Build your own - when?

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish drivesrt would get the "build your own" link up and running.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess once they've priced out all of the options we'll be closer to a build your own configurator.

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stryker Red- 10k
Aero kit- 4k
Carbon Fiber styling- 2k
Wife letting you buy it... Priceless...

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to "Steve" for a few hrs at the NASCAR museum, great guy. He's the web content writer, he said to expect a confugrator online "very soon". I said that's something we need and everyone wants it, so it's coming .... soon.

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant see how cars will be ready for delivery by years end. I am betting more towards after winter!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI they said at dealers by Nov dates and to customers in Dec. They didn't seem phased when getting a shocked face in response. We'll see.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cant see how cars will be ready for delivery by years end. I am betting more towards after winter!

The first cars being built are the Launch Editions so they don't have a need for the "build your own" feature on the website just yet. 150 cars that will all look and be the same as far as options go.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's bad if actually all 1st 150 cars will be launch editions!!!

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking personally ordered cars. For some reason interest in the launch cars doesnt seem to match a 'build your own car."

The first cars being built are the Launch Editions so they don't have a need for the "build your own" feature on the website just yet. 150 cars that will all look and be the same as far as options go.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's bad because that means they will be running only the launch edition for the first 2 months or more of production and for those of us who want something else will have to wait till march or longer. Looks like I will have to get something else for myself for Christmas . . maybe Italian.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good part of the country isn't even gonna be able to drive the cars with winter fast approaching. If not being able to "build your own" yet is gonna cause you to get something Italian then go for it. Silly reason if you ask me but to each their own.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A good part of the country isn't even gonna be able to drive the cars with winter fast approaching. If not being able to "build your own" yet is gonna cause you to get something Italian then go for it. Silly reason if you ask me but to each their own.

Ouch! I am still getting a GTS (have placed a deposit), but its obvious I can't get one before Christmas, so why can't I get something else in the mean time. Oh, wait a minute, I can.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch! I am still getting a GTS (have placed a deposit), but its obvious I can't get one before Christmas, so why can't I get something else in the mean time. Oh, wait a minute, I can.

I gotcha. I thought you would get something italian instead of the Viper. No worries. :)

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's bad because that means they will be running only the launch edition for the first 2 months or more of production and for those of us who want something else will have to wait till march or longer. Looks like I will have to get something else for myself for Christmas . . maybe Italian.

I don't think this will be much of a big deal. Remember, they will be producing 12 cars a day. By the 13th day of production, they will be on other models. Also, production starts in November with deliveries in December. They will have non launch editions available I bet.

I do think it ***** a bit that December is when it released for some people since where they live will prevent them from driving it for 3 months after they buy it. I wonder if that will have those people hold their order until spring??

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They "say" production will start in November but I don't think so, (just a feeling and from experience). The reason they are doing the Launch Edition first is because they are all the same. There is no product variation. It allows them to massage the production process with as few variables as possible. They will be no where near 13 cars a day by Dec 31, it simply takes more time to ramp up, there are just so many things that go wrong. It's not just CAAP but all the hundreds of suppliers too. All it takes is for one supplier to miss and everything shuts down. It's just manufacturing.

The other really big factor is they are not taking orders until some time in November. That means they have no idea who will be ordering what, SRT or GTS, seat colors, paint, hoods, carbon fiber etc. There are lead times for all those part variations. They are taking a guess initially but they will be conservative since we all know forecasts are never right.

I am sure there will be Launch Editions out there before Christmas and the fact that Vipers tend to hibernate in the winter for many folks, it will not be that big of a deal if it takes a little longer.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They "say" production will start in November but I don't think so, (just a feeling and from experience). The reason they are doing the Launch Edition first is because they are all the same. There is no product variation. It allows them to massage the production process with as few variables as possible. They will be no where near 13 cars a day by Dec 31, it simply takes more time to ramp up, there are just so many things that go wrong. It's not just CAAP but all the hundreds of suppliers too. All it takes is for one supplier to miss and everything shuts down. It's just manufacturing.

The other really big factor is they are not taking orders until some time in November. That means they have no idea who will be ordering what, SRT or GTS, seat colors, paint, hoods, carbon fiber etc. There are lead times for all those part variations. They are taking a guess initially but they will be conservative since we all know forecasts are never right.

I am sure there will be Launch Editions out there before Christmas and the fact that Vipers tend to hibernate in the winter for many folks, it will not be that big of a deal if it takes a little longer.

I think you're right. The launch edition is an easy way for them to hammer out the issues. I guess we will be seeing the magazine tests in warmer climates. C'mon Texas!!

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think this will be much of a big deal. Remember, they will be producing 12 cars a day. By the 13th day of production, they will be on other models. Also, production starts in November with deliveries in December. They will have non launch editions available I bet.

They will make 8 a day once they get ramped up, if past production is a guide. Granted, Conner Ave. has been updated. Also, in the past, nothing gets shipped for the first few weeks of production.

Bill

OP
OP
M

Manatee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the SRT website got a refresh, you can see the car with different color wheel/color/stripe options

Thanks! Better than what we had.

Try doing Gunmetal with black stripes. Stripes don't look black compared to the color they put on the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte