Brake pad write up or tool list???

Man_Car

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody posted a "how to" on changing brake pads yet? I'd even be happy with what tools are needed as I need to get them for the project. I haven't done it before but I'm up to the challenge.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on whether you're needing it for front or rear pads. The front pads are surprisingly easy, which is why its probably not been written up. Once your familiar with it, you can replace pads on each front wheel in less than 15 minutes. Front pad replacement could be summarized as:

1) remove wheel
2) using a punch, gently tap out the two retaining pins on each caliper that hold the pads in place (push the pins from the outside to the inside, then remove them from the inside)
3) remove brake reservoir cover to allow fluid to return, cover with towel so it doesn't splash anywhere
4) use the old pads that are still in place and a prying instrument or C-clamp to carefully retract both caliper pistons as far as they will go (don't damage your rotors!, leave the opposing pad in place to support the rotor, etc)
5) remove old pads, drop the new pads in place
6) clean the retaining pins, and put back in place, tapping very gently with a hammer or similar tool to verify they are completely seated
7) put wheel back on (torquing correctly, etc)

Did I miss anything? Any disagreements?

Rear pads are a bit different. You have to tilt and remove the rotor to get to the pads (easy to do, but not very obvious - you do *not* have to remove or unmount the rear calipers in any way). Additionally, you'll need to make or buy a special tool to retract the pistons (many people will just sacrifice a pair of needle nose pliers; sacrifice, as you'll possibly bend the jaws), as the pistons are different because they are part of the emergency brake system and have to be literally screwed back into the piston body to retract them.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER brake jobs are no harder than any other car I've worked on. If you've done this before you won't have any problems.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On any car with ABS, crack open the bleeder srew before pushing back the caliper piston or you'll have ABS bleed problems. Also be careful when pushing them back on nonABS if not opened you may overfill Master cylinder and make a mess. I always surface my rotors too or else it takes a few thousand miles for the pads to wear into uneven rotors and you may have pulls until they seat full surface. If you have any pulsation at all then definitely get them resurfaced.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER brake jobs are no harder than any other car I've worked on. If you've done this before you won't have any problems.

Viper brakes are easier than any other car I have worked on. Sure beats repacking wheel bearings or replacing drum brake pads on my truck. Even my wife's Volvo XC90 requires you to remove the front calipers to change pads.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21