Carbon Fiber Airbox

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want it to sell, revise the ad and get rid of the reference to H********. Other than that, that airbox sure is purdy.

OP
OP
O

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had two offers - one for $350 and one for $400. I really think it should do at least $500, heck a CAI for my last M3 was over $500 and it was a plastic Dinan piece.

It is very striking and GTS Dean on the other board said his even added 3-4 mph on the front straight at Texas Motor Speedway...

It will really change the look under the hood - serious Carbon Fiber...

OP
OP
O

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than the look I doubt there will be any performance upgrade so to me it's not worth near that price.

:usa:

Cool - I'll let the guys that ACTUALLY own one and have experience with them know that you 'doubt' the performance upgrade. Maybe they kept the receipt and can return theirs.

Thanks for your help.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great but doesn't make the car any faster. If you going for show and that WOW factor, by all means go for it. I have done a lot of these cosmetic changes before and it does look pretty. When it comes to resale value it adds nothing. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for this piece as it seems unproven when it comes to fit and efficiency.

OP
OP
O

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definately agree with the WOW factor. It is more striking in person than in the pictures...
Here is the link to the VA responses. GTS Dean seems to have had improvement, and I have heard from another guy that had one that he also had an improvement. I guess I'll defer to people that have had one versus people that have never tried one as it's easy for someone to type "I don't think it'll work..."
Carbon Fiber Airbox - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one that was on the car when I bought it and it fits well, hood closes fine, looks great etc etc. I can't tell you whether theres a performance increase since I haven't dyno'd or top ended with and without, but I would imagine performance increases, if any, are tangible only at the extreme (e.g. GTSDean's top end note).

The only issues I've had are:

(1) finding those little stainless fasteners that hold it together.....a neighbor in the fastener business searched forever couldn't find 'em and ended up making me a couple.

(2) after a while the press-fit of the K&N filters loosens up so the filter can fall forward under heavy braking. It doesn't go anywhere, just doesn't do any filtering when its lying down. Easy to fix, just cut an aluminum rod to length and use it to secure the filters in the vertical position.

It does look a whole lot better than the plastic OEM stuff though.

OP
OP
O

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(1) finding those little stainless fasteners that hold it together.....a neighbor in the fastener business searched forever couldn't find 'em and ended up making me a couple.

It does look a whole lot better than the plastic OEM stuff though.

They must have fixed this problem - mine uses SS phillips head screws...

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You're right...I guess Dodge forget to slap on a piece of fiberglass to seal up the accidental gaping hole on the hood. :rolleyes:

:rolaugh: You mean like they did with the race cars?

You must be registered for see images

It was actually found that at speed, the NACA duct had air blowing out of it from air pressure built up under the hood coming in from the grill. God I had that rollseyes smilie...

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this same box on my stolen Viper that I bought from Hennessey years ago. Paid over 900.00 inc. install. The box is awesome and I had no problems with filters coming out or loose either. The quality is exceptional and if I was to get another Gen 2 I would buy it.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GTSR race team found that they lost about 60 HP at speed (70mph and up ) due to a vacuum effect caused by the NACA duct, you won't see this on a dyno, but then they closed up the NACA duct and brought ram air in from the front facia/radiator area and then gained 60 more HP at high speed due to increasing teh manifold pressure from a vacuum to a much closer to atmosphere pressure. I believe the guy in charge was a guy named Gerry Malicot.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:rolaugh: You mean like they did with the race cars?

It was actually found that at speed, the NACA duct had air blowing out of it from air pressure built up under the hood coming in from the grill. God I had that rollseyes smilie...

Your earlier quote:

The NACA duct doesn't supply the airbox with air in Gen IIs.

...is simply not true and ignorant. The NACA duct does supply the airbox with air in the GenII production cars. The GTSR race cars, as GTSR-001 mentioned, found that air flow through the airbox is compromised around 70mph. The fact that the airbox does provide airflow, even up to 70mph, contradicts your earlier statement. I standby my :rolleyes:, :D.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your earlier quote:

...is simply not true and ignorant. The NACA duct does supply the airbox with air in the GenII production cars. The GTSR race cars, as GTSR-001 mentioned, found that air flow through the airbox is compromised around 70mph. The fact that the airbox does provide airflow, even up to 70mph, contradicts your earlier statement. I standby my :rolleyes:, :D.

Oh good god. Mumford even closed up his NACA duct on his ACR. Yes, air can pass through the NACA duct so if you are looking to be right on a technicality, please send me your address and I'll ship out a golden star sticker for you. If you want to get real, the NACA duct hurts the power of the car more than it helps. Clearly this has been observed by those who can run circles around us at the track.

If you look at my statement in context, someone seemed to think that the NACA duct was the primary supplier of air to the engine. At speed, when you need the power, this clearly is not not the case as it reduces air flow and power by a significant amount.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you look at my statement in context, someone seemed to think that the NACA duct was the primary supplier of air to the engine. At speed, when you need the power, this clearly is not not the case as it reduces air flow and power by a significant amount.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Your statement was out of context until GTS-R 001 provided more detail. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Curious, do you have a GenII and, if so, did you seal up the NACA duct as well? Any noticeable difference on the track and/or daily driving? How did you handle redirecting air to the airbox, Roe Front Fascia kit?

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Your statement was out of context until GTS-R 001 provided more detail. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Curious, do you have a GenII and, if so, did you seal up the NACA duct as well? Any noticeable difference on the track and/or daily driving? How did you handle redirecting air to the airbox, Roe Front Fascia kit?

Your love of using the the smilie which I stated I'm not a fan of just shows me your intentions. The amount of detail that I provided has no relevance to the matter at hand. I made a statement which is true and that is all I need to make. There are clearly facts to back up my statement, should I write a lesson for you or not on why my statement is true has no impact on the truth to my statement.

Are you trying to say I know nothing of vipers because I'm listed as an enthusiast? :rolaugh: Yes, I had a gen I, a gen II (which was totaled by a drunk driver while I sat in the car, parked, Thanksgiving night, thanks), and am considering a gen IV now if I don't buy another Final Edition. I'm not here to fight. I'm bashed up from the accident and my car is a wreck which I am really not happy about. I made a statement which is true and I'm not going to have a fight about it over the internet with someone who is just looking to start an arguement over a strawman.

Trying to somehow say I was wrong because I did not write a dissertation over why the NACA duct is not the primary supplier of air does not help anyone who is clicking this link to see a carbon fiber airbox.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your love of using the the smilie which I stated I'm not a fan of just shows me your intentions. The amount of detail that I provided has no relevance to the matter at hand. I made a statement which is true and that is all I need to make. There are clearly facts to back up my statement, should I write a lesson for you or not on why my statement is true has no impact on the truth to my statement.

:rolleyes: Your statement was incorrect and I commented on it so folks searching these threads and happen to come across something like that understand the details behind it. You were not clear, it was an ambiguos statement. Don't take it personally, simply elaborate on the details like GTS-R 001 did.

Are you trying to say I know nothing of vipers because I'm listed as an enthusiast? :rolaugh: Yes, I had a gen I, a gen II (which was totaled by a drunk driver while I sat in the car, parked, Thanksgiving night, thanks), and am considering a gen IV now if I don't buy another Final Edition. I'm not here to fight. I'm bashed up from the accident and my car is a wreck which I am really not happy about. I made a statement which is true and I'm not going to have a fight about it over the internet with someone who is just looking to start an arguement over a strawman.

Nope, in fact I didn't even catch the fact that you're an ethusiast (not that it matters). I do recall reading about your accident, sorry to hear about it. Hopefully you'll be back in a Viper soon. Personally, I'd get a GenIII and mod the heck out of it.

Trying to somehow say I was wrong because I did not write a dissertation over why the NACA duct is not the primary supplier of air does not help anyone who is clicking this link to see a carbon fiber airbox.

I never said you were wrong. I think when you look back and read the thread up to your statement you'll see your statement was ambiguous and certainly does not help people searching on the topic because its misleading as there were no supporting details.

See my response above. I'll drop it if you drop it. :D

FrankTHutchens

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NACA duct doesn't supply the airbox with air in Gen IIs.

"It's mid-December at Atlanta Motor Speedway, sunny but 45 degrees, and the wind is blowing briskly across the infield of the big NASCAR oval. The temperature and low humidity suggest that the big V-10 engine in the Viper coupe droning around the infield track should have no problem cranking out its rated 650 horsepower, but it isn't. Even though air is being rammed into this Viper's NACA hood intake at speeds above 160 mph, the V-10 is gasping for air. Engineers have discovered an unacceptable pressure drop across the race-prepared engine's stock air filters. "The dyno won't tell you this stuff, which is why we're here," says Viper engine chief Jerry Mallicoat.."

- Actually it's been proven that the NACA duct back flows air at speeds as low as 45mph as air rushes over the opening. While technically it can't be argued that the NACA duct doesn't supply any air to the airbox, the problem is that not enough air comes in, or stays in.

I like the funnel shape of the back of that CF airbox..reminds me of the Vector...though at 3x the price. Remember when David Wilkes was adding funnels to the back of OE airboxes and owners saw HP gains?

Real world testing rather than unfounded conjecture always wins out VT..

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"It's mid-December at Atlanta Motor Speedway, sunny but 45 degrees, and the wind is blowing briskly across the infield of the big NASCAR oval. The temperature and low humidity suggest that the big V-10 engine in the Viper coupe droning around the infield track should have no problem cranking out its rated 650 horsepower, but it isn't. Even though air is being rammed into this Viper's NACA hood intake at speeds above 160 mph, the V-10 is gasping for air. Engineers have discovered an unacceptable pressure drop across the race-prepared engine's stock air filters. "The dyno won't tell you this stuff, which is why we're here," says Viper engine chief Jerry Mallicoat.."

- Actually it's been proven that the NACA duct back flows air at speeds as low as 45mph as air rushes over the opening. While technically it can't be argued that the NACA duct doesn't supply any air to the airbox, the problem is that not enough air comes in, or stays in.

I like the funnel shape of the back of that CF airbox..reminds me of the Vector...though at 3x the price. Remember when David Wilkes was adding funnels to the back of OE airboxes and owners saw HP gains?

Real world testing rather than unfounded conjecture always wins out VT..

Interesting information. How many Vectors have you sold so far?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those airboxes are beautiful in person. Good luck with the sale.

So what is everyone's opinion when people used to cut out / remove the rain baffle in the stock airbox?
If there are any gains to removing the baffle, this box should have the same benefits if any.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery