Catalytic Converters: Suggestions Please

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So Damned Yankees 3 strikes and your out speech has gotten to me :D

I know, this has probably been beaten to death but:

I need some high flow cats. My 98 GTS has a Borla Exhaust and custom straight pipes at the moment. The Borla has the 2.5" reducer welded on at the end where the cat pipe comes into the Borla resonator. I've considered just snagging a set of 2.25" cats, clamping them in and being done OR getting a set of 3" cats, transition pieces and welding it all in. Does anyone have pictures of their clamped/welded in setups using 3"and 2.5" cats on the stock downpipes? I have 3 sets of downpipes so I can do a custom set without hacking up my stock cats and pipes.

I'm changing the pipes out because:
  1. Several people have had OBD2 check issues at emissions stations with 02 Simulators (which I have). So I am worried that I will not pass.
  2. The car makes me feel like a cop magnet, its so freakishly loud that I keep an eye out for Mr. Lawdog constantly.
  3. It scares small children
  4. Others would like to point out that I am harming the environment
I do love the sound of the car I just think sooner or later going catless will get me in trouble. If I was not in an overly aggressive law enforcement area where people's cars get impounded for these types of things I would not worry. I just happen to live in one of the 6 counties in Virginia that require emissions.

I would consider buying a used set, or even a used header/cat package if anyone has some for sale.

Last edited:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock downpipes with 2.5" cats to Borlas.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Chimazo,

What cats are those? I see you just clamped it to the downpipes.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chimazo,

What cats are those? I see you just clamped it to the downpipes.

They are the 2.5" metallic substrate cats from Roe. They are just clamped on, but are a tight fit with plenty of pipe going into the cat piece, so they shouldn't leak. If they do, I have a welder... I also am using the rear Borla muffler section. Below is a pic with their new exhaust tips.

BTW, the car is still in the air and apart, should you want to hear or see it in person. I'm just 2 miles off of 270N in Montgomery Co.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hrmm, maybe I'll just go with the 2.5" for the easy factor. I wont ever be going for monster HP numbers and I guess I could just flip the cats if I ever so desired.

Where did you get them? John B?

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2.5" will bolt on on both ends, the downpipe and the muffler. I said the same thing, easier and quieter than 3", especially since I don't have headers. I figure if Corvettes can make 600-700hp on a 2.5" system...
I bought them directly from Roe.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've heard my car right? I have the Random Tech cats clamped in. I go for emissions here in a few months...the RT cats are supposed to be 50 state legal, so should be no issues.

OP
OP
C

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Kelly,
You wont have an issue. You're throwing no codes with everything hooked up properly. I have heard your car. I might just go with a set of 2.5" cats to make it easy. I don't think any more performance modifications are in my future. I'm waiting on a few people to get back to me about some 3" sets though.

Thanks

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through California smog last week with Random Tech cats and Edelbrock Headers. No problems. Car ran slightly cleaner with the factory cats, but the high-flow cats are still running very clean. Had the Random Tech cats on there for year now and everything is still good.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through California smog last week with Random Tech cats and Edelbrock Headers. No problems. Car ran slightly cleaner with the factory cats, but the high-flow cats are still running very clean. Had the Random Tech cats on there for year now and everything is still good.

That's good to hear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc