Check Engine Codes 0138 - 0137

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some help diagnosing these codes. The manual say's
0138- 1/2 02 sensor shorted to ground
0137 - 1/2 02 sensor shorted to voltage

I have been getting these codes since I installed the s/c. I don't know if it is referring to the fronts or rears. The rears have been replaced with sims- maybe they aren't wired right??

The fronts are in the belangers in a single tube and haven't been relocated to the collector yet. Also they have never been replaced. I do have a set of new ones here but was going to wait until the bungs are welded in the right spot.

Also - would these codes effect performance?

Thank for any help!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1/2
First number is Bank
1 I believe is left, 2 is right
Second number is upstream or downstream
1 upstream, 2 downstream

1/2 = left bank, downstream

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my 1997 GTS service manual its says 0137 short to ground and 0138 short to voltage both right rear.

Glen

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I probably have the wires reversed on the right rear 02 simm. Great help guys thanks!

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm what the designation 1/2 means? I reversed the power and ground wires on my right rear 02 simms after getting codes 0138 & 0137. Now I am getting error codes
0138 1/2 02 shorted to voltage
0151 2/1 02 shorted to ground

0138 would indicate there is still a problem with the wiring on the rear right 02 simm and 0151 would indicate a problem with the front left 02 simm if Glen97 is correct and 97 codes are the same for a 99.

Does anyone know if these codes put the pcm in a safe mode loop?

Thanks
Gary

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I keep getting codes from my PCM as well (I get lean codes). After a thousand miles or so the engine craps out after half throttle. I lcear the codes, hook up the old 02 sensors and the problem goes away for awhile, then craps again. I think the fault is the ODBII quad 02 sensor program. It seems to change the adaptives and cause WOT problems after awhile. Playing around with the rear sims/sensors seems a temp fix. I read of a couple similar problems with n/a engines and yet some people don't even bother wth simms, they just leave the 02 sensor hanging (from various threads here) and don't have problems? Maybe they don't put on more than 500mi. per year?

I'm going to contact a few people and see if the quad 02 sensor program can be removed from the PCM. I think that would fix the problems.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '99 Chassis manual agrees with the codes being as earlier stated. Not sure of the 1/2 2/1 part as there's no info on that in the code listings.

Codes should all be the same. I'm running a '96 ECU in my '01.

Ted

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so I am a ******* and I need to ask. When someone say's right side of car that to me normally means the passenger side- but now I am thinking - right bank- that might be the drivers side of the motor. that would explain why I still have the check engine code and a new one.
Can anyone clear this up for me

Thanks!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any front/back, left/right car directions are from "sitting in the driver's seat.

Ted

Glen97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any front/back, left/right car directions are from "sitting in the driver's seat.

Ted

Ted's correct. I also show the 151 code is the left front drives side short to ground. It also says 02 sensor voltage to low, test after cold start.