bender to bend the new line so that it is a perfect match to the old line and replace.

Ted

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably because you've rounded the flats. IMO, you have 2 choices: 1) dress the nut flats with a file/Dremel tool, or 2) just go for the Vise-Grips and chunk the old nut after you've cut the flare off. Get a new nut and re-flare the tube end.

OP
OP
J

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably because you've rounded the flats. IMO, you have 2 choices: 1) dress the nut flats with a file/Dremel tool, or 2) just go for the Vise-Grips and chunk the old nut after you've cut the flare off. Get a new nut and re-flare the tube end.

I tried this on the lines that I haven't touched yet and the wrench doesn't seem to fit? I was in a hurry at lunch so I will try to get them off tonight.