Car CRASHED by a local dealer's service department!(long)

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car CRASHED by a local dealer\'s service department!(long)

Hello all. I want to share this sad happening to every viper owners out there. I have a 98 Viper GTS which I took it to the local dealership's service department to do some minor work on about June 16th or 17th last month. By the time I dropped off my car, I've mention that my car suffer somekind of vibration in 4th gear and I told the one of the service advisor to check it out for me and along to do some other minor work. And i also told them that i will leaving the car with them until everything is fix. So anyway, on June 22nd, a few days later...the dealership phoned me and told me that most of the stuff is fixed and they had already taken my car out for a test drive. And the only thing outstanding was they ordered a small little part for the door and they said it won't arrive until sometime next week. So since it's a Friday then and it's really sunny, so i told the dealership that i will take the car out for the weekend and return the car back on monday or tuesday when that part arrive. As soon as I took the car and drove out of their lot, right away i've noticed that my car had about 250km extra mileage on it. So i was really upset and noticed that obviously someone at the dealership had taken my car out for a joyride. (250km is about the mileage to drive from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, Washington).
So right away I phoned the service manager and told him about this and express my angry toward the dealership. Then I've carefully instructed the service manager from now on, no one should drive my car without my prior consent. And the service manager agreed and told me don't be upset and they will takecare of my car for the future...etc...trying to keep my business with them. Anyway, when I returned my car to the dealership on June 26th, again, I've express my anger toward the dealership for taking my car for a joyride and driven excessive mileage on it and again I was being told by the service manager that no one is allow to drive my car without my consent from now on. So, feeling a bit relaxed after that, I left the dealership. A few days later, on June 30th, a Saturday around 6:30pm, I received a phone call from the service manager and asked me to call him at his home. So as soon as I got the message, I called him back and the first thing he asked me was did I give authorization to one of the service advisor to take my car out that day....and right away I said NO! And i asked him why? speaking carefully, he told me that "it seems like that service advisor had came in to the dealership and taken my key and took off with my car. Right after I've heard that, I was already jumping up and down. Anyway, the service manager told me that he will try to find out more and call me back later. Then, about 2 and a half hours later, he called again. And the first thing he asked me was the same question he asked before"did you give authorization for that guy to drive your car?" and I've answered NO again. Then...again..speaking carefully...he told me that it seems like the car was involved in a "HIT AND RUN" accident. I'm sure everyone who reads this can pretty much know how i feel after i've heard that from him. I asked him right away...where's my car and what exactly happened? But he just said he don't really know and will call me back when he find out more. But he didn't call me back on sunday and monday(monday is a public holiday-Canada Day). By tuesday, I called the service manager to find out more, guess what?? He refused to talk and transfer the phone call to the owner of the dealership. And when i talked to the owner of the dealership, he told me to go to the dealership and look at the car...and he said it wasn't really that bad. Anyway, without saying much to him, i went to the dealership. When i arrived and saw my precious Viper, the whole front bumper had fallen off and inside of it was all cracked and damaged...and a few scratches on the side of the car as well. After seeing my car, the owner came out and talked to me. So of course i've expressed my deep anger towards him and told him that this is obviously the dealership's fault. And he told me that it's not the dealership's fault. I explained to him that it's because he is an employee of this dealership, that's why he can get a hold of my key and stole my car out and crashed it. Anyway, guess what the owner told me??? He simply just said"You have insurance and we have insurance, let the insurance takecare of it and get it over with!" My goodness!! How can he just said these kind of words only?? I brought the car brand new and been taking care of it until now without one single scratch on it and now since I trusted the dealership and leave my Viper with them to do some work, a employee of theirs simply stole my car and crashed it??? It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I demanded the owner to at least offer me something and he said he will call me back. Then, it had taken him one full week and still didn't call me back. And when i called him at the end of the week, he even avoided my calls. So i was so piss off and left him a message saying that since a week had passed and he didn't bother to call me, so he's leaving me with no choice other than giving this matter to my lawyer. And after this message i left him, the owner phoned me back on a monday and told me that he's willing to offer me a deal. So I told him that since the car been crashed, i don't want the car anymore and i want to get another one. And i asked him what can he do for me? And he said obviously he won't be able to get me another brand new 1998 GTS. So he said how about he find me a 2001 Viper GTS and offer me a "really great deal" and then he will try to find a buyer for my crashed one. I then said to him maybe this will work. Because I'm not greedy at all and I've told him, if I come to you and asked you to compensate me a brand new Viper since you guys crashed my car, then I'm not being practical and somewhat greedy. So anyway, he promised me that he will call me back once he have something. Then..a few days later...the owner called me and told me that he had located a 2001 GTS for x amount of money and told me that the other party won't release the car less and he had also told me that he found a buyer for my crashed car for x amount of money. Anyway, this x amount for the new 2001 was way too expensive and the x amount for my crashed car was way too low. So, without taken his so called "great deal", i had my own car broker to work on it. And guess what?? My car broker had managed to get the same car that the dealership is talking about for much less and also found a buyer for my crashed car for more money. I just can't believe that the dealership is still trying to make money out of my pocket after what they had done to my car.

Well, anyway...I've been typing too much already...just to cut it short...the dealership refuse to compensate anything to me after what they did to my car. So, since the car is crashed by some bozo, I had already sold the car and brought a new 2001 GTS. And I've also instructed my lawyer to get ready to sue the dealership for all damaged that I've suffered, of course including the depreciation of the car after it's a crashed car. And since I was being so nice to the dealership at the very beginning and wanting to make a deal with them, too bad they had refused to even compensate me for anything, besides to sue them, I will also spend some money to buy the front page of the local newspaper and let everyone know about how this dealership is treating their customer's precious VIPER!!! What I want to tell everyone here is that becareful and please remember to check your mileage every time when you take your car to service and when you get your car back from them. You never know when they will take your car for a joyride. And i'm basically waiting for the arrival of my new 2001 GTS. Although I'm still somewhat feeling upset of what happened to my precious GTS, I guess now I can try to put my sad feelings away and look forward to my new GTS's arrival. Thank you for those that spend your precious time to read about this.

For SEAN ROE if you read this: I've received your nice HID light kit already. But when I received it, the car already been crashed. So I'll definitely tell you how's the HID when I put it in my new GTS, ok? And thanks for your answer to my previous question regarding adjusting the light in my previous GTS, although i don't have the car anymore, but appreciated your prompt replied.

TAKECARE EVERYONE AND HAPPY MOTORING WITH YOUR PRECIOUS VIPERS!!

PHIL(98 GTS)

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Car CRASHED by a local dealer\'s service department!(long)

Good luck on the lawsuit, I hope you make those A**holes pay for what they did. Even my blood boiled after reading this. I also check mileage on the car and tell the service advisor I documented the miles so that way he is aware i am watching.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, long story. Did you mention the name of the dealer? Let us know. People in your area should be warned.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had 2 experiences with either a dealership or a body shop taking my car for a joy ride. I always check the mileage now and tell the service manager that I have done this. The one dealership put about 40 miles on the car and the body shop put about 25 miles on my car. I think it was stated here before that this can be considered grand theft auto if someone takes your car for a joyride without your permission. I was pretty pissed to find that my car was taken for a ride, but if I was in your situation I think it would take all my restraint to keep from beating the hell out of these guys.

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's really too bad about your car. I'd be down right pissed. But case in point, I wouldn't just leave my precious Viper at any Dodge dealer or service shop for any extended length of time nor do I trust just anyone with my car. I wait on all repair work and even watch the work being done to it. A few hours of docked pay to wait and watch is well worth it to ensure the work is done correctly and nothing terrible happens to the car.

Good luck with your case.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, that's pretty obnoxious, and I must say you took it better than I would have. I agree with the posts that you should never, if possible, drop a Viper off with the idea of "call me when it's done"A Viper quickly becomes a novelty piece when left at the dealer (especially when no one is working on it) I have a great dealer, and even so, the one time I didn't stay with the car, when I came to pick it up other customers were taking turns sitting in my car.(one guy was smoking). This incident lead to my dealer buying a car cover and promising to always cover the Vipers when the work is done(which he has). I may not have read the entire post, but I didn't see where you had run this up the line to dodge. I have to believe that this would get people's attention. It sounds to me like this guy (who took the car w/o permission) is lucky a warrant wasn't sworn out for his arrest.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember when my dealership warned the customers once during an orientation meeting about the fact that they would not be responsible for damage; that we all have car insurance.
All I can say is thank goodness I do most of my own work, but if it ever did happen, I'd want to see that liability issue in writting and all I know is that I would casue a great deal of people to have bad headaches by the time I got done with them. Remeber, there is always someone over someone who doesn't want to hear about problems and that is the person to speak to becasue that is the person who will resolve the problem.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Absolutely aweful!

Here's my thought (I'm not sure if you have the same insurance laws in Canada, so this may not have worked)

Your dealer/owner was actually right (and it would have hurt him anyway), as you COULD have gone to your insurance company, who would have immediately subrogated (a fancy word for pointing a finger at the guilty party) the claim to the dealer and HIS insurance company...but the advantage here is your insurance company would have used their legal expertise and in-house lawyers to do the work. You would NOT have been penalized since your insurance company more than likely (since your dealer/owner said they have insurance) would have not paid a dime of the claim.

It's unfortunate that now YOU have to pay an attorney, to try to recover expenses (and your attorney fees).

Some may disagree, but insurance companies CAN help without any risk of added premiums in a case like this. That's what you're paying them for!

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By the way, stay away from Salerno Dodge in Yorktown in Westchester. Best guy in the area is Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge in South Salem, NY

Andrew

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm driving 400 miles from NJ to NH to service mine at Fitzgerald Dodge. I've got the 15K service to complete and don't have faith in plain Dodge shops. BTDT and they've f___ed up.

-Avi

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Phil, I AM in your area and would like to know the name of the dealership so I can avoid them. Or better yet, so I can pull up into their lot, talk to them about getting a bunch of work done and then say "Oh that's right, you are the guys that crash Vipers after your service guys rip them off! Nevermind, I'll go somewhere else."

Mr. Houss is right though I believe. You should contact your insurance company and they will turn it over to the dealership's insurance company. You can still demand a replacement because of the value depreciation on your car now.

I had a similar experience but a little less destructive. I went to pick up my car from the local dealership after they did some minor work on it. They too had been JOYRIDING and I told them that resulted in the last time I used them, not to mention the last time I purchased a vehicle from them (I had bought two from them previously). But on my way home I hear this horrible creaking sound and the roof snaps off and goes rocketing down the road! They had forgotten to put the soft top back on properly. It should never have been off because the work they were doing wasn't near the top! They apparently wanted to go ******* on their joyride. So I just picked up the pieces of the top, drove back to the shop and marched in a threw the top on the showroom floor and said you guys have one week to get me a new one or I'm suing you for damages, and the lives you threatened by having the top come off at 60 mph. They replaced it immediately under their insurance.

In your case I would simply demand that they either replace your car with a perfect condition 98 or they give you a 2001 and keep your 98. I wouldn't pay a bloody cent in difference. Why should you? You didn't go there expecting to trade your car in.

PS. What do you want for your 98?

RoyV101621

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have left my Viper, at my 5-star service dealer, for months at a time. The car was stored inside and meticulously cared for, although, the car was not driveable.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jeez you should of gotten that car for free!!I should never really trust taking your car back to the same dealer only if there was a Recall.I hate hearing stories like these.I bet if some one had a Mclaren F1 they do the same.I would of gone to some one like John Hennessy who doesn't damadge your own car.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Phil,
This is disgusting, and your actions are probably more lenient than most of us would have put up with. Now, you mentioned a "joyride" to Seattle. Take your own joyride to Seattle and visit either Lynnwood Dodge (north of Seattle), or Monroe Dodge (Northeast of Seattle), both GREAT Viper folks.
Good luck with the 2001.

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If they are a 5 star dealer then Dodge should take away this designation. With viperdrummer's post of their website, everyone should take a minute to email them and let them know what you think of their 5 star service. They shouldn't get away with it. And if you have a great 5 star Dodge Dealer, make sure you let them and Dodge know you appreciate it. I would also make sure DC knows that the quality of the service arm makes an impact on any purchasing decision you will be making with any DC vehicles.

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Absolutely amazing. I had a problem with one of the dealerships here in KC but it was nothing of the magnitude you are talking about. When I take my car in for service (after my bad incident) I make sure they know I am going to wait for it. I sit in the service area and watch them. hahaha

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and I thank you for posting your experience so that others might take precautions.

You truly should engage with legal counsel before too much time elapses from the date of the event. The dealership is responsible for the merit with which its employees operate while "on the clock" (and in many cases while on the dealer's premises)and it appears as though the Service Manager and Dealership Owner have both ignored this. Having the dealer's insurance provider handle the matter does not address the overlying matter in which the dealership is expected to operate within ethical guidelines; it only remedies the physical damage to your car.

Last, I would mention contacting Daimler-Chrysler to your legal counsel as a point of leverage. No dealership wants to have their name brought to the forefront of a Corporation and placed before committee eyes.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for giving the dealership name Phil, I probably would have used them next time without your warning. So technically they have already lost one customer, me!

Anyone wishing to help Phil's case should send emails to
[email protected]

I like the idea of hounding them a little...we don't have a huge membership, but maybe there is some strength in numbers. Maybe they'll get Phil his new car if they get enough pressure. Phil, I would call DC and wage a formal complaint requesting that they have their 5 star dealership designation taken away.

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Phil...i/we seriously suggest you contact your local tv news station and see to it that this incident gets aired. you'll be a hero in doing so. i've already e-mailed them with........" you consider yourselves a 5 star dealership...i got your 5 star hangin...right here." don't you EVER.....i repeat....EVER mistreat another Viper for as long as you're allowed to service them. what you've done to that car will not go away unnoticed.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Had a Corvette that I took to the dealer for service. While moving the car in the shop to sweep under it, they ran into a pole hard enough to bend the frame (yeah right!). I refused to take the car back and ended up getting hosed for $7 large and buying a new vette. Had trouble with that one too and ended up having Chevy buy it back. Haven't had a Vette since.

Too bad people have to resort to legal avenues to force dealers to do the right thing. Dodge has stood behind each of my 3 Vipers to an extraordinary degree but the company has told me enough times that they cannot control the dealers. I don't know about Canadian law but here, the warning not to drive the car followed by the accident while being operated by an unauthorized agent of the dealership adds up to an intentional act and damages. See an attorney.

striker79

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok i am in training to be a benz tech and they train you to verify the complaint by driving the car if so required so what i want know from you guys is what is excessive in terms of driving your vipers.Is it excessive if the complaint is it spudders when you go up a hill and bucks that the tech not try to make a movie with the scan tool so you can go back to the dealership and go back thru and try to see what some of the readings are.That being said i find it lame that dodge would let just anybody that works at dodge drive your car thats just wrong because only master techs should be driving or working on your car definatly not a quality dealer.

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for everyone's input! The local dealer here in my area is MOUNTVIEW DODGE CHRYSLER in North Vancouver. Phiebert, you should avoid going to this dealership. Since I live in West Vancouver, so going to North Vancouver is my best choice. I just really hope that everyone will really pay attention whenever you take your car in to any dealership.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Phil.

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent them.

<SNIP>
I heard on the net that your poor customer Phil had his Viper illegaly commandered for a joyride, by one of your dealership's employees, and then they crashed it!!!

That ALONE is incredible enough, if true!!! And if true, bad enough that no one should buy a car from your dealership!!!

But to make matters worse, I hear your dealerships' owner offers to get him a new Viper, but still tries to make money on the deal!!! What a cheeky ******* , in my opinion! And then the dealership's owner wants to give him less for his wrecked Viper than he could get elsewhere!!!!

It appears that the insults and abuse of customers never end at your dealership!!!! You better be careful, because information travels very quickly on the internet, and your dealership could be ruined if this proves to be true. The public is not the same "sheeple" that they have been in the past.

Some emergency *** kissing is warranted here. Your dealership should do the right thing, and get him a new Viper for a fair price. The money you will lose through the bad publicity of a lawsuit is not to be compared with the cost of doing the right thing.

<unsnip>

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's it. Whenever I take a Viper in for work in the future, I'll very noticeably take digital pictures of the car from all angles, the odo, then speak with the owner and the service manager at the same time, and tell them (lie) that my wife is a lawyer of the Detroit Free Press (or other major subscription media journal).

That should scare the crap out of them.

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To all fellow Viper owners and friends, especially JMcGuire, ab, Chuck 98 RT/10, Motor City Mad Man, motomike, viperdrummer, Andrew2KRT10, Joseph Houss, AviP, phiebert, RoyV101621, viper GTS-R, BSchillinger, ruckdr, Kevin Salt, Steve Segal, Stephen Yap, Performin Norman, Scott J, Rick V2K, gtsviper, striker 79, Vic Rough, 2tall:

I really want to say THANK YOU to all of you. Thank you for all the information, concerns and suggestions!! Becoming a Viper owner really makes me PROUD, knowing that I not only own the very best car, Viper, but also knows that I've joined such a wonderful family of Viper owners.

Just to update you all, my lawyer had sent a demand letter to MOUNTVIEW CHRYSLER in north Vancouver, British Columbia asking them for damage compensation. If they are not willing to comply, then will go ahead to sue with civil litigation. In the meantime, my Silver GTS had already been sold and am waiting for my new 2001 Sapphire Blue GTS. Although I have to take all the money out from my own pocket to buy my new car and suffer all the lost of time right now, I hope justice will come to my path. I'll also contact the local newspapers to get the front page and post the whole story. It's simply just not fair to any car owners, not just Viper owners, to suffer this kind of thing.
God bless you all and have fun with our PROUD VIPER!

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

vet4snak,

I'm going to put it on both the Vancouver Sun and the Province. And I'm also going to put it in the North Shore local newspaper called the NORTHSHORE NEWS. In fact, I had already contacted the key personnel at the Vancouver Sun and he's going to send a reporter sometimes next week. I'll definitely let you know once I decide which day that the front page is going to be post. Most likely I will have it on the weekend edition since more people reads the weekend paper. And I also have spoken with the guy at VTV, a local television channel. It's all because the dealership don't even want to do anything for me, it's just not fair! That's why I want the public to know about this and watch out for them!!!

Good Luck on your future Viper purchase and when you get one, remember to check your car before it goes in to any dealer!

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good luck Phil, I'll watch for the article. If you do get one in the paper or on TV, let me know when/where to look for it.

If the reporter needs anyone else to talk to locally about poor service when getting exotic cars serviced, let me know. I'm not going to give the name of the dealership that broke my top because they were pretty good about replacing it (in fact that might be good for their story, your situation is the opposite of how the dealership reacted to my situation), but I'm still not impressed that it was broken because of one of their mechanics decided to take my car for a joyride. I guess I should just be glad they didn't crash my car. A naive mechanic with a Viper with Nitrous could result in quite a disaster!

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I sent them one to let them know their reputation is ruined.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If anything like that ever happend to me, I would tell the owner that 2 more vipers just like that one better mysteriously arrive on my doorstep or he will have himself a whole buttload of trouble! A good lawyer could get you ownership of that dealership you know... the publicity alone would create quite a stir.