Changing Rotors for Track Days

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been doing track events for about the last 9 months. I change pads from EBC Greens for street and Brakeman 3 for track. Scuffing the rotors between brake pad swaps is a pain. Would it be easier to just have a dedicated set of rotors for the track and swap pads and rotors?

Any comments on the pros/cons or tips would be appreciated.

If I go with the dedicate track rotors I'll probably use Stoptech Aero Rotors.

BTW I plan on doing 4 - 5 events a year.

Thanks,

Ken

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
What you need is some stripes, Ken! :D

Sounds like you are getting into it good.

I'll be back soon. Can't stay away....miss it....

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having a set of dedicated, bedded rotors and pads for track days is a GOOD THING. Rotors and pads should be bedded together and kept together. Stock rotors for EBCs and some StopTechs for Brakeman pads. Don't mix pad compounds with the same rotors.

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only issue with changing rotors for track days is having to
pull off the rear calipers. Not hard, just a PITA. Scuffing the rotors
is easier IMO.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using the stock rotors with EBC's for Street and track and things seem to have worked very well. Only recently, after having done some work to the car and getting some more speed on the straights, and more work having been done this week, I am afraid I will have even more speed and brakes may be something more of an issue. I was thinking of going StopTec rotors, and still the EBC's for street and Track. I'm thinking the Stop tech rotors will run cooler than the stock. I don't want to change pads &/or rotors for street and track if I can help it.

Would like to continue this post..........
Interested in in-put.

Andrew

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll have to double check the part # when I get home, but I get them from Archer Racing. Archer first put them on for me at VOI6 in St. Louis. I have a set home, due to put on maybe this weekend. They are softer than stock, so the pads become the weak link rather than the rotor. I rather go through pads, than rotors. Once, Archer put on a harder pad at Watkins by mistake, and I tore up my stock rotors. Since then, I put new Stock rotors on with the original pads I had from St. Louis and like I sadi, braking has been nice, and everything has held together. However, recently, I was at Pocono and got some serious back-straight speed and thought I noticed some fade. Now, I am getting some more work done to the car this week and am thinking that even more speed may come along and then I might really feel that fade. I don't know for sure. Could be just that I didn't start with fresh pads for the last event.....we'll see.

AC

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
continued.........

I really have to evaluate this properly. I should flush my fluid out, change it, bleed everything, change the pads to fresh, keep the same stock rotors I have and see what happens, then figure out what is best. Can't just change this and that with no logic or I won't really know what the potential problem is.

AC

OP
OP
G

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input (even yours Vic!)

I'm happy with the brakeman3 and stock rotors but I know that having dedicated rotors and pads for the track is best. I just have so little time to prep for the track that saving a little time or frustration would be a great help.

ViporXXX is the rear caliper on the 2000 the same as 2001? I dont think the 2000 has ABS but does that matter for the rear caliper?

Thank,

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4