Chevy ups the Ante.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If true, GM is not looking to equal or marginally up the ante.
It's looking to destroy the completion.

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish it wasn't the truth, but I really see Chevy running away with this one. I will always love the Gen2 cars, but I don't think we are going to see much come from Viper in the future at least in factory set ups. I hope they make the Gen5 tunable so the aftermarket can pick up where SRT stopped.

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy prob anticipates a TT Viper (the next logical step in evolution when a new drivetrain is certified), which it clearly will NOT destroy...this news will force SRT to move up its timetable on the new motor. jmo ;)

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would keep the Ferrari - Viper conspiracy stories to a minimum... after reading Maurice's book it sheds a lot of light on the development process and none of it mandated the neutering of the Viper. Even if the Viper made 1,000hp to the Ferrari's 700hp it wouldn't make a significant dent in any of Ferrari's sales, simply because the Viper isn't perceived to be a Ferrari level marque.

Just like the Volkswagen Phaeton, when compared to the Audi A8, people had a problem buying a Phaeton because they felt their neighbours would think less of the Phaeton owner (ie. I just lost my job...).

I believe the Viper program will be competitive with the high end Corvettes. The Gen V cars aren't even released yet...give it *some* chance to get back on its feet and then you can complain :D

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they get the mentioned target near 700 hp in the new ZR1 it will be all over for the new Viper as far as performance. Stock for stock....

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette Owner: "My new ZR1 has 700 hp at the engine! Can your Viper beat that?"

Viper Owner: (mumbles) "My Viper has 355 13 inch wide rear tires......"..... stumbles away....

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy prob anticipates a TT Viper (the next logical step in evolution when a new drivetrain is certified), which it clearly will NOT destroy...this news will force SRT to move up its timetable on the new motor. jmo ;)

Won't happen.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My perspective:

1. Competition is good, this will put pressure on SRT to also up the ante on the Viper
2. We heard that the C7 Corvette "met their goal of 3,000 pounds." Untrue rumor, which was mentioned shortly before their reveal.
3. We also heard that the C7 base model would be faster around the track than the C6 Z06. At an estimated 3350 pounds (if memory serves) and an estimated 450 HP, it's not going to beat the lighter, more powerful C6 Z06. Untrue rumor.
4. Those who want to suggest that it will be "all over for the Viper" over this - that's pretty pessimistic. SRT will be on their game too. There's an ACR coming, they will continue to improve the Viper, and some sort of special track edition, at least that's the rumor. SRT won't remain static, they'll up the ante too.
5. I like Corvettes, I hope they do acheive significant performance gains in the Z06 and ZR1.

Still, I'm not putting a lot of weight on the rumor mill, at this early stage.

Last edited:

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I say let Chevrolet come out with the ZR1 and put it's numbers up and "then" let SRT do it's magic. Chevrolet always seems to let SRT put out it's car and then voila, Chevrolet puts out the stuff it can copy. The Gen V came out with it's new interior, great seats, incredible looking HUD, vents over the wheels, new headlights (led), etc. and just about every improvement on the Gen V is almost a clone on the C7. GM isn't original at all and does a great job of copying the competition. Once they show their cards, then SRT should come out with it's version of FI and seal the deal. Sometimes you have to let your opponent show it's cards first.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even close...low to mid 70's, invoice at high 60's.

Maybe it has changed this year, but I was looking the last two to buy one and they were all in the $90's range - you simply could not find a cheap Z06, they were optioning ALL of them out with the carbon packages which made the $90k range the average

They were only cranking out ~500 Z06's the last few years while ZR1s were in the 1500 range (and fell)

looking now the avg seems to be in the $85k range

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are way off on your Z06 prices! I bought mine new for $69k. You can find them everywhere for under $70k, or under $65k if you get a base model (1LZ) Z06.

A fully loaded 2013 Z06, with carbon hood, carbon fiber package, premium wheels, colored calipers, ZR1 spoiler, 60th anniversay edition package, etc can be had for under $80k.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...k-chevrolet-needem-gone-up-to-18-500-off.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...04-what-17-500-off-13-z06-now-til-2-28-a.html

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
btw, you can find a new ZR1 for $99k (or less!). I just found 3 sub $100k new 2013 ZR1s on cars.com.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's give SRT a chance. Let Chevy set the bar, and then SRT can bust in guns a blazin'. I ain't worried.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's give SRT a chance. Let Chevy set the bar, and then SRT can bust in guns a blazin'. I ain't worried.

Used to believe that was true Red, but then you see that SRT was okay with the Gen 5 equalling (being generous here) the outgoing ZR1 and you have to wonder what they are thinking. Performance used to be paramount, now not so sure it's just not really cool interior and attracting the more well heeled demographic.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '09 Z06 brand new for mid-60s, and it wasn't a base model. The only expensive Z06's are those with the carbon brake upgrades and "Z07" track package. Those cars are basically ZR1 Corvettes with an LS7 instead of the supercharged LS9. Many Chevy dealers sell at invoice, BTW.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm all for giving chances but I hope they take this more seriously than they did with the Challenger vs the Mustang and Camaro:dunno:
Thankfully the Challenger was never conceived to compete with anything Ford and GM offer. It is a unique vehicle.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta say guys, that SRT hasn't impressed with their marketing approach as of late. It's been horrible in fact. I want the Viper to conquer as much or more than any of you. I have had multiple Vipers and I really want the Gen V to be my next one. It probably will be even with the soup sandwich that has been their PR campaign as of late. I just want them to do better. Shut your mouths, stop giving un-sorted cars to rags for testing and do BETTER.

GM has impressed me with the C7. It looks decent and will probably run away from the Viper barring some sort of forced induction.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The legacy that Lutz built. I'm tired of ragging on the Viper so I'll keep it brief. The bean counters at Fiat (don't forget they own Ferrari) are more interested in a mega profitable car than a mega-halo car to promote the brand. You all in the know can tell me to you are blue in the face that sandbagging the Viper to keep Ferrari on top is a silly conspiracy, but I don't buy it. The Viper is supposed to be the Ferrari slayer. It supposed to slay every damn thing for a fraction of the price. While I still won't buy a Corvette because they do nothing for me, Kudos to Chevy for having the balls to keep raising the bar. The new Z06 and ZR1s are going to be beasts!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave