Cheer on SRT's Viper GTSR during the ALMS @ VIR! Oct 5th

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
October 5th – American Le Mans Series Race - VIR (http://www.alms.com/schedule/2013)
We are working to get special VIP access from SRT for our VCA members

If you have not been watching the ALMS this year, then you have been missing out. You can even watch the recent Baltimore Grand Prix ALMS event in its entirety here: http://youtu.be/rqEEf719eJI (WARNING: Viper wreckage @ the starting line before the race even gets to turn 1! - it was INSANE). There have been some amazing races this year and we finally get one in our backyard! We should be able to do some parade laps on the track also!

This is going to be very close to the date of the Biltmore event, but we are just shooting for making this a Saturday only event... drive up, have fun, drive back home. Do not purchase tickets or anything yet, SRT is still working on the hospitality suite agreement. I want to show SRT that the club supports them at the member level in an unwavering fashion. You will be able to attend all weekend if you would like (I think there are 4 days of testing/racing in total).

We had a pretty good showing at the NARRA race @ VIR despite some awful weather, and everyone had a blast! I cannot wait for this event.... Put it on your calendar

Out of everything we had planned this year: Dyno Day, Mopars @ The Rock, NARRA Race, Mopar Week, Biltmore, Other meets, etc... This is the one I am most excited about.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, I was waiting on them for the updated hospitality suite info and it looks like they finally posted it.

Any Carolinas members planning to attend?

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SATURDAY ONLY-The SRT® hospitality area offers a VIP experience at the track, all within a climate-controlled lounge. Guests can watch a live, commercial-free broadcast feed of the race, receiving an uninterrupted view of all the action on the racetrack. For those SRT owners that want to have one of the best views of the track, access to the roof of the SRT hospitality area delivers that. Throughout the entire day, catered meals and beverages are provided part of the full SRT hospitality experience. Please note: to park in the SRT car corral, you must have an SRT vehicle.

Please Note: Advanced ticket prices, as shown on this site, will only be available up until 3 business days before the start of the event, after which tickets must be purchased at the gate upon arrival.

You can purchase tickets here: Click to purchase!

We aren't going to be able to get any further discount on tickets and the corral is for all SRT vehicle. I will most likely be going just for Saturday (with a passenger). The club may be able to subsidize part of the cost of a ticket, I'll keep everyone posted, but you can go ahead and purchase your tickets now. We'll figure it out after Biltmore.

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got this email:

Online tickets to the Oak Tree Grand Prix end Sunday night at 11:59pm! Tickets are $10 less online, so buy your tickets today! Don't forget kids 12 and under are free! While you're at the track, bring your family to the Kids Zone, located just below the Pavilion in the grassy shaded area.

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biltmore was great... but now we have a quick turnaround for the ALMS Race at VIR! Crazy week!

Buy your tickets tonight if possible for the SRT corral. The club will reimburse a decent percentage of the ticket price.

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a map from SRT regarding the hospitality suite and corral parking. Sent it to Rich. Email me if you are coming....

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will actually be taking my mother with me to the race.... she thinks "parade laps" mean "parade float speed".... should be very interesting. :2tu:

Stef is freaking out because she just found out Patrick Dempsey will be there racing with his porsche team

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it was HOT, but a nice day. This is the first time I have ever attended one of these races and really enjoyed it. There were 5 Vipers in attendance. SRT provided a corral parking, a great lunch, and we got to hang out in the air conditioned hospitality lounge. The only problem I had after watching those races was trying to observe the speed limit while driving home. :)

I don't have a large selection of photos, but here are a few quick shots I took:

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were dozens of Lambos out there and we were kicked from doing our parade laps. They did offer us a consolation of riding full throttle in a Gen5 Viper around the track for a single lap, though. It was fun, but I drove mine up there to get it out on the track.

I will definitely go again next year, but plan it out a bit better and perhaps not bring the Viper.

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some lady. Seriously, they just have these pilot drivers that go to these events and rip spectators around the track.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched the race, wow some scary moments there with the Porsche's! SRT were doing well, then something happened? Not sure if it was pit strategy, then the hood issue with the 93 car :( Thought at one point we were going to be in the top 3 but sadly it was not to be. Loved the closing laps with the two corvettes bumper to bumper, very exciting, it was like drafting in a NASCAR race :2tu:

OP
OP
M

mendler23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT were doing well, then something happened

They received a stop-go penalty and were required to pit, not sure exactly why

Was that just for folks in the SRT corral or could anyone line up a ride?

It was for "VIPs". Seemingly those that paid for the corral parking, there were only 4 of us for SRT. I think the cars only did 5 laps total (1 per person).

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette won the manufactures title after VIR I believe and I just cannot figure out why SRT was so strong at COTA and VIR for the first half over the Vettes and then fell back in both races.