CAAP: When does it come back online to begin producing 2015s?

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard September 2nd, so just around the corner. Anyone know for sure?

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i heard it has now been pushed back to Late September 2014.

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you would think that the info would be out by now on the 15 cars. with no info yet, the plant wont have to worry about too many orders in the bank. if any.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you would think that the info would be out by now on the 15 cars. with no info yet, the plant wont have to worry about too many orders in the bank. if any.
Agreed.

There is too much inventory to restart production (which is why the start date keeps getting pushed back).
Some folks around here threw hissy-fits and cursed the day I was born when I pointed this out in June....:D

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't want a 2015. Why add even one more relatively unchanged Gen 5 to an already bloated inventory? Get it right with a lightly boosted 2016 (and retro kit) or let it go.

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dealers up here are advertising in-coming 2015's.

I'm sure some dealers don't have any Gen V's and want them, while others have lots. SRT can't fix the problems that some dealers have with selling these cars, which in some cases is just poor sales and business practices from the stories we read on the forum. I wouldn't want them to sink the whole program. Some dealers will need the additional incentive of 2015's to get their act together. If they never order another Viper after that than maybe that's not such a bad thing, and let the dealers that do know how to sell and service their customers reap the reward. Every successful dealer should be able to afford to have one Viper sit in their showroom, even if it's to elevate the stature of the dealership and to help sell other models.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ideally, every "dealer should be able to afford to have one Viper sit in their showroom, even if it's to elevate the stature of the dealership and to help sell other models."
It's really the primary purpose of having a halo car.
Under the current system, it's not possible to do this.
Perhaps Dodge can work out a different arrangement with their dealerships regarding the display of Vipers?

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the current system, it's not possible to do this.
Perhaps Dodge can work out a different arrangement with their dealerships regarding the display of Vipers?

Why do you think an SRT dealer can't afford to have 1 Viper on display (and try to sell it), and why do you think it's the manufacturers job to make a different arrangement? I would think if an SRT dealer doesn't want to order and pay for one like any other car they buy then that's a red flag indicating they are probably best not to have one at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dealers up here are advertising in-coming 2015's.

I'm sure some dealers don't have any Gen V's and want them, while others have lots. SRT can't fix the problems that some dealers have with selling these cars, which in some cases is just poor sales and business practices from the stories we read on the forum. I wouldn't want them to sink the whole program. Some dealers will need the additional incentive of 2015's to get their act together. If they never order another Viper after that than maybe that's not such a bad thing, and let the dealers that do know how to sell and service their customers reap the reward. Every successful dealer should be able to afford to have one Viper sit in their showroom, even if it's to elevate the stature of the dealership and to help sell other models.

I agree 100%

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you think an SRT dealer can't afford to have 1 Viper on display (and try to sell it)
Because the current arrangement regarding Vipers with Dodge is unworkable?
Just a thought.......:dunno:

why do you think it's the manufacturers job to make a different arrangement?
Dodge making $$$ on Viper sales is a difficult proposition at best.
As you stated in your post, using the car as a lure to bring car buyers into dealerships to buy other models makes sense in the big picture of the car biz.

I would think if an SRT does want to order and pay for one like any other car they buy then that's a red flag indicating they are probably best not to have one at all.
Wouldn't it be a good thing for Dodge's halo car to have more exposure and awareness with the public?;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Dodge dealership having a Viper in their showroom is like a museum having a Picasso in their exhibit.

It is not something that everyone can buy, but it is something that everyone wants to see.

A guy might make a special trip into a Dodge showroom to check out the Viper, but drive home in a new RAM or Dart. It gets the salesperson a chance to chat him up, and see what, besides the Viper, he might be interested in.

Harley is the Master of this selling technique. They draw in their customers with a free barbeque and band, and they drive home on a new bike.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard September 2nd, so just around the corner. Anyone know for sure?

Are you sure it's closed????

Automotive News reported two weeks ago July '14 production at 65 units. (Production only, doesn't say which model year).

This past Monday's edition did not show the plant as being closed or idled.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Dodge dealership having a Viper in their showroom is like a museum having a Picasso in their exhibit.

It is not something that everyone can buy, but it is something that everyone wants to see.

A guy might make a special trip into a Dodge showroom to check out the Viper, but drive home in a new RAM or Dart. It gets the salesperson a chance to chat him up, and see what, besides the Viper, he might be interested in.
Exactly.;)

Automotive News reported two weeks ago July '14 production at 65 units. (Production only, doesn't say which model year).
IIRC, this was to finish up 2014 orders.

OP
OP
V

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting. What does it show for August?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, how social pressure controls the majority of sheep followers. OMG no one wants to be the only person opposing group opinion !!!

The Viper is Custom one of a kind hand built auto. It excels in every facet but is surely not for those who need to follow public opinion.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason, SRT is being reluctant to release future plans. Seem to wait for the last minute on most everything.

Makes it difficult for the ViperNation to get a firm handle on what is going on with the manufacturer.

Hope it is nothing, but worrisome.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some reason, SRT is being reluctant to release future plans. Seem to wait for the last minute on most everything.

Makes it difficult for the ViperNation to get a firm handle on what is going on with the manufacturer.

Hope it is nothing, but worrisome.
They have to wait for inventories to come down.
Hopefully, there will be no 2015 model....giving SRT time to do a redesign.

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score

100% certain it's closed. All skilled trades are currently " Temporary Inactive" which means on layoff.

Also, the tradespeople numbers have been cut to less than half of how many were there at the start of summer.

I have heard 2 rumors, they're going back on the 2nd. But, I was talking with a supplier and was told they were told it was closed for another 3 months. I haven't been able to find info that confirms this, though.

I can check next week - see if people are back yet.

DDoug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and, if you think the Viper is drawing any customers to showrooms, you are nuts. At least here in Detroit. Only 15 year old boys who have been dragged to the dealership with their parents look at the Viper. My sales guy is knocking down 5 or 6 sales a day, nobody asks about the Viper.

In fact, I stopped in a a local dealer with $40,000 advertised knocked off the $140,000 MSRP, they didn't think I was serious ... even though I walked in asking straight away about the Viper. I was in a ZL1 - the dealer seems to have no idea who might be seriously interested in this car.

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have heard 2 rumors, they're going back on the 2nd. But, I was talking with a supplier and was told they were told it was closed for another 3 months.

In fact, I stopped in a a local dealer with $40,000 advertised knocked off the $140,000 MSRP, they didn't think I was serious ... even though I walked in asking straight away about the Viper.
The ONLY way for a factory restart for a 2015 Viper that is virtually unchanged is current inventory has to be blown out the door at ridiculous prices.
There is no other way at this point.

Hopefully, a new gen is being planned for next year...

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get sick of people talking about viper sales....holy mother of God...Ive purchased three vipers since 2006 and was in the market since 2002.

Let me tell you that the low volume 1500 a year viper has never really sold fast since the w arly 90s..

I remember ten years ago when it was very common to see unsold 2002s and 2003s sitting on lots for a year or too..

Good grief. Its nothing new. A viper isnt an audi r8 that you can drive every day or an extreme stays symbol such as an 45086k or Gallardo.

It is and has always been a very niche vehicle that dosent sell very well...

I get so tired of the guys whom are brand new to the viper world who constantly talk about slow sales and change this or change that...

You guys have no idea about the viper.

Not directed at anyone but geeze Im sick of it. Please go buy a mass produced corvette that three years later no one will care about because another new selling like hotcakes vette is out

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Context. This is the first Gen Viper that I can remember that was given the mandate to sell or else. It is also the first gen Viper that was marketed to a demographic outside its niche. So those two things are a few of the reasons you hear all this talk about the Viper selling or not selling. Its continued existence requires it to sell to more than its niche. This gen doesn't seem to have the Halo status the previous gens had. Its not hard to see why the talk is the way it is.

Last edited:

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Context. This is the first Gen Viper that I can remember that was given the mandate to sell or else. It is also the first gen Viper that was marketed to a demographic outside its niche. So those two things are a few of the reasons you hear all this talk about the Viper selling or not selling. Its continued existence requires it to sell to more than its niche. This gen doesn't seem to have the Halo status the previous gens had. Its not hard to see why the talk is the way it is.
Thanx for saving me some typing.;)

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ONLY way for a factory restart for a 2015 Viper that is virtually unchanged is current inventory has to be blown out the door at ridiculous prices.

Marketing disaster.....but then if the same folk are in charge why not

Hopefully, a new gen is being planned for next year...

Don't want a new Gen (6) to further devalue the 5. Improve the 5 with modest boost and offer retro kits for 2013-2014s, to elevate all the 5s to same level if desired.

Last edited:

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marketing disaster.....but then if the same folk are in charge why not
With current inventory barely moving, why would Dodge want to add to it?
A different G5 would help, but in its current configuration it would be silly.

Don't want a new Gen (6) to further devalue the 5.
Neither would I.
OTOH, maybe a G6 is the way to keep the model going from here?

Improve the 5 with modest boost and offer retro kits for 2013-2014s, to elevate all the 5s to same level if desired.
If it's technically and financially doable, then YES.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why in the world would SRT make more new Gen.5 Vipers to sit in showrooms unsold.They will have to firesale /give them away to get rid of the hundreds sitting in showrooms now.Sad End,but that is reality.Yes,a new greatly improved Gen.6 Viper is the only hope for new Vipers in the future.Esp.with that new Z06 coming..

SRT can do this if they wish,as demonstrated with new Hellcats...