Break ?

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm working on my car getting ready for Viper days in Reno. I was going to install my new break pads but after inspecting my old ones I still have 2/3rd pad life left. How much pad can I expect to use at this track event? should I use up the rest of my old pads then put new on, or start with a fresh set and take my old ones as a back up.
This will be my first Viper days event, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to pick the obvious nit, but it's "brake". ;)

Since they're already bedded in, I'd use the ones currently on the car. Then check and or change 'em after the first day if needed. (If you're not interested in a track compound pad that is.) If you have to change 'em after the first day, you could go do some hard stops on the street to bed in the new pads in so you're not having to do it on the track.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You didn't say what kind of pads they were.

Regardless, I don't like to spend my track time doing any more maintenance than necessary, nor do I want to have one more thing to worry about. Especially when it comes to brakes.

The pad does more than stop the car, it also insulates the piston from heating up and subsequently heating up the fluid.

That being said, you might very well be fine. Just keep an eye on them. If you think you are losing pedal then you are losing pedal. Come off the track, install new pads and flush the fluid.

OMT, keep an eye on the temp. That blower will heat things up a bit.

Reaction score
Change the fluid to Motul 600, install deflectors. Pad life will depend on your braking and the heat generated.

There will be complete track support from John Archer. He can install deflectors, pads and change the brake fluid. They can do a lot more and if you get there early you can schedule the work to keep the track time loss to zero or near zero.

Archer also sell racing pads that require no bedding(heat cycle).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi