Buying A New RT/10

LucimerOhmZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I have posted a thread in the driven section about a new daily driver to buy. I was thinking that now might be a good time to buy a Viper RT/10. 6 months ago when I joined, people suggested that I take high performance driving lessons, well I did uring this summer. Although I am 18.78 Y/O I would very much like to own a viper. I found some really nice ones between 20k~30k dollars that I can buy. I really want to know what should I expect as a Viper owner? How much will annual/periodic maintinence cost me, will I need an indoor garage? when can I / Cannot drive it?

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A garage is not necessary but that is a personal preference thing.

Theoretically you can drive it anytime you want.

Maintainance costs vary. There are a plethera of sources here on the VCA to get parts. The cost comes into play when you go to a dealer. If you are mechanically inclined you can do most of the work yourself.

Oil changes for example, $60-$80 bucks if you DIY. Close to $200 from the dealer.

Use the search function, it will answer most of your questions. Check out the new owner section as well. All of your concerns have been discussed before.

:usa:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no new RT/10 in 2010...the last RT/10's have been built in 2002...

If you worry about maintainance cost - stay away.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you worry about maintainance cost - stay away.

Why do you say that? Aside from modifications I can say 100% I have spent less than $3k in maintainance costs in three years and that includes replacing a transmission. If nothing breaks the only maintainace is tires, fluids, and brake pads.

:nono: Dont discourage the noobs. Teach them.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rob, but the tires are going to cost about 1500 compared to 500 if he had a regular car... regular car oil change $20...breaks a rim its about $500 compared to 50, breaks the windshield its $1500 compared to 250. but the oils and fluids are as you said. the brake prices similar and they are pretty solid cars but they are getting older now. things break a lot more often

but there are a TON of cheap vipers out on the market now. if you wait till winter, there will be more and they will be cheaper.

Moderator Edit. No ads from other sites please.

SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum I do agree with you. Being a buyers market it is not hard to find a solid, mid miles viper, with newER tires than the factory 10+ year olds.

As I mentioned aside from something breaking, the costs are slightly higher than say a corvette, mustang, etc.

Taking into account the OP age, my advice is to wait it out a little longer so he/she can be assured of a more solid vehicle. Buying from a VCA member greatly decreases the chances of getting a vehicle that will have a problem in the first two years.

I see it didnt take long to utilize Robert's informative post via cut n' paste.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should post your location in public view. Don't know why some folks are so reticent to do so. If you're not comfortable with IDing yourself, then just put your state.

The point being that overall ownership costs are influenced by where you live and the availability of good techs.

Have you checked on insurance costs? They can be vary considerably from relatively inexpensive to prohibitively expensive depending, again, on your location, your age and driving record.

Another factor is how much you plan to drive your Viper. Many folks barely do 1G miles a year.

The only time you can't (or shouldn't drive) a Viper is when the roads are particularly slick (could be intense rain with puddling/flooding or snow/ice). Accept for traction, there's really no other conditions which would create any more problems than a regular car.

The only other issue I'd suggest you consider is what condition Viper you will obtain in that price range. It's likely that you will need replacement parts and/or repairs sooner rather than later.

OP
OP
L

LucimerOhmZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not know how to make my location public, I snooped around in my options/profile page but can't seem to find it. I am living in Fort Collins, Colorado.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maintenance is cheap if you DIY.

depends how much you value your time.

I have spent alot of time and $$$ working on my viper to make sure she's reliable for the street&track. With a 30hr workweek and no kids its no Prob for me.

but for some people...

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
depends how much you value your time.

I have spent alot of time and $$$ working on my viper to make sure she's reliable for the street&track. With a 30hr workweek and no kids its no Prob for me.

but for some people...

Also depends on skill which I lack :)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do you say that? Aside from modifications I can say 100% I have spent less than $3k in maintainance costs in three years and that includes replacing a transmission. If nothing breaks the only maintainace is tires, fluids, and brake pads.

:nono: Dont discourage the noobs. Teach them.

I'd have to agree. Not discouragement but honesty. Maintaining these vehicles is not like maintaining a Camry - especially as a daily driver. The standard cost for an oil change (whether you DIY or not) is the entry-level indication of much it costs to maintain these vehicles - especially one that's almost 10 years old if he wants an 2002 RT/10. This is not the car you want to own and drive everyday if your funds are limited.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that these cars need very little maintenance unless you track them. Even oil changes, while expensive because of the need for 10-11 qts of Mobil One, are not done that often unless the car is a daily driver. Most aren't. I say buy one. You won't be able to wipe the smile off your face.

vipertanz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It also really depends on where you live and the Viper tax an oil change here at the local dealer is only 70 bucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi