cat "test pipe"

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cat \"test pipe\"

So, I think I'm going to try and put in a quick cat "test pipe" for "off-road use" in my '97 coupe. I have a Corsa 2.5" cat back system installed. I like it, but would like a little more noise. At the track.

I don't have the cash right now to go for headers, but plan on doing it at some point. I don't want to buy a 2.5" high flow cat before I get headers, which will probably have me wanting a 3" high flow cat. Anyway, I got more time than money this week, but you probably don't care about that...

I plan on waltzing down to my local muffler shop, and having them make a section of pipe with a flared section on one end. I'm then going to hack off my cat with a sawzall, and clamp the new pipe in place.

So, anyone want to talk me out of it, poke holes in my plan, or just give me some helpful advice? What happens if they don't have stainless? Would it be bad to sandwich a piece of regular steel pipe between two stainless pipes?

Thanks.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: cat \"test pipe\"

Do it - if you want more noise - you will be satisfied.
Regular steel welded to stainless is no problem - but you can pick up
stainless from many places - J C Whitney has 3' sections for around $35 in 3".

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: cat

You will need to get down flow Simms from Sean Roe. I hav e them on my car and they work awesome! But I have a 3" system. Big difference in sound.

JMO22

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: cat

Andy,

Wondered if you followed through with your project? I was thinking about some "off-road" use myself. If so, did you have any learnings in the process? Did you like the results? Roughly, what was the cost?

Thanks,

OP
OP
A

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \"test pipe\"

Total cost for two 25" pieces of pipe, and two clamps was about $30. It was pretty easy to do. For a 97, or your 96, you won't need the simms. They are only needed for OBDIII cars.

I haven't really driven that much on it yet, since it has rained almost every day for the last few weeks. So far, from what I can tell, it's pretty loud at idle, and very loud at WOT. At cruising speeds, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference in noise though. With a corsa exhaust, I still mostly hear gear whine on the highway, not exhaust noise. The smell doesn't seem that objectionable either. I can't say that I really feel anything power wise.

I'd give it a thumbs up for sound quality. Cost is dirt cheap, and it is very easy to do. If you don't like it, you can always put the old ones back in, or go to high flow cats.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Just before Sebring last week I cut off my cats, partly for the sound and power, but also to reduce heat on-track. I had already cut off my mufflers. I have what's left of the stock exhaust system including the resonators, with Roe's cat sims. I've had no codes, the increase in power was noticable, and the car sounds better than it ever has. It's extremely loud, you'll want to go up a gear and keep the RPMs low in neighborhoods or around Johnny Law.

My brother recently drove behind me and Terry from Tampa who has a 96 RT/10 with Corsa cat-back and hi-flow cats -- my brother reports our cars sounded identical. It sure sounded that way to me from the driver's seat.

So -- if you've heard a Corsa cat-back on stock headers, you've heard my no-cat/no-muffler stock exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte