Brakes Squealing ...

BigSexyJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When braking the car from any speed; I would say from about <20mph-0 the brakes squeal... I had this similar on my Corvette Z06 :rolleyes: --- At the time the Chevy Dealer said the pads were "defective" carbon metallic and recommended ceramics.
I still have the OEM Brakes on my 2008 Viper; I have power washed, scrubbed, cleaned the car (not that I needed another reason to wash it) ... Even when the car is driven "a little" harder... brakes still make the noise.
Thankfully... Stopping is not an issue; just rather enjoy the exhaust note, and not feather the brakes to avoid the noise...
Any help/advice/similar situations?

Thanks Again.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When braking the car from any speed; I would say from about <20mph-0 the brakes squeal... I had this similar on my Corvette Z06 :rolleyes: --- At the time the Chevy Dealer said the pads were "defective" carbon metallic and recommended ceramics.
I still have the OEM Brakes on my 2008 Viper; I have power washed, scrubbed, cleaned the car (not that I needed another reason to wash it) ... Even when the car is driven "a little" harder... brakes still make the noise.
Thankfully... Stopping is not an issue; just rather enjoy the exhaust note, and not feather the brakes to avoid the noise...
Any help/advice/similar situations?

Thanks Again.
Hah, I had no squeal on my vette with OEM pad. I was getting tired of cleaning my wheels everyday so I switched to ceramics. Now, I have little dust but the brakes squeal like ****, in spite of supposedly being quiet. One thing I noticed that helps is to periodically blow out the brake dust from the calipers and rotors, this quiets them down for a while. Maybe my ceramics are defective? LOL My viper uses OEM pads, no noise at all.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of it comes from bedding the pads correctly.
When I bought my car, it had EBC Reds on it and they squealed like no tomorrow. I tried the brake quiet grease, hitting them and the rotors with some sandpaper and re-bedding a few times, but nothing would get rid of it. I know a lot of guys run them no problems at all, and I ended up giving them to another owner.
Since then, I've gone through a LOT of brake pads and haven't had an issue. Well, my tack pads will make a little noise, but that's to be expected (although they're still nowhere near as loud as the improperly bedded EBC's). I run the HAWK Ceramics on the street and they'll make a little noise every now and then, but nothing bad at all.
It really comes down to making sure you have any old pad residue off the rotors, using some grease on the back of the pads at installation and correctly bedding the new pads.

As said above, also check your ebrake pads (especially the inner ones), as they can wear out really quickly due to a dumb*** design. As long as you flip them inside to outside (they are the same), you can make them last longer and avoid damaging the rotor from metal to metal contact.

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ properly bedding the brakes will stop this, but first you have to throw away your pads, get new ones, replace the rotors, so new pads and rotors, bed the brakes and you will never have a sqeek again, period!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang