Buying a Viper

97 GTS BL/WH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a long time "Viper want to be". I have finally come to the point were I can purchase one. :laugh:
I would like to find a Blue and White 96 or 97. The only other one I really like is 2001 Sapphire Blue/Silver Stripes.

Where is the best place to start my search? A couple of places I have been watching:
http://dodgevipersforsale.com/SRT.htm
http://www.premiercars.com/Inventory
http://www.woodhouse.com/

Can any of the ones I see on Ebay be trust worthy?

Do I want to buy one already modified but streetable, or buy it stock and do the modifications myself?

Thanks for any help.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Start with the classifieds section here and on Viper Alley

Also check out

BJ Motors (www.bjmotors.biz)
Call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Viper (www.woodhouseviper.com)
Autotrader is always your friend, lots of Vipers listed there, both private party and through dealers.

Whatever you do, request that a Viper owner or tech check out a car in person prior to purchasing or putting a non-refundable deposit on it. There are Viper owners all over the place, you'll find one within an hour of the car you're looking at, and we all want you to end up with a nice car.

Good luck with your search!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your decision, you won't regret it!

Keep a clear head and use common sense. You can find a clean car anywhere, you can also find a crappy car, again, anywhere. First, determine what is important to you. Low miles, no previous damage, original, price, mods? It's all individual. I'd write it down and then go find the car. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for what I want than end up in a woulda, coulda, shoulda situation.

Your buying at the right time of year (end of season) so take it slow and go get it! Good luck!!!!

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 2001 Sapphire/silver stripe GTS with 146 miles on it when I got it 2 years ago. After watching Barrett-Jackson auctions I became more concerned about its value (1 of 86 produced) in the future then going out and enjoying it now. I did some simple bolt on mods but wanted to do more. However, installing the mods I wanted would possibly be seen (holes, cuts, etc) if I were to bring the car back to stock.

Anyway, buying one already modded is less expensive (generally) then doing it yourself. I think some on this forum have said you'll get 10-20% of the money you put into the mods out of it if you sell.

Do you want to drag or road race it or do you just want something for casual driving around town? If your gonna race it quite a bit then perhaps look for one already modded and has some mileage on it. There may be a few more scratches or imperfections in the car but at least you wont worry so much about every little imperfection you put on if for this application. If you find one in PERFECT condition will you worry about taking it out in traffic or on the interstate where small chips for debris could cause a scratch or two?

I sold my Viper because I didnt drive it much and kept thinking about its possible value in the future. It was limited production and had very low mileage.

I'm now looking to get back into a Viper, one with some mileage but still well cared for from its owner. Stock or modded isnt a problem. I plan to road and drag race it as well as take it out and just drive around my area.

These are just a few things I didnt think about when I got mine. Hope it helps.

Good luck!!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from DodgeVipersForSale.com and I am quite satisfied with the owner, Marvin Rose. The car was as exactly as described and maybe a bit better.

OP
OP

97 GTS BL/WH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 vs 97.
What are the pros & cons of each?
Didn't they change the piston from a forged to cast?

Thanks everyone for the information.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
96-99 Lumpy cam, forged internals.

2001+ ABS, cast internals.

Colors vary depending on years.

Ebay Vipers usually come with some sort of history. Not all of them, but most of them. Make sure to do your research if you buy off the internet. The classifieds here are a safe bet too!

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001...first year abs brakes and weaker pistons (possibly run 5 psi of boost for forced induction without many problems)

1997...non abs brakes and stonger pistons (can run forced induction...8 or 10psi? without changing internals)

kcobean has a great link...plenty of info

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great color choice. I would say to search eBay first. You usually get good prices over there. Purchased my car on eBay and when I found the one I wanted, I just flew out and check it. Also you can have another dealer run a check on the car to make sure everything is okay. Believe me, it was worth the times since I ended up saving a bundle on a brand new car.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found mine on EBay, but I flew to Milwaukee from Toledo to check it out before I committed to buying the car. I also asked for very specific up close pictures of the car before flying to look at it. If the seller is unwilling to do this there is probably a reason why.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. What dealer was the Viper originally or last purchased from?
2. What is the current mileage?
3. Is it still under factory warranty? (what was the "in service" date?) Extended warranty?
4. Is the original window sticker available?
5. Do you have any of the original sales documentation?
6. What type of maintenance and / or repairs have been done to the car? (Records?)
7. Who performed / performs the repairs / maintenance?
8. When was the last service performed and what did it entail?
9. Does it have the stock radio?
10. Is there ANY curb rash on ANY of the wheels?
11. Has the car been driven in the rain? (cleanliness of the underside and wheel wells)
12. Are there equal gaps at the bottom sides of the hood, where the hood sides meet the top of the rocker panel? (just behind the front wheels) Pictures?
13. Are there equal gaps at the front "leading edge" sides of the hood where it meets the front bumper? (outermost front edge, towards the rear of the headlights) Pictures?
14. Are there ANY scrapes to the front spoiler? (under the car, black lip spoiler)
15. Are there ANY scrapes to the front fascia? (body colored front end, underneath)
16. Under the front of the car, have the leading or front portion of the front frame rails been scraped / bottomed out?
17. Are there any scratches, dents, scrapes to the inside door jambs (black painted areas)?
18. Are there any scrapes, dings, chips, etc to the rocker panel sides OR their undersides?
19. Does the A/C blow cold?
20. Do all switches and accessories operate properly?
21. Are there any fine cracks or surface spider-webbing cracks in / on the hood?
22. Will the hood stay up on its own?
23. Are the side bolsters of the seats (drivers in particular) showing any wear?
24. Do the doors close cleanly and flush and open without "dropping down" / sagging when opening? (sign of weak hinges)
25. Is the Viper garage kept?
26. Why are you selling?
27. What is your age?
28. What major city are you near?

Buying a used Viper
Here is a general list of questions I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though. Hopefully this can be of help to others.

Used Viper Questions:
General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock / original, or minor / moderate modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes)
(headers, hi-flow cats, cat-back system, or more?) Rear wing?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (Body stripes - painted or vinyl) Interior mods?
3. Nature of radio / CD player (stock, single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)?
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both? Condition of each
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover? Side windows? (Gen1)
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide after-market warranty)?

Condition:
1. General overall condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.)?
2. Involved in an accident(s), damaged, repainted, (telltale signs) etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / front lip spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?) Scratches on sport bar? Sport Bar cap missing?
5. How maintained? Records? (One owner? How many and how long) Documentation / Paperwork? DOCUMENTATION AND HISTORY of maintenance and sale(s) / owner(s)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tire condition? Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Wheels (condition, nicks, curb rash?) Stock wheels for the particular year or aftermarket
9. Carpet / Floor mats condition?
10. Smoker / non-smoker?
11. Nitrous or other power adder used?
12. Used for track events (strip, track, Viper Days and autocross)?
13. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside, chips, yellowing, sandblasted)
14. Condition of inside the door / rocker area
15. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
16. Bottomed out?
17. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable) and done CORRECTLY. Documented?
18. Head gaskets (Gen1) Documentation?
19. Hood alignment (symmetrical?) Any hairline cracks? Hinges keep hood up?
20. Doors close well (no drooping / sagging-bad hinges)

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)
3. Delivery

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are other differences (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII
ABS added in 2001
Forged pistons deleted in 2000
Lumpy cam deleted in 2000

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang