Belanger header and motor mounts

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again! I’m back with another modification question. I have a Corsa cat back exhaust sitting in the garage and Belanger headers with high flow cats scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I plan on doing the install myself since most say it’s pretty DIY, just takes a little time. My question is this:

I’d like change the motor mounts to polyurethane since I’ve already done the transmission mount. I’m right in thinking this would be the perfect time since the exhaust will be fully removed right?

Also, since I plan on removing the valve covers for better access, should those get new gaskets? And would you recommend a new set of OEM gaskets for the exhaust manifold or just reuse the ones on there already? I’ve seen mixed thoughts on the fiber gaskets supplied with the headers so I’ll probably not use those.

Thanks!

MarkL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have good access to the mounts with the headers out. You might need to mess with the mounts regardless to center the header collectors through the hole so it’ll be good to have them handy.

My research took me to getting new OEM gaskets.

Good luck with the install!

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll have good access to the mounts with the headers out. You might need to mess with the mounts regardless to center the header collectors through the hole so it’ll be good to have them handy.

My research took me to getting new OEM gaskets.

Good luck with the install!
Thanks for the info. I’ll be putting on new mounts this weekend. It was a ***** getting the old headers and exhaust off. Plus the previous owner had a cruise control module installed and the box for it is mounted right near cylinder 1 on the driver’s wheel well so that decrease room by about 3”. On top of that the heat shield on the driver’s side was literally wrapped all the way around the front portion of the exhaust manifold so that was a nightmare to remove.

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and when unplugging the 23 year old spark plug wires I noticed one connection had orange goo around the housing. So I’ll be replacing those now too. Lol it’s always something.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On top of that the heat shield on the driver’s side was literally wrapped all the way around the front portion of the exhaust manifold so that was a nightmare to remove.
Was it the OE Shield or header wrap? the early Gen 2's when run hard at the track were radiating heat off cyl. #1. So much that it rapidly aged the PS hose and led to failures, sometimes combined with unabated flames. The '98+ cars had an extra extension fold on the shield to mitigate that problem.

OP
OP
StumpDDS

StumpDDS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was it the OE Shield or header wrap? the early Gen 2's when run hard at the track were radiating heat off cyl. #1. So much that it rapidly aged the PS hose and led to failures, sometimes combined with unabated flames. The '98+ cars had an extra extension fold on the shield to mitigate that problem.
It must’ve been the OE shield. I don’t plan on running it hard at a track but you mentioning that concerns me about the power steering hose and heat from the new headers.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a difference between running a car at the track, and running it HARD. With headers, I automatically call that HARD use and you should equip it to protect everything near the pipes from extreme radiant heat. I've seen a lot of melted plastic & wires and overheated fluid issues in Vipers with no shields when they get extended lapping sessions.

Attachments

• 01-2021 Engine.jpg
    01-2021 Engine.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 40
  • 07-22 engine sm.jpg
    07-22 engine sm.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello again! I’m back with another modification question. I have a Corsa cat back exhaust sitting in the garage and Belanger headers with high flow cats scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I plan on doing the install myself since most say it’s pretty DIY, just takes a little time. My question is this:

I’d like change the motor mounts to polyurethane since I’ve already done the transmission mount. I’m right in thinking this would be the perfect time since the exhaust will be fully removed right?

Also, since I plan on removing the valve covers for better access, should those get new gaskets? And would you recommend a new set of OEM gaskets for the exhaust manifold or just reuse the ones on there already? I’ve seen mixed thoughts on the fiber gaskets supplied with the headers so I’ll probably not use those.

Thanks!
I have both a gen 1 and gen 2 Vipers, I did not have to remove the valve covers on either one to install headers..

JRSViperRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a difference between running a car at the track, and running it HARD. With headers, I automatically call that HARD use and you should equip it to protect everything near the pipes from extreme radiant heat. I've seen a lot of melted plastic & wires and overheated fluid issues in Vipers with no shields when they get extended lapping sessions.
Are those heat shields self made or a pre made kit?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They were standard pieces from https://thermalcontrolproducts.com/...e/products/stainless-steel-heat-shield-8-x-22. The ones I got were 11x22. I had to make adapters to mount them, cut plug wire and mounting holes and finish the holes neatly. They are fantastic performers, but geeze, what a challenge. I would recommend trying to reform the OE's to fit your headers.

I used the 8x22s to tuck neatly behind the cats on the inboard side. They fit perfectly.

Attachments

• Exhaust plumbing 2.jpg
    Exhaust plumbing 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala